CALLING ALL EDUCATORS/TEACHERS!

Options
Dear fellow teachers/educators,

As you all know, our jobs are (or, at least have the tendency to be) extremely unpredictable, fast-paced, and busy! (Along with being rewarding, fun, worthwhile, etc.) :wink:

That said, I thought it would be a good idea to start a post here for those of us with this unique occupation to empathize with one another as well as provide each other with tips and support to staying healthy during the school year. Because, I don't know about you, but my eating/exercise/sleep/etc. habits are MUCH better when I am on break. :tongue:

So, what advice is out there? As a 4th year teacher, I am especially excited to potentially hear from the more "seasoned" educators. :happy:

:heart: Laura

Replies

• KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I am going in to my 7th year teaching...I am a Kindergarten teacher. I know exactly what you mean about eating better and sleeping better when on break...I get so stressed during the school year I am constantly diving into the chocolate!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I hope you teach grade school cuz you're totally hotter than any teachers I ever had...LOL...Im not into girls, but I can respect beauty.
  • jerseynegrita06
    jerseynegrita06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree that I'm much better during break, but I try to keep myself from getting hungry and pigging out by having snack when the kids have snack. I haven't figured out how to work out as much as I do during break b/c I'm usually too pooped to wake up extra early or too exhausted after work to exercise.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i am not a teacher any more but I do have 3 kids and it is very hard to find time usually when summer hits or a break it is just the oposite here and all my hard work goes south because I have to plan around 3 kids and all of their activities.

Some of my teacher friends mke sure they find classes in our gym that they can do both while on break (earlier in the day or later at night) and after a work day.

i usually run into my son's kindergarten teacher at spin classes during her breaks or summer time since she can finally get there in the mornings and I can put my kids in the free gym daycare.

i guess you have to plan to work outside the box in terms of time and availability. Maybe you can start up a lunch time walk group that worked for our staff too....or go out and play witht he kids on the playground or get in a quick something in the school gym.

Good luck and have fun with it.

maybe plan lunches and snacks ahead and bring them in and bring in water to chug during the day too.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ten years teaching 6th grade math in a middle school. Love every day of my job!!!

I actually find it easier to stay on track during the school year than during breaks. During school I know that I only have certain windows when I can work out so I do it, but in the summer there is always time to procrastinate. Additionally, during school I am not hanging around a fridge and snacks. I order a salad from the cafeteria every day and keep protein bars in my classroom for when I need a snack. Can't wait to hear from everyone else!

-Nancy
  • cfrasson
    cfrasson Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been teaching special education for 7 years...I don't consider myself to be "seasoned" at all. However, giving up caffeine was the BEST thing I could do. The only caffeine I encounter now is if it is in green tea or chocolate, which I limit. It also makes your dining out experiences less expensive as water is free! :)

For me, I try to walk around as much as possible during the school day. I have a step counter which is helpful and keeps me on track. Wear comfy shoes (I used to teach solely in heels. Not anymore!!!) and get your kids up and moving too! Use your school's gym/exercise facilities whenever possible too. The only time I really have problems with not getting enough exercise is in the winter. Midwest winters really suck, especially for people who like to walk/run outside and who need the sun!
  • scamp45879
    scamp45879 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will be starting my 9th year as a High School Science teacher. To combat the stress, get a great workout and lose a few pounds a group of us starting exercising right after school. We bought a set of Zumba DVDs and worked out in my classroom. It was great fun. We lost weight, could vent to one another about school and home (when we could breath) and overall were happier because we lowered our stress level. We even had a few students stop in from time to time and want to work out with us.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I know I tend to let my eating habits get crazy during the school year. I'm always rushed in the mornings, so no breakfast. (This is typical me. Never really ate breakfast, but I do feel better when I have the chance.) And when there's a really busy day at school or I have a pressing deadline, I'll skip lunch to get an extra 50 minutes to get work done.

AND, the worst part, in the teachers' office/workroom (which kinda doubles as our lounge) someone is always putting snacks on the table: from apple slices to ice cream and cake. There is something most everyday!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from other teachers about how they "stay the course" as well as maybe hearing some cute teaching stories.

~TheGlitterMouse
  • naturalbeauty47
    Options
    I'm a 4 yr teacher as well and I totally agree! Things can get out of order when the school year start. My goal this year is to keep more healthy snacks in my class because I always have sweets, mostly candy that I buy during holidays but I am going to try to limit that as much as possible. Candy is my #1 weakness and I only eat it at work and hardly ever at home.

Exercising however is not a problem. It's in my schedule and I come straight home and get it over with. It's during the break that I have a problem with this one. :ohwell:
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    Options
    I"ve been teaching for 15 years and it's very stressful.....I usually turn to food or wine to help me deal w/ paperwork and stress. I"m trying to exercise to help me feel better and less stressed and it's helping. We have a walking club at school so I usually join other teachers if I have time after school. It's never ending during the school year!
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I taught last year, but only half days...this year will be my first year teaching a full day, at a new school, and in first grade! I also started my masters this summer! Man, I will be busy! The exercise will not stop though! That is what will help me get through the year :)
  • Pirate1974
    Pirate1974 Posts: 21
    Options
    I am a middle school administrator and often struggle with eating and getting in my exercise throughout the year. I have come to terms with the fact that the only uninterrupted time I have during the school year is at about 5:00 in the morning. I know that I will be able to get my workouts in so I try to go in early before school to exercise. By the end of the week however I am usually really tired and getting up that early gets very tough. So, if my program (I use Insanity and P90X) is a 6 day program, I make "day one" either on Thursday or Friday as I can usually motivate myself with the logic that it is the end of the week and I can make it to the weekend. That then gives me Saturday and Sunday to get work outs in and also rest. That leaves the last couple days at the beginning of a week when I have some more energy after the weekend. Leaving Tuesday or Wednesday as my rest day.

As far as the nutrition side, I try to make sure I have breakfast and lunch. Then I try to bring quick snacks like bars or protein drinks that I can consume quickly and easily.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing from other educators.
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am going into my 18th year of teaching. I currently teach 2nd grade. I eat better during the school year because I like the daily routine and I don't have the time during the day to snack. :smile: I have a fridge in my classroom that I stock with water, Jell-O, yogurt, fruit, and whatever else I can find that is healthy. I also keep 100 calorie snacks and a bag of almonds. I try to stay away from the cafeteria food. I also cook extra servings the night before, so that I have something for lunch the next day. You can save a lot of time by making a huge salad on Sunday for the week. Our PE/PTO just built a running/walking path behind our school. I am planning on using it quite often. :smile:

Jen
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone:happy:
    I have been teaching middle school math for 17 years. I love the job, but it can be stressful, and it requires lots of work beyond the school day. As a result, I have less time to focus on maintaining a healthy lifestyle during theschool year. I always gain weight during the school year. Since school ended, I have lost weight as I am walking and working out EVERY day. I think this thread is a great idea:bigsmile:

I don't know how to "friend" anyone on MFP, so if you want to add me, please do!
    Karen
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    Make sure you always bring your own healthy snacks and have plenty of water. I actually have a mini-fridge and microwave in my room so I can keep all of my stuff secure...and if I don't feel like dealing with the other teachers, I can just stay put! Oh, and during my off period, I would walk around the school, back and forth...that got a lot of steps in! (We have pedometers.)
  • jaybee5310
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am a 34 year veteran, mostly in special ed. Now I've taken on a 2nd job tutoring in my off hours. Yes, I'm much more diligent during the breaks, but during the school year I try to 1) Eat something for breakfast, 2) take something healthy and full of protein for lunch for example a salad with cheese, or sun flower seeds or tuna, 3) I take my own low fat snack to eat while the kids are eating like jello or pudding. That way I get that sweet fix too. And I always have water available to drink. On the nights I'm not tutoring I MAKE myself workout in some way shape or form, and of course always on the weekends. I really like the fact of having a support system among a fitness group.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    LOL...I am so "seasoned" I'm spoilt.... I know exactly what you mean though.... I have been retired for a year now and have never felt better in my life! I took early retirement and have been enjoying some ME time.... I have been a teacher for 29 years- 4 of those years were spent as Principal and that really did me in.... So now that I am on permanent break, I try to eat properly and exercise as often as I can while taking care of my almost 3 year old grand-daughter. Hey, enjoy your vacation!!!! I know I went off on a tangent here...Sorry....lol
  • nafisapreston
    nafisapreston Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a struggle to exercise during the school year, but I made it a priority to go straight to the gym right after work. I met up with a girlfriend, and we talked and helped each other de-stress during critical times. I can vent just as easily while we do the elliptical as if we were just talking on the phone or getting together during happy hour.

I've noticed planning is key for me. If I pack breakfast, lunch and my two snacks in the morning before I leave, I do better. It's important for me to have my after school snack, so I'm not starving after the car ride home and the gym.

If I go home before working out, I know I won't get moving. I end up vegging in front of the TV. Exercise and lots of water is what helps me the most. Unfortunately, I'm being kicked out to the portables, so I don't know how the water will play out because the restroom is not as easily available.
  • hasturm
    hasturm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just finished up my first year of teaching, and I gained 10 pounds :(

Reasons?

1) Eating the school lunch.
    2) Accepting birthday cake. Usually once a week or so...that adds up!
    3) Starbucks about every other day (I would get frappuccinos. Such a bad bad choice!)

Solutions

1) Keep up with myfitnesspal :)
    2) Brown bag it.
    3) Accept the birthday cake...then throw it away or give it away once the birthday kid is gone ;) Unless it's my favorite kind...
    4) Drink low calorie coffee or tea (save $$$ too!)
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm a senior at a small private school near Chicago. I'm majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Special Education. I'm so glad someone started a group like this. I student teach this fall in a first grade classroom. I'm super nervous/excited to teach 1st grade, but I definitely want to keep up with my fitness and health. I worry this will be really hard this semester, but I'm going to try my best to at least maintain my weight! Good luck to everyone!!! =) School starts soon! ;)