It's Not About Cheating By Jillian Michaels

Options
i get a weekly news letter from Losing it with Jillian Michaels and i thought this would be good for some of you, trying to find that perfect balance, i noticed that many talk about cheat days and stuff and the only thing i can really do is shake my head, because i still eat my faveorite foods, maybe not as often but i still get them. i eat chocolate almost daily, if i have a super craving for something i have it, i just make sure to eat a reasonable portion size,just enough to satisfy the crave and make sure i have the calories for it (if not, i exercise super hard to work it in there), and i move on with my life like nothing ever happened . i may not be losing it super fast, but atleast i am learning the perfect balance for me, so that when i am done losing the weight i can continue to eat the way that fits me, just focusing on propper calories and healthy eating to maintain my weight. don't get me wrong i do eat very healthy, but when you get those craveings and you wait to satisfy them you will often over indulge, and start that horrible love/hate cycle all over again. :smile: this is just my opinion :smile:

anywho............... i cut and pasted this from the newsletter for ya'll

It's Not About Cheating
For some people, eating more to make up for a caloric deficit on a particular day feels like cheating. Well, guess what? Cheating doesn't exist. In fact, forget that word! It's filled with negative connotations that imply you're being "bad" in some way. Try to banish that concept from your mind entirely. This is not about cheating; it's about balance. Some days we eat less, and some we eat more. If you happen to eat more than your plan requires on one day, work out harder and eat less the next. In the long run, as long as the more moderate days outweigh the less moderate days, you will achieve weight loss. It's that simple.
However, if you find that you're frequently short on calories at the end of the day, you might try planning your meals more carefully. Take a look at some of the sample menus on the site so you can see how I spread calories throughout the day. If you need to grab some extra calories, go for higher-calorie snacks, like raw or dry-roasted nuts. And keep in mind that there are many higher-calorie foods that are still healthy. For example, hearty whole-grain bread can have up to 120 calories per slice, while other kinds may have only 60. You can even bulk up your portions a bit in each meal might to beef up your calorie count. It's important to get the right amount of calories a day — even if that means eating more than you think you should.

i realy hope this helps some of ya'll. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i get a weekly news letter from Losing it with Jillian Michaels and i thought this would be good for some of you, trying to find that perfect balance, i noticed that many talk about cheat days and stuff and the only thing i can really do is shake my head, because i still eat my faveorite foods, maybe not as often but i still get them. i eat chocolate almost daily, if i have a super craving for something i have it, i just make sure to eat a reasonable portion size,just enough to satisfy the crave and make sure i have the calories for it (if not, i exercise super hard to work it in there), and i move on with my life like nothing ever happened . i may not be losing it super fast, but atleast i am learning the perfect balance for me, so that when i am done losing the weight i can continue to eat the way that fits me, just focusing on propper calories and healthy eating to maintain my weight. don't get me wrong i do eat very healthy, but when you get those craveings and you wait to satisfy them you will often over indulge, and start that horrible love/hate cycle all over again. :smile: this is just my opinion :smile:

anywho............... i cut and pasted this from the newsletter for ya'll

It's Not About Cheating
    For some people, eating more to make up for a caloric deficit on a particular day feels like cheating. Well, guess what? Cheating doesn't exist. In fact, forget that word! It's filled with negative connotations that imply you're being "bad" in some way. Try to banish that concept from your mind entirely. This is not about cheating; it's about balance. Some days we eat less, and some we eat more. If you happen to eat more than your plan requires on one day, work out harder and eat less the next. In the long run, as long as the more moderate days outweigh the less moderate days, you will achieve weight loss. It's that simple.
    However, if you find that you're frequently short on calories at the end of the day, you might try planning your meals more carefully. Take a look at some of the sample menus on the site so you can see how I spread calories throughout the day. If you need to grab some extra calories, go for higher-calorie snacks, like raw or dry-roasted nuts. And keep in mind that there are many higher-calorie foods that are still healthy. For example, hearty whole-grain bread can have up to 120 calories per slice, while other kinds may have only 60. You can even bulk up your portions a bit in each meal might to beef up your calorie count. It's important to get the right amount of calories a day — even if that means eating more than you think you should.

i realy hope this helps some of ya'll. :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Great stuff!

It is truly a new mindset
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    great article thanks for sharing.
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    JUst bumping, i think this is important for people to read . :wink:
  • tag0829
    tag0829 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    passionerica, I could have written what you wrote. I realized that I was not going to "give up" anything forever so I had to learn to eat in moderation. Portion size is so important. I like Jillian, thinking of her has pushed me to run faster!

On chocolate, I keep a bowl of dark chocolate kisses on my kitchen table. I allow myself 6 a day. I can eat one or eat all six but I don't go over 6. A lot of days I don't eat any, most days I have 3 or 4.
    Kelly
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Last night Ezzie and I were talking about this very subject! There is NO such thing as cheating! We're not in school, and this isn't a test. We're in real life, and this is a journey, period. It's all about portion control, period (and exercise!). Ezzie and I eat what we want, altho we do try to make healthy choices (hey... I should start a line of food products with that name! ...oh, wait a sec :wink: ) and als PLAN on what I'm doing thru the day. It's the only way I have found to keep ME honest. everyone has thier own winning way of being successful, but individual styles aside, it all comes down to the not-rocket science of caloric management. You can do it! :flowerforyou: I can do it! WE can do it (especially together!) Hugz and luvya!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin

...... very good points by PassionErica.... I too don't call anything 'cheating'.... to me it's like the word 'diet'...and to me that's a mentality we can all get stuck in all to easily, and really haven't we all been down that path long enough?:noway:

I may have a day when I don't make the best choices for whatever reason but I wouldn't call that cheating, I may be changing my lifestyle and making better food choices...but I don't call that being on a 'diet'.:drinker:

my thoughts on the topic......

Because to me....Each day is a new day-a new beginning and this is a lifestyle we are working toward... making it work for life...not for a wedding, a graduation, or a temporary fix (those aren't bad mini goals...but I often wonder what happens when a person reachs the wedding day....is that the end of their journey on healthy eating because the dress now fits?)

:drinker: Jillian writes some great newsletters...I learn something from each of them.:drinker:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I totally agree with you. A lifestyle change can't include giving up all the food we love or run into on a daily basis.

I also fully believe in following your cravings. If you are craving chocolate (not b/c you looked at it, but because your body is really asking for it) then there is a reason for it. I crave protein a lot and I know there is something missing in my diet when those cravings start.

The other thing is that I do think we need "cheat days". I think they could just as easily be called "high calorie days". I think they help keep our bodies running and help avoid plateaus. They also keep a place in our diet for high calorie foods that would be impossible to fit into a regular day (my fav is pad thai, yum!).
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I agree...because if my body is craving proteins...I don't think of it as a 'cheat day' or 'cheat meal' if I eat a particular protein that day...:huh:

Lately I've been craving red meat....I rarely eat it (no pun intended..lol) so my body is telling me something....to eat it...lol So I did and I felt much better....low on iron I imagine since my energy level is increased dramatically!:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif

Thanks for bumping this FC! Im not sure how I missed it the first time around, but I enjoyed reading it:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif

Thanks for bumping this FC! Im not sure how I missed it the first time around, but I enjoyed reading it:flowerforyou:
    :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    bumpin
  • lpadilla75
    Options
    Great info!

Thanks for sharing.
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    what a great post and article.......i think thats whats been my problem, having a cheat meal and then feeling kinda bad afterwards..... I wouldn't know how many cals i had,had WAY to much as far as portion goes and ate more after my cheat meal(often in those dangerous late hours at night) to try to make myself ' feel better' :cry: and my mood was bad the next day too. It was suppose to be an award....not a 'bad feeling' sentence to myself:ohwell:

I will no longer have cheat meals....but take all things in moderation!

thanks for posting this:drinker: