Any runner's out there?

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good HRM? I run ALOT and love it. I would like to invest in a good HRM. Not too expensive but not cheap either. I want it to do it's job! Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Replies

• agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    I use the Polar F4, and I'm totally happy with it. It's pretty basic, but a good brand name, and gets you the numbers you need- calories, heart rate, low and peak rates during your workout, etc....
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    I had a Polar FT7. It worked great for running and cycling, actually all my workouts but when I brought it swimming it died =(
    I haven't gotten a new one yet. but I would recommend the polar.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Garmin FR60. Check out heartratemonitorsusa.com. Great prices and free shipping.
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    I have a Polar FT7. I use it every time I run - love it!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    I love my Polar FT4 but it's only good for counting calories and such. It doesn't count my mileage. If you want something like that you may want to look into some of the garmin's.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it! I'm a novice runner, but the chest strap is totally comfortable and doesn't cause any discomfort, at all. I've also swam with my HRM a few dozen times and it works perfectly! The manufacturer recommends washing the chest strap every 5 workouts, I don't wash it that often but do make sure it gets washed at least every 2 weeks (I work out 5-6 days a week), if I don't wash it often enough I get really funky readings.

If you are looking for a HRM with GPS, Polar has those, too.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    I had an FT 60 but it was the wrong device for running.

I looked the a Forerunner 305 and the 405 and decided to stay away from the 405 (as have a lot of other folks). I think 305 is superb. If you've got the coin, the 610 might be nice because it functions as a watch, is much more compact than the 305, the touchscreen actually works, and I have to admit that I like the idea of uploading data wirelessly instead of via USB. Those features come at a price, though.

Oh, one thing about Garmins compared to some Polars - you battery in the HRM is user replaceable.

And I always buy from Amazon.

Who me…have an opinion?! ;-)
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    I have a Timex Ironman Triathlon Road Trainer.
    Not because I had big dreams, but because it was on sale for $40.

I'm happy with it except the calorie burn read out is way too high.
    (Maybe that's why it was on sale?)
    There's just no way I'm burning as many calories as it says I am.

I use the database here to calculate calories instead.

But I'm happy with the HRM itself besides that. The strap is comfortable enough that I forget I'm wearing it. It's user-friendly even though it has so many functions.