Need advice on reducing sodium

Options
I'm amazed at how much sodium is in food! It seems I'm constantly going over my limit every day. I've started buying low or no sodium when I can find it, but it's every where! Any advice on how to keep it down?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Avoid processed foods/cereals/snacks/sauces/dressings - cook your own meals so you can control how much sodium is going in there.
    Limit cheese, or look for lower sodium versions. Avoid processed meats (ham, bacon, turkey), cook your own meat.
    If you track all your food you will be able to go to a few days worth of your diary and it will soon be obvious where the sodium is coming from. As an example, if you always have bacon for breakfast you could drop that and your sodium will go down immediately.

Edited to add: I just looked at your diary and you could bring your sodium down for Thursday by buying a different kind of bread and using frozen or fresh veggies instead of canned for dinner.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    it's as if you just read my food diary and then my thoughts! Anyway, I will be watching your responses to your post!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Avoid processed foods, and a lot of low fat foods. To add up for the fat they take out, they add sodium and other chemicals for extra 'flavor'.

veggies; frozen or fresh.. the canned have so much extra salt (plus the others just taste better).
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    start eating almonds or carrots in between meals..home make your own food, that way you can control sodium, read labels..best of luck
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    Like Rubybelle said.
    Avoid processed food - salt is used as a preservative in meat, canned, boxed products.
    Then you'll be back to normal.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, just started tracking sodium. For me it's definately the deli meats and most of the canned soup thats very high.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with RubyBelle. It is the process food that gets you. Stay away from canned anything as that is full of sodium. Prepare everything your self from scratch when ever possible to control the sodium. I for one don't add it when ever I am cooking and a recipe calls for it. Fresh veggies, fruit and meats contain only trace amounts of sodium and are always good when you are watching what you eat anyway so that is the first place to start. If you eat nuts, buy unsalted ones. Its pretty simple to lower your sodium once you start paying attention to the labels when you are out grocery shopping.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You'd save a TON of sodium with fresh or frozen veggies.

As a rule of thumb, when shopping, I avoid any products where the sodium is more than double the calorie count. Ideally, I'd like the sodium to be about the same as the calories, since I eat about 1500-1800 cals a day.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Eat fresh produce when ever possible, consider growing a garden might be to late this year but you could hit the farmers market or farm stands. Google farmers market in your state and you should find a listing of where they are in your area. You could consider canning veggies to control salt too. I also tend to buy frozen veggies instead of canned if I don't get fresh. Push your water on days you have a high intake sodium.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Avoid processed foods/cereals/snacks/sauces/dressings - cook your own meals so you can control how much sodium is going in there.
    Limit cheese, or look for lower sodium versions. Avoid processed meats (ham, bacon, turkey), cook your own meat.
    If you track all your food you will be able to go to a few days worth of your diary and it will soon be obvious where the sodium is coming from. As an example, if you always have bacon for breakfast you could drop that and your sodium will go down immediately.

Edited to add: I just looked at your diary and you could bring your sodium down for Thursday by buying a different kind of bread and using frozen or fresh veggies instead of canned for dinner.

Ditto :)
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Ive been doing 1500 mg of sodium for about 6 months. The idea is that you make every thing homemade or buy fresh. Make your own soup, beans, hummus and salsa. For me the biggest culprit was lunch meat, crackers, soups, precessed salsa, dressings and frozen dinner (Smart Ones). I make one big batch of salsa and beans every week. If I cook meat then I cook dbl so I have some left over. Use Mrs. Dash - Salt Free for seasonings.

Things that i found to have low sodium per serving:
    Fiber One Bars
    Slow cook oats
    Fresh Peanut butter from Whole Foods
    Sugar Free Smuckers- Preserves
    Salt Free Rice Cakes
    Raw nuts
    All fresh veggies and fruits
    Special K - bars and crackers chips
    Quaker Rice - minis
    Trail Mix
    Granola
    La Tortilla Factory - High fiber tortilla
    Bagel thins or sandwich thins
    Greek Yogurt - Plain non fat

Try to limit your self to one bread item a day, one cracker serving, and one fresh/ homemade complex carb. Best of luck.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was just placed on a low sodium (less than 2000 mg/day) diet last week. I have been under five of the 9 days that I have been on it. Yesterday, I had 283 mg and today 760mg. Saturday at the county fair, I had a smoked turkey leg and ended up with 5497 mg. I have noticed that the days I went over were when we went out to dinner. The days I cooked, I was under. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies to fill me up, so I don’t eat food with a lot of sodium in them. Also, I shop at Farmers Markets for fruits and veggies, and Costco for bulk meats. I no longer buy packaged foods at the grocery store. I add no sodium when I cook. If my wife and son want salt, they can add their own. I think my food diary is public if you would like to see how I do it.