Medications and Burning Fat

Options
I was wondering if anyone else might know or maybe have the same problem as me. I currently take beta blockers to control the speed of my heart. I have SVT which is supra-ventricular tachycardia. In plain english my heart was always beating way to fast. So now my problem is I love using my exercise bike. I bike 70-90 minutes a day, 2 times a day. But I can't seem to get my heart rate above 80 now because of the blockers. Im wondering if I am really still burning calories or fat since I can't get my heart to reach my target rate. Anyone else have this problem?? And if so were you still burning fat and dropping weight. I would hate to be knocking myself out on the bike for nothing.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You are still burning fat even if your heart rate doesn't increase while you bike. I have a very slow heart rate and incredibly low blood pressure due to mitral valve prolapse, but I still burn plenty of calories. The target rate is just a very general estimate of your intensity level, but since you're on BB's you have an artificially slowed heart rate. Great job biking!
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, though, that it does still dampen performance. Sonbyrd has a heavily conditioned heart, and so it is more efficient at moving blood (and thus can stay slow). Burn of kcal is directly proportionate to movement of oxygen. A heart that is slow because of beta blockade is not moving as much oxygen, and therefore is not burning as many calories. That is one reason we are super hesitant to put athletes on metoprolol, or other similar agents. You are still working, that is good, but you may simply have to work longer to get the results you are looking for.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, though, that it does still dampen performance. Sonbyrd has a heavily conditioned heart, and so it is more efficient at moving blood (and thus can stay slow). Burn of kcal is directly proportionate to movement of oxygen. A heart that is slow because of beta blockade is not moving as much oxygen, and therefore is not burning as many calories. That is one reason we are super hesitant to put athletes on metoprolol, or other similar agents. You are still working, that is good, but you may simply have to work longer to get the results you are looking for.

this. i was on beta blockers for a bit (not due to my heart) and i had to work longer to get the same kind of burn. i am off them now though.