Breastfeeding?

Options
Hi all! I am nursing my 4 month old exclusively right now. I have heard that I need to add 300 calories to my diet? But I still want to lost weight. Is there anywhere on here that you can modify things for nursing (or pregnancy)?

Thanks!
Tami

Replies

• Tami2w
    Tami2w Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am nursing my 4 month old exclusively right now. I have heard that I need to add 300 calories to my diet? But I still want to lost weight. Is there anywhere on here that you can modify things for nursing (or pregnancy)?

Thanks!
    Tami
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Here is a URL for an article that will help. This is from the LaLecheLegue International web site. I would definitely turn there first for any questions. They have been around for literally generations.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov97p115.html

The book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" is a WONDERFUL resource. Enjoy. I loved breastfeeding and what it did for my figure!!!!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    The way you do it. is set up your calories as if you were not breastfeeding. Then add 300 to that. You will still lose because your body will burn that 300 making milk.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Tami- Check this link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23285-calories-required

This will explain some to you. Exclusively breastfeeding a 4 month old needs WAY more than 300 calories a day. At 18 calories per ounce (average) and roughly 32 oz a day (average) you need more than 500 to compensate. Personally, I produced about 60 oz a day and at 22 calories per ounce on average. (1320 calories) So obviously there is a range and no exact science in the matter. USE THE SCALE. With some variance (2-4 pounds a day), you can use the scale to gauge what you need. If your weight is dropping and your milk supply is fine, you are doing it right. YOUR BODY IS NOT MADE TO LOSE WEIGHT WHILE NURSING. Your hormones will fight the weight loss by increasing your appetite. Feel free to pm me. If I can't answer the question, I can get the answer from someone who has been a nursing consultant for 20 plus years. She's seen all the changes in science, and helped me through several clogged ducts and all the problems that come with 15 months of nursing.

This is my post from before.

"Having been there, I would eat to satisfy hunger. Unfortunately, assigning a number to breastfeeding wouldn't work, because your milk isn't the same as another's. If your milk is higher in fat content (and therefore, calories), and you produce more, then 300 calories for one person wouldn't be enough for you. You can average 18-22 calories per ounce of milk, but it may be impossible to estimate how much the baby drinks. Also, foremilk and hindmilk have significant composition differences.

Example: An average woman with a 4 month old will produce an average of 32-36 ounces at about 18 calories per ounce (576-648 calories per day). I produced about 64 ounces a day at 22 calories per ounce (1408 calories per day).
    Your body is built to make you feel hunger when you need it during nursing.

Get on the scale. Accepting some differences from day to day, make sure it isn't steadily climbing. Also, make sure it isn't dropping too fast, as this will affect your supply. The amount of fat on your thighs and stomach directly affects your supply. STAY HYDRATED. This will assist in production. Check your basal metabolic rate, and eat that many calories as a minimum, in the right areas, in order to provide your baby with the best possible milk.

Congratulations. You have taken on a difficult, but enormously satisfying task. Good luck. And feel free to pm me with any questions. I'll take them to my aunt, who is a GURU of Breastfeeding. She was the reason I made it as long as I did."
  • Tami2w
    Tami2w Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much...I really had no idea about half of that information! You have been a great help!!!

~Tami
  • cind017
    Options
    Thanks firegirl! This was exactly the information I was looking for on here. I am nursing a 6 month old baby girl. I've been trying to stick to 2200 calories per day since I had her with no success. You are right that your appetite increases, which explains why I am having such a hard time with this. LOL! I thought I was being generous with the 2200 calories, but seeing as this site says I should eat 1,630 a day to lose 1 pound per week at my weight/height and adding in some breastfeeding calories, I wasn't too far off. In fact, it sounds like I can manage with a little bit more. Yay!