Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The best way is to select whatever lifestyle applies to you,

Sedentary
    Lightly Active
    Active

on your profile, then count only as exercise when you deliberately go out to do some exercise rather then counting every day tasks as exercise.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    someone told me if you're moving it's exercise... I put in cleaning, food prep, etc but I don't think I burn as many calories as the data base gives for these activities

If you did those things while you were gaining weight...chances are they aren't going to help you lose it.

I ONLY count exercise done with a purpose. I work out in my forge on weekends and some evenings (standing over a 2000* fire, swinging a 3lb hammer at a piece of orange hot steel repeatedly HAS to burn calories...), but since I did that while I was fat...and it didn't do a damn thing to help...I just count it as part of my normal activity.
  • Fattymcarthur
    Fattymcarthur Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just started myfitnesspal yesterday so I am pretty new, seems relatively easy to use but I do have a question. Yesterday I logged my time on the elliptical machine and was given the exercise "credit" but today I logged my strength exercises and the program didn't recognize that I did any exercise today. Does anyone know why this is? Does it only count cardio exercises and not count strength training exercise?
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just started myfitnesspal yesterday so I am pretty new, seems relatively easy to use but I do have a question. Yesterday I logged my time on the elliptical machine and was given the exercise "credit" but today I logged my strength exercises and the program didn't recognize that I did any exercise today. Does anyone know why this is? Does it only count cardio exercises and not count strength training exercise?

You can enter strength training under cardio too to gain exercise calories because obviously you do burn some strength training. I do not log strength training though because I'm not really sure how much I burn. I guess I just keep it in mind and eat back a higher percentage of my exercise cals that day. If I had a HRM it might be different.
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    And I only log as exercise when I do an exercise session intended to contribute to my fitness and weight loss goals or do something above and beyond normal daily activity like a weekend walk with the family. But LOVE the OP!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    You are a silly goose! (silly bear?!) ;)
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • PatientBear
    Options
    You are a silly goose! (silly bear?!) ;)

Mmmmm....goose.....