How much cardio?

Options
I just started weight training 3 days a week. I am 5'4" and weigh 117lbs. I'm not looking to lose anymore weight just get toned and stay at the weight I am now. How much cardio do you recommend I do weekly?

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training 3 days a week. I am 5'4" and weigh 117lbs. I'm not looking to lose anymore weight just get toned and stay at the weight I am now. How much cardio do you recommend I do weekly?

Almost none.

You don't need to lose weight, you are trying to build muscle. That means you need to be eating around or just past maintenance calories, and lifting like a madman (woman).

I'm in the same boat as you, I need to stop losing and start bulking.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    10 min before each lifting session or after. that's what the meat heads at my gym do :P
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    you will be wise to keep some cardio in your fitness plan...it is for the cardiovascular system! Heart health, when you are older, you will appreciate how it sets you up!

So 20-30 minutes 3-5 times a week. Best not to overdo as the others have suggested!

Congrats on your progresss!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    you will be wise to keep some cardio in your fitness plan...it is for the cardiovascular system! Heart health, when you are older, you will appreciate how it sets you up!

So 20-30 minutes 3-5 times a week. Best not to overdo as the others have suggested!

Congrats on your progresss!

Well, it really depends on how hard she lifts. If she lifts with enough intensity, additional cardio really isnt needed, like Barbie said, just 10-15 minutes for a warmup before lifting.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with juliapurpletoes. Although you don't 'need' the cardio for weight loss, it still has so many benefits that I would suggest keeping a couple (2-3) sessions of 20-45 minutes in your schedule. Doesn't have to be intense, choose something you enjoy, go for a run/walk/ bike ride, take a gym class, etc.
    10-15minute warm up before lifting is also good advice.
  • FatGirlSlim89
    Options
    10 min before each lifting session or after. that's what the meat heads at my gym do :P

Meat heads haha! I would agree with this though, put it in as a little warm up & down, but ensure you take it easy and don't exceed your calorie intake. You would also want to think about upping the calorie intake, as building your lean muscle is going to increase your metabolism- good luck!
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for the great advice!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week- it is a stress reliever for me (30-60 minutes depending on the day). I also do weights on those days- but only about 20 minutes.

And- cardio is great for your heart too!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    None, zero, nada!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    20 minutes 3 to 5 days a week. This is the minimum recommendation for heart health. Weight doesn't matter. If your heart is unhealthy, you'll still die of a heart attack. Those "meatheads" as referred to earlier aren't getting enough. My Ex was one of them. His workouts were all weight training with just 10 minutes of cardio to warm up. He died at 35 years old from heart disease. He had bulging biceps and beautiful 6-pack abs and was at his "ideal" weight. Doesn't mean a thing if the heart can't beat properly.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    30 minutes, 3-4x per week. (just my opinion though)