Water intake

Options
Ok I hope this doesn't sound dumb....once in a while I'll have an 32 oz ice coffee. Does the water in my drink count for my water intake for the day? Sometimes I have a hard time drinking 8 glasses a water a day and I thought "Hey, does my coffee count?" :smile: It's just a thought I wanted to throw out there.

102298.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Replies

• Chamorrita
    Options
    Ok I hope this doesn't sound dumb....once in a while I'll have an 32 oz ice coffee. Does the water in my drink count for my water intake for the day? Sometimes I have a hard time drinking 8 glasses a water a day and I thought "Hey, does my coffee count?" :smile: It's just a thought I wanted to throw out there.

102298.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Some say coffee is diuretic and drains your water, so you have to drink 2 extra cups of water for each coffee cup. But lately I hear that's not so.

I just ry to drink 6-8 glasses a day, and have my java in the morning!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee towards my water consumption because of the caffeine content, but that is just my humble opinion. :wink:
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually just count water and flavored water - but if you read many articles it's not always about water - but fluids, so things like soup, juice, water, teas - even fruits and vegetables. Water happens to be a calorie free way to get the fluids you need (and oh by the way, each person is different in how much they need - the 8 of 8 is something of an urban legend that took hold), Below is part of an article on Mayo's website (it's on a couple of others too:

Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to satisfy your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake, while the remaining 80 percent comes from water and beverages of all kinds.
    For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent to 100 percent water by weight. Beverages such as milk and juice also are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is one of your best bets because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I usually just count water and flavored water - but if you read many articles it's not always about water - but fluids, so things like soup, juice, water, teas - even fruits and vegetables. Water happens to be a calorie free way to get the fluids you need (and oh by the way, each person is different in how much they need - the 8 of 8 is something of an urban legend that took hold), Below is part of an article on Mayo's website (it's on a couple of others too:

Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to satisfy your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake, while the remaining 80 percent comes from water and beverages of all kinds.
    For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent to 100 percent water by weight. Beverages such as milk and juice also are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is one of your best bets because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Thank you for posting this. I always wonder about counting other beverages from tea to diet soda. I drink any where from 50 to 100 oz of water a day (water bottle 50 oz) but on other days I drink coffee, tea and diet soda. It helps to know that at least they are providing some of the fluids I need to consume daily and I don't have to feel so guilty when I have them instead of water. :bigsmile: