Lack of Motivation

Options
Hey everyone! My name is Tracy and this is my first day on this website. I have a serious lack of motivation these days. About 5-6 years ago, I was in the BEST shape of my life and had all the motivation in the world. Then, I met my boyfriend and I picked up all his bad eating habits. Now, I am completely unhappy with what I see in the mirror and I don't have the motivation to change my lifestyle. I wish I had some girlfriends nearby to workout with and to motivate me but I don't...We all live far away from each other now. How can I get my motivation back like I had 5-6 years ago??

Replies

• atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Start small. There are several daily challenges posted. Do them. I do and I feel like I conquered the world!!!:flowerforyou:
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. First, you need friends on here because all we do all day is motivate each other. Please add me!

Next, you have to want change, really want it. I would work out, eat right for weeks on end and then slip off wagon. Right now, I want it so bad that I am not letting anything get in the way.

Start slow. Begin working out again and start tracking what you eat in the food diary. Make subtle changes so that you don't drive yourself crazy and drop out. You have to take it one day at a time, and if you slip up one day, pick yourself back up and start over.

If you need specific help or have questions about certain things, just ask. Everyone on here is so helpful and I learn new things every day.

Good luck and stick with it! It isn't an overnight process. It took you 5-6 years to gain weight and realize you aren't happy. It will take some time. Set up mini goals!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This website is a great first step! I don't know if it'll work for you like it worked for me, but check the posts in the "Success stories" section. There are some really motivating stories and pictures in there. The people on this site that have stayed dedicated and that have gotten serious about changing their life are the people that inspire me the most. Add some friends as motivators and get to work! Feel free to add me, I'll motivate you the best I can :)
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is the best place to be for motivation!!! You will meet so many people on here who care about you and want to see you succeed! I receive a lot of encouragement from here and I also love to give it!!! You can friend me for support if you like! Good luck and best wishes! :)
  • strohst
    strohst Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Everyone has lack of motivation sometime or another... you just have to keep your goal in mind ... the first week is the hardest , find little things to do then build from there ... Good luck and welcome !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My name is Tracy and this is my first day on this website. I have a serious lack of motivation these days. About 5-6 years ago, I was in the BEST shape of my life and had all the motivation in the world. Then, I met my boyfriend and I picked up all his bad eating habits. Now, I am completely unhappy with what I see in the mirror and I don't have the motivation to change my lifestyle. I wish I had some girlfriends nearby to workout with and to motivate me but I don't...We all live far away from each other now. How can I get my motivation back like I had 5-6 years ago??
    Write down specifically what you are trying to achieve and be specific. Don't just write down "I want to lose weight", but "I want to lose_____lbs by September of 2011." Then make the specific plan to reach it.
    Just looking at it on paper and making it realistic will show you that it can be done and that's half the battle.
    Most people lack motivation at weight loss because they can't actually "see" that it can be done for them. Key is you have to write it down so your brain and analyze it.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, one step at a time! Don't overwhelm yourself by changing too much too quick. Starting here is a great first step! Set your calorie goal and start learning to stay within that range again. When you start seeing your body change a little bit or start seeing the scale move down a little bit, you will be motivated to keep at it! Feel free to add me as a friend! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • kellyth78
    kellyth78 Posts: 35
    Options
    i am right there with you. i would love to have the body i had 5 years ago too. the weight just crept on a bit at a time and then i did a bit too much comfort eating over the last few months and today is the day i have decided to do something about it. motivation is a big problem for me too. dont put too much pressure on yourself to lose too much too soon. one step at a time. deciding to make a change is the first step and now its a matter of trying to keep focused and this site seems to be full of support. we'll all get there and can support each other in the process, pulling each other back up when we just want to sit about and moan about the weight gain instead of doing something about it. oh and not being too hard on ourselves when we get a bit lazy and eat more than we should! good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • BethMotley
    BethMotley Posts: 20
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP. One of the hardest things I had to do was stop blaming my husband for my eating habits. Yes, it is very easy to be influenced by someone elses bad habits, but ultimately, it is us who puts the food in our mouth. My husband is a snacker...he always has to have something in his mouth. He will buy candy and chips to have at home:sad: But, I have gently...:explode: forbid him to buy stuff for our cabinets at home. Now, he keeps it at work:bigsmile: Begin by setting small goals. It is easier to accomplish a 30 min walk a day rather than a 26 mile marathon. Forget where you have been, and start anew, today:happy: There is lots of motivation and friendship here...you have come to the right place.

610118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kristyklein8
    Options
    You say you don't like what you see in the mirror. I can relate and that is one of the biggest motivators. Only you can change how you look. Sure, clothes can help disguise things you don't like about your body, but if you're like me, buying a larger size does nothing for my self-esteem. Nobody may know what the size on the tag says, but I do, and no matter how fabulous the outfit a larger size can dampen that "new outfit" feel.

I suggest embracing the fact that you don't like how you look and feel and use that to motivate you to workout a few times a week and tweek your eating habits. My boyfriend eats a lot of junk too, but since I have started to focus on my health and weight we have both been trying to eliminate the junk food in the house. Instead of eating everything he does, eat smaller portions or chose to have a salad once a day. Drink lots of water. Small changes can make a big difference, and as soon as you see that difference you will be motivated to stick with it. Keep adding tweeks to your diet...add more vegetables, more lean protein, grill instead of fry, make a meal together at home instead of eating out, grab your favorite fruit or yogurt instead of cakes and ice cream, grab a bagel instead of a donut....etc.

You have been healthy and fit before and you probably recall how good that felt. Grab onto that feeling as you can feel like that again! You say you wish you had girlfriends to workout with...perhaps you and your boyfriend can join up together to get fit and happy...make it a date by going bicycling, jogging, hiking, whatever gets you moving. If you are like me and don't like to workout with your boyfriend, going to the local gym or joining local fitness groups would help you meet more people that could be potential fitness partners and friends. It's a win win.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • tracy80s2003
    tracy80s2003 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for nice messages, everyone! I really appreciate them. :)