Oatmeal

Options
When you make Oatmeal, what do you use to flavor it with? And do you make it every in the slow cooker? I'm looking for some yummy ways to make something interesting that I'm not all that crazy about..

Replies

• Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    I use cinammon (sp???) and the splenda brown sugar mix (10 cal for 1 tsp).....very good!
  • oceanviewdream
    oceanviewdream Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i add lots of blueberrys to it .... blueberries are good for you and they taste great.....
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I always need more suggestions for this....
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    I cook old fashioned oats in water and then stir in some Greek yogurt. I also add some fruit...yummy. If I don't use the yogurt, I add just a little brown sugar and fruit. I used to add a little chocolate Slim Fast...my family thinks it is gross, but it worked.
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon here too. Tasty and it's good for you.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I always add a teaspoon of chunky peanut butter, raisins or crasins and some real brown sugar. I've also added granola, greek yogurt and thinking about chocolate protein powder.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar, alone or in some combination. A sprinkle of chopped walnuts would add some texture, too.

I've also chopped up an apple wedge into tiny pieces, and put it and cinnamon in after it's cooked. The heat of the oatmeal softens the apples a little without turning them to mush.

Sometimes I add a small dollop of peanut butter to Cream of Wheat, but it could go in oatmeal, too.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Pecans or walnuts and brown sugar on steel cut oats.

I regularly use the slow cooker - two hours on high (I use a timer) for two servings.
  • Kia148
    Kia148 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I add frozen mixed berries.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Texture is a deal breaker for me. You might experiment with different varieties, for different textures.

Instant (quick oats) are a big turn off for me - it's like eating baby food. Old Fashioned (or rolled oats .... are still instant). These are less like baby food. Not my favorite, but I can stand to eat them. Steel cut oats - yum! The texture is wonderful.

Toppings:
    Peanut butter & maple syrup
    Peanut butter & banana
    Dried cherries & cinnamon
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I usually mix in peanut butter with mine but I also sometimes add in chocolate protein powder to make it taste like a peanut butter cup :)

Cinnamon is always a go-to mix in as well.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Oatmeal with a little cinnamon, little honey, yogurt, and fruit.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal + cinnamon + raisins + honey = a bowl of cookie for breakfast! I am a fan.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats on hot summer mornings are AMAZING. You prep them the night before, then eat them cold the next morning right outta the fridge.

Here's an easy recipe: http://ferventfoodie.com/2010/08/24/overnight-oats-for-dummies-2/

I usually use raw whole milk or organic 1% milk, and a banana mashed up to sweeten instead of brown sugar. I also add a tablespoon of cocoa powder (LOVE chocolate) and one tablespoon ground flax seed to thicken (you'll need this for pudding-like oats).

:heart:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    one cup oats, 2 cups water, 1/4 cup sugar free pancake/waffle syrup, 1 tsp cinnamon
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats a lot becasue I actually like them cold too.
    This is what I do in the crockpot --- mostly I just wing it and throw in whatever combo I have..

1 cup Quinoa, Uncooked
    1 cup Irish Oatmeal or Steel Cut Oats
    1 cup Quinoa Cereal
    6 oz Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt
    2 cups Almond Breeze (vanilla or plain)
    1 scoop Protein - Cinnamon Bun or any chocolate/vanilla

Directions
    Add everything in the crockpot and cook on low for a couple hours or until the texture you like. I add cinnamon protein powder for an extra protein boost. I often mix up the various oats with flax, barley, other cereals and top with walnuts and brown sugar, blueberries, raspberries etc..
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    *****Bump***** = )
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I cook old fashioned oats in water and then stir in some Greek yogurt. I also add some fruit...yummy. If I don't use the yogurt, I add just a little brown sugar and fruit. I used to add a little chocolate Slim Fast...my family thinks it is gross, but it worked.

Mom, it was kind of icky, but I can't judge.

I can't eat most oatmeal bc of a gluten allergy and cross contamination with oats and wheat is ridiculous, I suggest on days when you're bored with oatmeal try hot rice cereal! super tasty, I add greek yogurt and fruit!

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/hotricecereal.htm - I don't use marg/butter/salt, I add vanilla/almond extract and I sub almond milk because of a dairy allergy, it is still delicious.
  • pelhamd
    pelhamd Posts: 1
    Options
    ok, I LOVE chocolate oatmeal cookies, so I make the closest thing to it for breakfast:

I cook 1/2 cup oatmeal with some cinnamon, then I mix in a packet of stevia, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a heaping tablespoon of unsweetened baking cocoa. I then add soy milk or skim milk to taste. I like my oatmeal pretty thick, so you add as much milk/water as you want. I swear it's frickin' tasty! It only has about 270-300 calories. I add half a banana sometimes too, but all that is up to you! Try it!
  • NukeMomma
    NukeMomma Posts: 2
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning. After cooking it I add a tablespoon of cinnamon, an Activia fruit yogurt and mix it up. The benefits of Oatmeal every day is amazing. I am super morbidly obese, over 50 years old and my BP remains constant at 116/64 and my cholesterol level is around 140 and my blood sugar levels are normal. I attribute these healthy stats to the oatmeal and yogurt along with totally omitting refined sugars and other processed foods. Have fun trying different things to add to your oats! :)