Homemade or store bought?

Options
Marsha_S
Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
:smile: I'd love to know how many of us like cooking...can you cook or do you run away from the stove :bigsmile: ?

When preparing meals, do you putter around the kitchen making your own meals, or do you prefer to whip out the pre-packaged/store bought meals? I personally love:love: cooking so most days I cook. Maybe once a fortnight will be takeaway, and I usually cook enough for seconds the next day.

If you buy food, what are your favourite brands? M&S, Sainsbury etc???

Replies

• Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    My fiance does most the cooking...i'm ok when it involved putting frozen stuff in the oven (eg home made spag bol etc) but as for just putting something together from the cupboard i'm useless!

We usually shop in Sainsburys/Aldi and Tesco as they're the cheapest and we're skint!
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I LOVE cooking, it's just difficult to find the time. I think that I really love eating and think about food a lot, which helps in coming up with new recipes.
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24
    Options
    I love too cook, in fact my major was culinary arts ( a fact that got me here lol). I'm having a blast figuring out new low calorie recipes and love the recipes on eatingwell.com. Do you have any place you get your recipes? I'm always looking for new things.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love to cook..... want to learn more about cream and wine base sauces...
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Home made definitely! So many of my recipes are yummy (not bragging, I just try to collect yummy easy ones!), I can't imagine buying store bought (soups for example... YUCK!).
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do cook but I don't like to cook. If I could hire a full time chef I would. I don't find joy in it. It doesn't relax me or anything. But I do cook its better for my family than eating out. I don't really like frozen dinners. So cooking for me is the best option.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I contribute a good part of my weight loss to cutting out not all, but a lot, of processed prepared foods. If I can figure out a way to make something myself and control the ingredients, I do. My favorite is to catch cans of tomatoes on buy one get one free at the grocery store and stock up. Always have some on hand for homemade pasta sauce!
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Homemade! 90 % of what we eat I make at home. Baking included!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 4 and have always cooked for them. At first it was to stretch pennies (single income) but then I learned that I was giving out of love.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Love to eat and i love to cook. I will eat out and then buy all the ingredients and recreate my lower fat lower calories version at home that tastes great. I am not one to follow a recipe or write one down. so i usually dont make the same meal twice. Starting this weight loss journey has been fun for me in the kitchen.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I cook! I eat clean and that entails lots of fresh foods and healthy options. No prepackaged stuff unless I am sick and can barely move. I had a migrane a few days ago....I did resort to a Kashi frozen meal and my daughter ate chicken nuggets and fries that night.
    We get take out once or twice a month...usually Thai or Japanese...very rarely is it pizza. We try to keep healthy snacks in the house...my down fall though are chips/crisps and gummy snacks....both of which I buy in individual servings so it's a one time snack and I'd have to go back to the store to buy more if I wanted it. It keeps my portions in control and because I hate having to deal with traffic...I don't usually make that second trip, lol.
    I also love to bake....I've cut back on it since I've started cutting out carbs. I do eat healthy carbs 3-4 times a day...but I do love muffins and pastry. Lol.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I love cooking. When I lived in the UK, I shopped at Sainsbury's or Waitrose.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I love to cook most of the time we eat at home. I also enjoy going out to eat when we can (which isn't much anymore). I'd rather cook it at home knowing its saving us $$ and I can prepare the food the way I want it!
  • rainydayducki
    Options
    I eat close to 80% homemade- I learned to cook as a kid but I do it mainly because of food intolerances otherwise I'd eat out more....
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I never really made time to cook or do anything more than basics until my grandmother passed. I always used to spend time with her in the kitchen and now it makes me feel closer to her when I am cooking. I think she would be happy.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I love cooking despite my poxy 6ftx5ft kitchen...I don't think I have EVER bough a ready meal...i've tasted one tho :sick: :noway: Lean cuisine...I'd get lean on that alright! The only short cuts I take really are buying fresh frozen vegetables...(frozen within 12 hours of being picked) Oh and instant mash...peeling potatoes REALLY irritates my hands to the point of them cracking weeping and bleeding for weeks after a single exposure
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love to cook but cooking has made my fiance and I both gain weight. He is out of town so when I am alone I do not usually cook much for myself but, I am looking into healthier options for us both when he comes back :)
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love to cook.

Mum always cooked, old boyfriend was a chef.

If i buy something prepacked i think im cheating. also is more expensive, you dont know whats in it and it doesnt taste half as nice.

sometimes ill buy sauces like sweet n sour or burrito boxes.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love love love to cook! But moving from the central valley in CA to New Mexico I've the produce is lacking...and no Sourdough bread. thats good for the diet...bad for the tastebuds. Miss the local farmers markets
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love to cook. I create my own recipes usually from what I find in the fridge or pantry depending on what I craving.
    We also do lots of funtions with our friends so I am always making snacks, hor duerves and meals. They call me the "Cooking
    Queen" now it has changed to the "Lean Mean Cooking Queen"
    I buy fresh veggies, and meats, make my own pasta and very rarely use processed foods.