Restaurants should post calories

Options
1235»

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

As for mom and pop restaurants... The owners can calculate calories by adding up the ingredients. That's not expensive. I don't expect it, but more places should do it :\

Paying for new signs, new menus, and the like CAN be more expense than some small restaurants may be able to take on. It isn't the calculation itself, but the making of those calculations available.
    Also, keep in mind that menus change from day to day, and even during a shift. Practical? No. Burdensome? Yes. Last thing we need to do is make life more difficult for the small businessperson. Let them choose whether they post.
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree! It would be sooo nice to have the nutrition info on the menu!!!! it would make my life easier (not having to pre-check or something because i am still one of those poor losers who doesn't have internet on her phone)! its an awesome idea... i hope we see it in the near future!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options

As for mom and pop restaurants... The owners can calculate calories by adding up the ingredients. That's not expensive. I don't expect it, but more places should do it :\

Paying for new signs, new menus, and the like CAN be more expense than some small restaurants may be able to take on. It isn't the calculation itself, but the making of those calculations available.
    Also, keep in mind that menus change from day to day, and even during a shift. Practical? No. Burdensome? Yes. Last thing we need to do is make life more difficult for the small businessperson. Let them choose whether they post.

Agreed! When I eat out, since it's always at mom and pop places I just look for something similar in the database here. I know it's not exact and may not even be close. But when I go out I make the choice to not really know how many calories I'm eating. I don't think that they need to post their nutrition. If they want to that's great, if not, it's my problem, not theirs.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    No I don't think it's necessary. Nice? Yes. But I agree with those who say it shouldn't be government mandated.

Besides, I verrrrry rarely eat out. But when I do, I can roughly estimate in my head what the calorie content may be. I could be off a few hundred cals though. Doesn't matter since the amount I eat is probably a fourth or half of what's there. Obviously if I ate out several times a week, I'd want nutritional info, but going over in cals/sodium/carbs/whatever once every month or two won't make me gain weight.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The only way this should be done is if enough people ask for it and the Restaurant decides it’s in their best interest to do it, period. Do you really, no really think people think a big bowl of pasta is healthier than a salad, or grilled fish? Come on? NOBODY goes into McDonalds or Uncle Luegies Pasta joint thinking they are going to be eating healthy. If they do they’re idiots. Why is it the Restaurant’s responsibility to educate you about food nutrition? Why isn’t it your responsibility to educate yourself about nutrition? PEOPLE NEED TO START TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES!!!!!! There I’m off my soap box, contrary opinions need not apply. :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    starting in 2014 all resturants will have to have nutrition info readily available either on the menu or in the restuarant in form of a pamplet but that is still 3 years away any fast food place i have been in will give you a pamplet with all the info if you ask except subway wonder what they are hiding? logans ( for those of you who have them ) wont even provide the info on line i emailed em and was told it was not available

All restaurants where? In you town/city/state/country??
    It sounds as though this is becoming a more common practice in the US but I really doubt that my local pub in Western Australia is planning to do this any time soon :smile:
    While I agree that it is useful info to have, I think it is more important that we become educated consumers and get smart at decoding restaurant menus. I know this isn't easy but it's a valuable skill to learn.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The only way this should be done is if enough people ask for it and the Restaurant decides it’s in their best interest to do it, period. Do you really, no really think people think a big bowl of pasta is healthier than a salad, or grilled fish? Come on? NOBODY goes into McDonalds or Uncle Luegies Pasta joint thinking they are going to be eating healthy. If they do they’re idiots. Why is it the Restaurant’s responsibility to educate you about food nutrition? Why isn’t it your responsibility to educate yourself about nutrition? PEOPLE NEED TO START TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES!!!!!! There I’m off my soap box, contrary opinions need not apply. :smile:

I partly agree... BUT I still think it would be nice. Especially for the items that have sauce & you don't know what's in it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

I partly agree... BUT I still think it would be nice. Especially for the items that have sauce & you don't know what's in it.

The free market is an amazing thing, if you got enough people to ask the restaurant to do this they would, because, believe it or not, they do want to make you happy, it’s how they make money. But on the other hand, if you and the four others here that want it are the only ones, then guess what you are in the minority, and you will have to eat somewhere that caters to your wants, or educate yourself enough that you can make informed decisions on your own. I do agree it would be nice, especially for people that eat out a lot.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options

*Like*