It feels like its gonna take forever to lose this weight

Options
How long did it take you to lose your weight and how much did you workout- I have 42lbs more to go I work out M-F.

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose your weight and how much did you workout- I have 42lbs more to go I work out M-F.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Well, When I started Atkins in May 2007, I was 238, By December I was 200. I felt great. Now, I have gained almost all of it back, but if my memory serves me, It doesn't take that long really if you are really serious, but it depends on you, your body type nad your activity.

I have just gotten lazy!!
  • eLLe2008
    eLLe2008 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising since April and have lost almost 45 pounds. :) I tried exercising Mon-Sun every week...started out at 15 min on the elliptical and now it's an hour. Now that I'm getting down to where I want to be I am letting Sundays be my "relaxation" days, but still doing the hour every day that I work out.
    Also, I've cut out soda, chips, chocolate, ice cream, etc since the beginning...not as easy as it sounds. And if you slip up, don't let yourself believe it's all over! Tomorrow is a new day :) and I've had to tell myself that on several occasions. Good luck!

DanieLLe
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    i started august 20th and im down 40pounds now.
    i worked out 5 or 6days a week. i run though nothing else.
    and if i "cheat" its a cheat MEAL not a cheat day...
    after that cheat meal you get right back on it!
    thats what i do!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I already lost 30lbs and decided to try and lose some more- Dont know how I would look being 42lbs lighter so far my friends and family say thats too much for me to lose -- I just gotta workout out Monday-Friday and stay within my calories I dont deprive myself of anything if I want it I have it but its all about if its worth that splurge-
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I already lost 30lbs and decided to try and lose some more- Dont know how I would look being 42lbs lighter so far my friends and family say thats too much for me to lose -- I just gotta workout out Monday-Friday and stay within my calories I dont deprive myself of anything if I want it I have it but its all about if its worth that splurge-
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey, trust me, I know how daunting it can seem!! I am down 120 in a little over a year. (I started in early September of 2007).

It won't take forever. It just feels that way. Think of how fast time flies, especially with the holidays coming up. Before we know it, it's going to be 2009. Just keep your eye on where you can be by then. Or you can just NOT lose weight and stay the same. To me it's a no brainer. I just made the decision that I can lose weight slow and healthy or stay the same. The time is going to go by anyway, you know what I mean? Might as well lose weight with the weeks. They will add up much faster than you think.

Good luck!!
    -Tami :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have been on mfp since the middle of July and I have lost 46 pounds. I typically lose at least 2 pounds a week, but this is healthy for me because I have so much to lose. I started out by exercising a lot (I went from completely sedentary to walking 6 times a week for 50 minutes each time) but now I really don't put as much emphasis on working out because I know that the calorie deficit alone will take the weight off.

I don't work out for weight loss...I work out for cardiovascular health and toning...so my advice to you would be to make sure that you have set your expectations and your weight loss goals at a reasonable level (i.e. the pounds you want to lose per week) and eat all of those calories that mfp gives you.

Trust me I know how daunting it is to lose weight...imagine the fear I felt when I crunched the numbers and realized that I needed to lose an entire person...an entire OBESE person...but when I realize that it took me 24 years to put all this weight on and if I stay on track and steadily lose 2 pounds per week it will only take me about 2 years to take it off...I consider this a fair trade...

Someone told me the other day something that I've really taken to heart...she told me "progress not perfection"...yes it will take you some time to get the weight off...you can do it faster if you do it in an unhealthy way and damage your body in the process...or you can take the time your body needs, do the work that is required, learn healthy lifelong skills, and take it off in a way that will allow you to keep it off...I certainly know it's not easy, especially since your husband is military and that means a stressful life that can turn chaotic in a moment's notice...but you CAN do this...
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is all we ask *giggle* OK, so that really was the Blue Diamond Nuts people, but think about it, if you do lose a pound a week, and want to lose 40 pounds, that's about a whole year! I also try to get in 5 workouts a week, plus as many walks with my wonderful wiff. But you know, and I know that exercise is only 1/2 of the whole equation. So just keep logging each and evry calorie you eat, as well those exercise calories... and stay the course beautiful! hugz! :flowerforyou:
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Oh my God!! I feel like such a loser!! I've been working on this since Dec. 2007...this Dec. will be a year and I've only lost like 26lbs! I work out at least 4 days a week for an hour and a half each time. What the hell am I doing wrong? Man...I was pretty happy about that, but I just don't know how other people get it off so fast! I'd be totally ecstatic if that would happen to me. Any secrets?
  • sherryboeding
    sherryboeding Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Laura,
    You have done awesome. I have a lot to lose but have lost 13 # so far so I am on the right track.
    Sherry
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    A lil over a year.... lost alot of it before joining the gym last year. I changed my eating completely and went to 5-6 mini meals.

Seems to be working for me:happy: I workout 5-6 days a week a couple hours each day...also do strength training 2-3 times a week, kick in some Yoga, Zumba, Qi Gong when I'm out there and there's a class starting.:flowerforyou:

It's changed my life and built back up my self esteem...:smooched: love all my gym buddies.:smooched:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my weight since March 20th, and am down 50lbs. For a few months I worked out a lot, then it tapered off :indifferent: I don't excercise nearly as much as I should, and I plan to get back into it ASAP. Keep in mind, excercise will not cause you to lose weight, your deficit will. BUT excercise does build muscle... which increases your metabolism, which means you'll naturally burn more. Good luck, hang in there you have done great! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I started losing weight back in 2006 just cutting my calories and since then the end of 2007 I slowly started working out to increase my weight loss which was great because I went from a 16-18 to a size 10/12 and lost 30lbs now I want to lose more weight (never satisfied) So I am trying to lose 42 more pounds I took a break from calorie counting and exercise and started eating like a man (with my husband whose metabolism is ridiculously fast and packed on 9lbs) thats when I knew I had to get back in my routine it hasnt been easy I have been trying for a month to get back in the routine but last week I finally mastered it and completed 5 days of workouts and was able to stay within my calories for the week except for saturday and sunday when I went over 100 calories (but I also didnt workout those days they were my rest days) Monday came and I was back on my workout routine- So even though MFP says I have been on here since May 07- My newest journey of weight loss started Monday the 20th 2008- (because back in May I was finishing up a previous goal) This attempt is for a new and bigger goal--

Thanks for all the advice it would be great if I dropped this weight before a year was up- My body is very stubborn once I hit a certain weight and I litterally have to fight the pounds off I have a very muscular build and once I hit that weight but body will drop inches rather than pounds Its very frustrating
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started March 3, 2008 and simply cannot believe that I've lost this much so quickly. I have tried to keep Tam's view...... the days will pass anyway, might as well work at losing no matter how long it takes.

My loss averages 5 lbs weekly for the first 6 months but has slowed lately. I've begun eating a little more though I continue to increase my exercise regimen. I try to get 6 days weekly with each workout consisting of 1 hour on the elliptical plus weight training.

Cheers and best of luck.
    Tim
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I guess I need to do better about the calories. I think I do pretty good, but yeah I still have some emotional ties to food. Not as much by far, but I'm not quite at the "eat to live" mentality. SOMEDAY...I hope I will be.

Good luck to all! I know I wouldn't have ever lost even the 26lbs. without all the people on here!