Zoloft

Options
Just wondering if anyone has been on zoloft and had an issue with weight gain as a result. Last night I was laying in bed...depressed thinking about this weight struggle and I had this thought that perhaps my medicine is a piece of the puzzle...I've been on Wellbutrin in the past and loved it, but since I'm nursing my son I can only take Zoloft. I just feel like I'm trying to watch what I eat, exercise...and nurse, but still seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Anyone?

Replies

• amhadlock
    amhadlock Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there,
    I also am on zoloft and i wish i could blame my weight gain on it! Im not sure, now that i think about it i put on 10 pounds after i began taking zoloft. I take a very low dose, maybe you could talk to your doctor about other brands like zoloft that wouldnt cause weight gain!
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    I'm on lexapro and nursing twins. Good for you nursing your baby and be patient about the weight gain. I gained about 10 pounds also when I first started taking the lexapro over about 6 month period but I have been able with weight watchers (I log on my fitness pal to support friends) to get that back off and keep it off!
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    also sometimes the depression is why we gain weight and not neccesarily the medicine...
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I've had depression my whole life and i've never been on any meds for it. Instead i've taken natural supplements like 5-htp SAM-e and st. john's wort. Actually Niacin works the same way as prozac (in higher doses)!
  • chrissiegaddis
    Options
    talked to my MD today...she said that the medicine is probably a big part of the puzzle but that until I wean there is nothing I can do. He (my son) will be 1yr next month...I guess I'll just wait it out...
  • amyliu7
    amyliu7 Posts: 17
    Options
    i wason zoloft a few years ago and gained about 10 lbs but once i got off of it, i lost the weight. have you tried other meds?
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Last year, a few weeks after my daughter was born, my 4 month old cousin died in a really tragic accident. I became VERY VERY depressed and anxious. My doctor prescribed me zoloft. Not only did I gain a lot of weight, I experienced really strange and frightening side effects from it... I started hearing voices at night. My doctor (and I had no idea) didn't realize it was the zoloft that was causing it. She said it was my depression turning into postpartum psychosis. After months (!!!) I finally stopped taking it and *poof* no more voices. Let me tell you, I was PISSED that my doctor never made an association between the medication and the VERY SCARY side effects. I'm sure this a really rare side effect, but if you start taking Zoloft, be on the look out for it. Also, I gained 20 lbs.
  • gratenni1
    gratenni1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes i am having the same problem. I have been on pacil for three years and i have gained 20 pounds due to my attitude change. I was very strict on myself before that. I became very relaxed . I had to exercise like crazy to keep it down . I was told by a friend that i should go on the ultrsimple diet by Mark Hyman. He deals with people li8ke us and food allergies. I just started the diet and i think that i am going to lose it this time. Good luck