The eternal "waistline" question

Options
I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the thread for it. I just recorded my measurements on MFP for the first time today and I know it doesn't really matter, the point of your measurements is to see if you're losing inches, but which part of your 'waist' are you measuring? There's your 'natural waistline' which I understand to be the smallest part of your midsection and then there's the ' waistline' where your jeans actually sit. For some people, I understand this might be the same thing, but I guess I have short torso or my natural waistline just rises very high, so that if I were to actually be wearing my pants up there, it would feel as though I was wearing what I call "Urkel pants" that sit almost below my bust line. Don't get me wrong, to each his own, but I prefer not to wear my pants all the way up there. So getting back on track, currently, I'm recording both natural and jeans waistline, but I wanted to get some peoples' opinions on this of where they measure this and what's usually the accepted practice.

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My "waist" is one inch above my belly button - the small part of my tummy.

I'm going to suggest that go with whatever part of your tummy you'd like; just make sure you're consistent with your measuring spots.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I measure both, but I record the natural waistline, not the jeans waistline. Makes me feel skinnier :wink:
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I measure both, the thinnest part of my wait and then the largest part of it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I measure the thinnest part. My pants all hit different spots so that wouldn't work. And yeah, there's no way I'd wear pants way up at the thinnest though. However, high waited (at the natural waist) pencil skirts are sexy! I had one when I was heavier. I'm sad it doesn't fit any more.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this! I have a long torso and I've often wondered the same thing. Each different pair of pants I own has a different "waist." I've heard to measure at a point one inch above my bellybutton, but I have a hard time telling whether I'm getting the tape at the same level across the back each time. Also, that's right at my "dunlap." That's the squishy part of my belly that done lap over the edge of my pants. Makes it hard to measure. So I'd like to see everyone else's suggestions here! Thx for posting!
  • mustnothrowcantelopes
    mustnothrowcantelopes Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @ Rachel - You can always get it tailored or sell it on ebay or just send it my way!
  • AnathemaRose
    Options
    When I used to get measured (WAY before MFP came into my life), the nutritionist/dietician always asked me where I place my pants for my waist measurements. So I just always assumed that is the one I want to take. However, to be safe, you could always watch both?
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I measure both, but I record the natural waistline, not the jeans waistline. Makes me feel skinnier :wink:

Me too, I recoed my waist as the narrowest part of my torso, and then I set up a "belly" measurement, which is (for me) the largest part of my torso, the two measurements are very different, and the belly one will be the last for me to go, but I measure both in the same place and am seeing inches come off (yay!)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The "generally accepted practice" is the "natural waistline", which is the smallest part, generally an inch or two above your belly button.

However, in terms of tracking your progress, you can measure anywhere you like as long as you are consistent. It's also fine to measure in more than one place. The key is being able to measure in exactly the same spot every time and keeping the tape parallel to the floor all the way around. Some folks look for a 'landmark' to accomplish this-a freckle, a scar, etc. and always measure there so they are sure they are always measuring the same spot.