Diabetes

Options
Anyone interested in a diabetes group? I was just diagnosed and could really use the support. Post here if interested!

Replies

• nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    I'm diabetic too (type 2) and would love to chat with others who are as well!
  • ocrunner11
    ocrunner11 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sure! I have been a diabetic since 2003. It runs in my family and we lost our parents at a early age because of complication. My motivation is to live a longer life for myself and my family. I am thankful I have the full support of my family and doctor. Let me know if you have any questions. Take care and take control of the your health, it is possible. Ciao
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sure! type 2 diagnosed 3/29/11.
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    Also check out this thread.. have met and made some awesome friends who are also diabetic...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/184272-type-ii-diabetics-let-s-support-each-other
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have hyperinsulinemia, which is slightly different than diabetes. A diabetic doesn't produce enough insulin; my body produces plenty of insulin, but doesn't know how to use it properly. So either way, you end up with a lot of the same problems & symptoms.

Since my diagnosis, a series of simple dietary rules have not only brought the hyperinsulinemia under control, it has also cured my mood swings & depression and enabled me to lose 30 lbs in 4 months. My doctor is a colleague of Dr. Mary Vernon who has some helpful videos. Here are the links:

Dr. Mary Vernon, president of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has had a lot of success with helping people manage their Type 2 Diabetes with diet alone. No insulin shots or other medications necessary. Here's a link to a very interesting explanation of why/how it works:
    http://www.diabetesnewsstand.com/vissue/vernon/titlepage.html

Or if you're up for a longer lecture series, 5 15-minute segments, try this youtube video from when she lectured at the University of Kansas.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3M75cYpx2w&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Best of luck to you!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    PRE-diabetic and desperately working to bring down that number before my next recheck, so I'm here to listen and educate myself. Type II plagues my extended family, and I do not want to entertain that disease.

Hope I can follow along and gain wisdom from your group...thx
  • RapierM
    Options
    I was diagnosed pre-diabetic about 2 years ago, and I wish I knew then what I know now that I am Type II diabetic. No one told me about the impact of carbohydrates, so although I exercised and was careful with my diet, I was still eating a fairly high carb, low fat diet -- whole grains (whole grain bread, pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, etc.). I even eliminated fried foods, and rarely ate dessert but became diabetic.

I am now easily controlling blood sugar with a low carbohydrate diet. Meat, cheese, butter, certain vegetables and fruits, eggs. are okay. Very limited or no beans, bread, milk, pasta, rice, etc. (high carb foods).

Suggest you read Blood Sugar 101 (book and website) and Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. The first is easier to undertand.

As pre-diabetic you still have a very good chance of not becoming diabetic, reversing damage to beta cells in your pancreas and decreasing insulin resistance.
  • peteloafer
    peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi guys

I hvae just been diagnosed prediabetic with a further check in 3 months around March 2012.

I was already here on MFP to try and lose weight so now I have another good reason.

Keep in touch and add me as a friend please - might be good if we stick together

regards

Pete