Tired of tasteless chicken!

Options
ChristyP0303
ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
Help! I need new ways to season my meat! Mrs. Dash just isn't cutting it for me. Also, chicken is always dry too. Any tips on low sodium seasonings? Thanks!

Replies

• laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    lemon juice! I cook chicken in a pan on the stove, cut it into strips and throw some lemon pepper seasoning on there if you want....when you flip the strips, squeeze the juice of a lemon into the pan and over the chicken. so easy, SO flavorful, and keeps the chicken juicy (lime juice is great too!)
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Garlic is good! Accent if flavorul and only has 85mg of sodium!
  • no_where1976
    no_where1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well I don't cook but my husband does! What he does to make chicken tender and low fat is he lets it marinate in the fat free italian dressing for awhile (if he remembers overnight is the best) it makes it tender and very yummy. I hope that helps :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Paprika, lemon pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, marinate in white wine, etc.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    Well I don't cook but my husband does! What he does to make chicken tender and low fat is he lets it marinate in the fat free italian dressing for awhile (if he remembers overnight is the best) it makes it tender and very yummy. I hope that helps :)

this too, especially if you pierce the chicken first!
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    My fav is a healthy form of chicken marinana... I take chicken breast, put garlic salt, pepper on it. Then spray some oil in a pan to keep the chicken from sticking. Bake in the oven until it's almost done/brown on the outside. Then, the best part, put marinara sauce in the pan with it and top with mozarella cheese. Bake until completely done and brown. Wa-la... marinara chicken, no pasta required.
  • Victoriaaah
    Options
    I love www.allrecipes.com . One of my favorite recipes is Busy Day Chicken. It's so delicious. The recipe index is massive, and I'm sure you can find something to suit your taste. :) Here's to no more BLAND chicken! :)
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    go to kraft foods.com. there is a place you can put in the type of meat you are cooking and it will tell you what you can do with chicken.
  • fionamacf
    fionamacf Posts: 39
    Options
    Marinade in garlic, lime juice and chilli. Delicious and low calorie.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    McCormick Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme. It's supposed to be a seasoning for pasta salads, but it works well for meats. 1/4tsp has 60mg of sodium and a lot of flavor.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to take chicken breasts, cook them in the slow cooker with salsa, black beans, and corn. When the chicken is done, shred it, mix it back in the pot and use it in tortillas or on top of salad greens or over rice. Presto, instant, healthy Mexican dish that is full of flavor!
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    You can always cook it in chicken broth, fresh herbs and some chopped garlic on the stove to keep it moist. If you just want to throw it in the oven definitely use some lemon for the acidity and pound the chicken out. That tenderizes your chicken and keeps it from drying out. You can also keep it covered while cooking.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    are you pan cooking or bbqing your chicken? if youre BBQing its really hard to get super moist chicken, but when pan cooking at a little water to the bottom of the pan and put a lid on it, the helps the chicken cook quicker, more evenly, and jucier. You can also do this wil low sodium broth which gives it extra flavor! I agree with all the seasoning tips youve been given. And get liberal if you have to!
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    Make a marinade with low sodium soy sauce. I take about 1/4 cup soy sauce, add a couple of chopped up garlic cloves, a little fresh ginger and add enough water to make about a cup of marinade. Brushing a little (emphasize little) olive oil on your chicken before you cook it also helps it retain moisture and adds to the flavor. The marinade works for grilling, baking or pan searing your chicken.

I also like to use a Rocky Mountain Apricot Sauce as a marinade on just about anything. You don't need to use a lot to get good flavor.
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    try fresh herbs or other seasoning with low or no salt and for the chicken being dry maybe ur cooking it too long if you have a food thermometer use it to check the temperature of the chicken when the chicken is at 165 - 170 its done and it will still be moist. hope that help.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love lemon and/or lime juice, cilantro and garlic as a marinade. A *tiny* pinch of salt & pepper, too. I don't like to cook, so this is really adventurous for me. :D
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    If its dry, you are cooking it too long. take it off sooner.

as for seasoning I like good ol bbq sauce, you can find low cal low sodium options. I also like lime juice and a little vinegar.

Another way to ensure that it isn't dry is to boil it... I will boil my chicken first and then throw it in a pan to brown the outsides really quick.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It seems the lower the sodium content is in the chicken the less flavor it has and the dryer it gets. Lots of great ideas here that I haven't thought of. Thanks! I'll give them a shot.
  • annesnyder
    annesnyder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Put salsa on your chicken...very good and low cal
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm of no help. When I want flavorful chicken, I smother it in Buffalo Wild Wings mild sauce.