Healthy breakfast sausage?

Options
2»

Replies

• AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'll have to pick up the morning star kind....though I'm a little iffy on anything that is "veggie" after I tried veggie dogs. They were not very good. So hopefully these are better.

I feel you on that one....but Morning Star is amazing. I love their stuff. It really does taste very much like the "real" stuff. I haven't tried their sausages yet...but this post has convinced me to look into it...and I didn't even know they sell it at Costco. Hopefully they sell it at the hawaii costco as well.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Use Ground Turkey and add some seasonings too it. like sage and fennel seed, garlic and onion powder.. I have even see sausage spice you can buy in the grocery store.. much better for you. You could also use ground chicken too
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    jennie-o turkey sausage 2 links are 90 calories
    I like turkey sausage and the fat is lower but the sodium is sky high:cry: so I am eating them far less than I used too.

I agree with Canadian bacon, good stuff, makes excellent breakfast sandwiches but again... crazy sodium! :sad:

I keep my sodium count down to 1500 or below so each processed food makes all the difference when I add them up, they add up QUICK!:frown:
  • Becca_007
    Options
    Skip it entirely and serve canadian bacon instead. All sausages have fat fillers -- it's part of what makes them sausage.

I don't think the OP was looking for a suggestion that tastes nothing like sausage. She's clearly aware that sausage is not the best for her daughter, which is why she asked the question in the first place.
    sheesh, relax, it's sausage we're talking about...not World Peace! :tongue: She merely offered a suggestion that's working for her, why bash it?

Your day can only get better right?:wink:
  • Becca_007
    Options
    1 pound lean ground turkey
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    Directions
    1.Crumble turkey into a large bowl. Add the salt, sage, pepper and ginger. Shape into eight 2-in. patties. In a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook patties over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
    Use Ground Turkey and add some seasonings too it. like sage and fennel seed, garlic and onion powder.. I have even see sausage spice you can buy in the grocery store.. much better for you. You could also use ground chicken too
    Both these ideas sound great and WAY cheaper than buying them premade & full of sodium. I might skip the salt in the recipe but that's just me, I'm used to foods without it.

Thanks Ladies for the ideas:flowerforyou:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i am an avid meat eater and i absolutely love the Morning Star sausages. they don't even taste like veggie sausage to me!
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    I get Jones dairy farm Light 10 sausage. It's made with rice, 50% less fat 40% less calories and all natural. yay
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Skip it entirely and serve canadian bacon instead. All sausages have fat fillers -- it's part of what makes them sausage.

Do you know that in Canada, we don't really call it Canadian bacon? It's back bacon, or sometimes peameal bacon (though they are a little different). Sounds funny when I travel to the States and I see it on a menu.