Changing up my routine...

Options
Ok so I live on the 2nd floor in an apartment and I am VERY conscience of the amount of noise I make because my downstairs neighbor is really cool and I dont want to be the rude loud upstairs neighbor.

Any suggestions on exercises? I have been doing belly dancing, some light stepping tae-bo and I've done yoga a couple times (LOVE On demand fitness from Time Warner Cable)

It's getting to cold to go walking and it's getting to the point where it is already dark by the time I leave work so outdoor activities are not really the best option for me right now.

I found an elliptical machine on cragislist for $125 OBO...which I am meeting the lady tomorrow to look at hopefully make an offer and bring that baby home. I am excited about that...but I just really would like to try to find some new options.

Oh and I am currently in search of a freestanding punching bag, oh my what a stress reliever that would be!

Any suggestions peeps??!!

*Note.... I would love to join a gym but I'm really the odd night owl type of person who wants to get up at 3am work out and then take a nap before I get ready for work (and I have no problem exercising before bed or even getting up early and exercising it's pretty much how I gear my mind, whether I am going to perk up or crash) but all the gyms in this TEENY TINY town I live in close at like 8 or I think one closes at 9...and they don't open early either...so it's really cutting my options for gym equipment.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Replies

• Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ok so I live on the 2nd floor in an apartment and I am VERY conscience of the amount of noise I make because my downstairs neighbor is really cool and I dont want to be the rude loud upstairs neighbor.

Any suggestions on exercises? I have been doing belly dancing, some light stepping tae-bo and I've done yoga a couple times (LOVE On demand fitness from Time Warner Cable)

It's getting to cold to go walking and it's getting to the point where it is already dark by the time I leave work so outdoor activities are not really the best option for me right now.

I found an elliptical machine on cragislist for $125 OBO...which I am meeting the lady tomorrow to look at hopefully make an offer and bring that baby home. I am excited about that...but I just really would like to try to find some new options.

Oh and I am currently in search of a freestanding punching bag, oh my what a stress reliever that would be!

Any suggestions peeps??!!

*Note.... I would love to join a gym but I'm really the odd night owl type of person who wants to get up at 3am work out and then take a nap before I get ready for work (and I have no problem exercising before bed or even getting up early and exercising it's pretty much how I gear my mind, whether I am going to perk up or crash) but all the gyms in this TEENY TINY town I live in close at like 8 or I think one closes at 9...and they don't open early either...so it's really cutting my options for gym equipment.

Thanks for your help in advance!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    What about checking with your really cool neighbor, and letting them know that you've got plans on working out in your apartment this winter, and asking if there's good or bad times for them. I realize that 3 am is probably in their bad time, but they may not have a problem with your before bed workout, or the early am workout. For all we know, they may be up early too, for whatever reason. I used to live in an apartment, and the lady who lived downstairs was the newscaster for the early news. I could do whatever I wanted anytime after 4 am, but had to be quiet after 8 pm.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Is there any kind of common area in the basement (like for laundry) where you could put equipment that makes noise and still not be the noisy neighbor? Our old place in Chicago had a basement area and could've fit a treadmill, although the four flights of stairs up were enough exercise for me....hmmm...what about dvds the stress that type of exercise where you keep your muscles tight...almost like yoga but not really...i can't remember the type but its like motionless exercise...I just googled it...it's called isometrics :)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Try doing 10 minute solutions pilates or yoga. I also have gotten into Leslie Sansone Walk off the pounds (workout DVDs). You can get them from netflix. These are exercises I can even do at like 11pm on the 2nd floor and not wake my neighbors. Good luck!
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Pilates is pretty quiet! It doesn't burn calories like crazy, but it helps tone the muscles. I do it once a week and my thigh inches are sinking like crazy! That might be a good one.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    HOPEFULLY, that elliptical will be within your reach, because they really aren't loud, and what a GREAT investment for you! Ellipticals RULE!! . I would imagine if you speak with your neighbor and let them know what you're up to and when to expect it, they won't have issues. I agree with Bunny, find out what time they're wakeful and try to work within that timeframe.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ALl great ideas thanks!!

As for myneighbor I have asked her before and she says she rarely hears me to begin with which made me happy (considering I can hear my neighbor behind me and her every freaking move but she's seriously bi-polar and hates me so I avoid her ALWAYS)

The cool neighbor downstairs is a teacher at the high school (so is the pyscho lol) and has an eight year old son so I know they pretty much have a routine. I have a 2 bedroom apt (don't ask me why) with a living room and a dining room I am thinking if when they go to bed about 9ish or so I can work out in the dining room and just reposition my tv so I can see it. I plan on putting my elliptical in the dining area...haha it will guard my kitchen for me. Actually my problem was never being an over eater it was more of starving myself and and then being an un healthy eater oh and being lazy lol.
    Since its the further area from their bedrooms we can be a-ok.

Thanks peeps! I do appreciate it. I am soooooooo excited I hope the elliptical is in as good of condition as she says and I get to bring it home!!
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Skip rope! You burn over 100 calories for 10 minutes of jumping. Put some music and on and get jumping! When you get really good you can start doing some hop routines! I jumped all through a year in Thailand and loved it (and lost a heap of weight!). Also the television is good to jump with, esp music videos. If you give it a try dont get discouraged if you feel like a clumsy elephant to begin with, I did and it passes! And dont try to jump wiht both feet just one at a time, i begin by bouncing twice on each foot. LEt me know if you want more advice on skipping :happy: