I do not care

Something interesting has happened to me this time around. I have become less ashamed of my body, how about you? It is the middle of summer and this time last year I would wear jeans every day, not go swimming , wear a cardigan over my tank tops and never show any skin...in the middle of JULY! Now, I have not lost 20 pounds or even 10 but, I am no longer that girl wearing a parka on the beach. I have grown to accept my body while it is going through this transformation. If I look fat in that shirt well , it is because I AM fat. You can't really hide it no matter what you put on. If I want to wear the cloths I love I am going to have to loose the weight. For now, I am gonna get a tan. I am not going to cover up or shy away. I am putting my bathing suit on and enjoying my summer. Fat or no fat I am not going to let my insecurities put a limit on what I can do.

I know I can accept myself during this change but what about other people? Well I figure screw 'em! This is a decision that takes time and a commitment.It is not gonna happen overnight but, all that matters is that its happening. If someone has a problem with my jiggly arms and big belly then look away. I am not sweating bullets over you. I am out to have good summer, and learn NOW to be comfortable in my own skin and not when that skin is a little tighter. If I don't now...I never will :)

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    You're learning to accept yourself, and that's AWESOME! Great NSV! :smile:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Not 100% yet, but my moobs and belly are slowly shrinking so I'm happy about that.
  • Good for you!
    I think sometimes half the battle is learning to have fun in the moment, appreciate today for what it is, and not always be looking ahead to "when I lose the weight I will do...." Thanks for the post!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Its funny, I noticed this change in myself as well. I did lose 30 lbs last year, but still not at my goal weight. I still have 15-20 lbs to go, but I find myself less ashamed of the way that I look. I never used to wear shorts, but I definitely wear them now. I know that i am working toward a goal, and I am going to be comfortable while doing it. :)
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    I agree.... Although, I hope I don't get too careless. we're going to Jamaica in 13 weeks, and I'm 207lbs... I don't think I should be strutting around in a bikini, although I'd like to (if i wasn't so chubby)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    I'm right there with ya sista! My body hasn't changed much, but my attitude has. It's funny how much better you can feel about yourself just because you are trying!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    I agree.... Although, I hope I don't get too careless. we're going to Jamaica in 13 weeks, and I'm 207lbs... I don't think I should be strutting around in a bikini, although I'd like to (if i wasn't so chubby)

Screw it, no one is going to know you there! ;) Strut all you want!
  • 4himalone
    4himalone Posts: 69
    Ya know, I have gotten to this point also this yr and I am 52 freakin yrs old!!! WTF??? Why did it take me sooo long???
    I should not care about what others think about my arms, legs, boobs or ANY other body part.

I believe I am a good person. I help others along this journey called life. I am a wife of 29 yrs (so I must be doing something right!), I have two wonderful adult children

AND.....

...this is the BIG one>>>>>

ITS IS NOT GOING TO MATTER WHEN I AM 6FT UNDER OR THROWN TO THE WIND!!!!!

So, I say enjoy this life because you only get one shot at it. Seize the day, seize the moment to love some, hug someone and just plain matter that you were on this earth at all...and I do not think it matters what we look like.....:heart:
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    I don't care either... if people don't like don't look, it's that simple. I'm the way I am and that's what makes me who I am and honestly I'm pretty happy with WHO I am!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Good for you! You deserve to enjoy yourself and get a tan! I am so happy for you :bigsmile:
  • 4himalone

THAT IS SOOO TRUE!! LOL!!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    I feel the SAME way - I've had people stare at me too and say terrible things through my transformation. My first night running, I had two different sets of teenage boys say things to me. One on the beginning of my run and the second on my way home. The first one moo'd at me, and the other ones called me a sl*t. lol. I went home and cried to my husband and he just told me to ignore it, I woke up the next day forgot about it...and went on about my day. Just keep going, and be proud of what you have in the meantime. :)
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,319 Member
    good for you! Especailly good for you for reaching that point earlier in the process! I am almost to my goal weight and still need to force myself not to fold my arms over my belly when I'm sitting and not to wear shorts over my swim suit. Thanks for the inspiration! You rock and strut your stuff honey!
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    These are wonderfully inspiring words you've posted! I too went through a weird shame ridden time. What's weird is that when I was at my skinniest I felt HUGE. I know it was because I was what I now call "skinny - fat" and it was more flabby. I became so discouraged and I think I did a self sabotoge... eating everythign in sight. after gaining about 20.. okay maybe 30 lbs in 1 year, I came to decide that it was time to stop being mean and beating myself up all the time. Once I came to the realization that I need to be nice TO MYSELF, who would've thought?, I was able to truly focus on my journey. I'm still on my journey but instead of caring so much about the buldge to be mean, I take photos in my bikini and use them as motivation to see my progress.

Thanks for the topic today, it's exciting to see others have similar thoughts.
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    I call it "fat-girl-syndrome". It's when we get skinny but are so used to being fat and ashamed that we still see/feel that. Take photos and keep them in your phone, purse or computer and use them to remind yourself that you're gorgeous. :-)

Watch my progress on bodybuilding.com username pauterson if you'd like.
  • 4himalone
    I feel the SAME way - I've had people stare at me too and say terrible things through my transformation. My first night running, I had two different sets of teenage boys say things to me. One on the beginning of my run and the second on my way home. The first one moo'd at me, and the other ones called me a sl*t. lol. I went home and cried to my husband and he just told me to ignore it, I woke up the next day forgot about it...and went on about my day. Just keep going, and be proud of what you have in the meantime. :)

You are way too nice. I am 'old school' from Brooklyn, NY and I would have stopped and confronted each of them....yes, I might get knifed one day BUT..who are they? They are just bullies that are allowed to behave that way. Someone needs to step up and tell them that these behaviors are NOT acceptable.

You are beautiful and your hubby is right. Forget them! Good for you!!!
  • Amen! Enjoy your summer! And it is going to happen for you!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member

You are way too nice. I am 'old school' from Brooklyn, NY and I would have stopped and confronted each of them....yes, I might get knifed one day BUT..who are they? They are just bullies that are allowed to behave that way. Someone needs to step up and tell them that these behaviors are NOT acceptable.

You are beautiful and your hubby is right. Forget them! Good for you!!!

Thank you! I would have done so too BUT they were in a car. I think I may have seen the first ones again around my neighborhood but I'm totally unsure. We live in a rather middle to upper (mostly upper) class township and the kids are downright spoiled brats here. It's a privledge to live here, but if my kids EVER act like that they know they're in a world of trouble.

Thank you again - I just hope by what I'm telling the OP those negative things someone can say to you and fuel you to go even further!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member

What bothers me is that I wouldn't have cared, and You got over it and moved on. Some people let the possibility of this maybe happening to them if they got out of the house, stop them from getting healthy even though they want to. It makes me sad :( YOu are fantastic for moving on and pushing forward girl!!! Keep it up :)
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member

THAT IS SOOO TRUE!! LOL!!

I did buy one a few weeks ago & took a pictures. I plan to lose more weight in the next 13 weeks. So before the trip I'll put it on again and take another pictures to compare. I should be around 180-185 I'm hoping. lol