before workout snack

Options
Hey all,
I workout first thing in the morning, before i am fully awake even and have to eat something right when i get up about 30 minutes prior to my workout. Anyone know of a good food to eat at that time? bonus points if the food doesn't need refrigeration or cooking!
thanks! Colleen

Replies

• chelseawilliamson
    Options
    i would like to know too.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    banana with peanut butter
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Protein shake mixed with water....
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    banana,the sugar gives you an awesome energy boost and the protein and potassium don't hurt either.
  • ansy96
    ansy96 Posts: 55
    Options
    some protein shake. I eat forever lite chocolate chiffon, but I'm impatient for the release of the forever lite ultra :)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Use this after the workout instead not before.

Before use carbs rich foods, try to have the "snack" at least an hour before your workout and a slice of bread or a banana are indeed great foods in my opinion.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options

Use this after the workout instead not before.

Before use carbs rich foods, try to have the "snack" at least an hour before your workout and a slice of bread or a banana are indeed great foods in my opinion.

Almost entirely true. Lol not tryin to argue just trying to educate. Protein includes mixed bcaa's which protect muscle and are used for energy during workout. Carbs will give good energy as well. But there are no bcaa's. If your going to workout with nothing your stomach supp with bcaa. Calorie free way to workout fasted. If you want to eat something. Any slow digesting carb, I.e. Apple oatmeal and small amount of protein for bcaa. The y do make shakes that contain both carb and protein. Personally can't workout without food in belly. So I have a nice breakfast about an hour before.
  • alleyag
    Options

Hey just wanted to give you a bit of insight. Although the banana is a great carb pre workout I don't however agree on the pb. Although it is a good source of protein and fat. The fat digests to slow and will slow digestion of other nutrients. Beingyou just woke up and want the energy faster a slow digesting carb (digests faster than fat) and small amount of protein. (preferably whey which digests at a rate of about 10 g an hour) would be a slightly better choice. Pb and banana won't do harm but there are better options.
  • alleyag
    Options
    Lol meant to quote the pb and banana guy. Either way I agree with the protein shake guy overall. Would be more beneficial to include a carb on top of that.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    a bananna with a piece of whole wheat bread and honey and peanut butter on it....... or a protein shake... and a glass of water