Tell me what to do

Options
If eatting back calories is supposed to be the thing to do, can somebody look at my diary and let me know what I am doing wrong, I do know I go over by a bit here and there alot. I think I am doing what I should do when I want to maintain I have been this wieght for almost 3 weeks and being as I just started this again 3 weeks ago I doubt I could be at a stand still. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating calories burned?
    If you are not using a HRM I would only eat 50-75% of the calories back and MFP and the machines tend to over estimate caloric burn.
    If you are using a HRM, are you backing out maintenance cals for that period of time you workout? If not you would be double counting 1.25-1.5 cals/minute of working out.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    When I get stuck, I try cutting back on carbs and sugars. Not cut them out completely, just eat fewer carbs.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating calories burned?
    If you are not using a HRM I would only eat 50-75% of the calories back and MFP and the machines tend to over estimate caloric burn.
    If you are using a HRM, are you backing out maintenance cals for that period of time you workout? If not you would be double counting 1.25-1.5 cals/minute of working out.

Also, going "over by a bit every here or there" is a stretch. I looked over a week's worth of diary and you went over more than you were under. You're also eating a lot of processed foods, there is something to be said for the source of your food. Not only that, but the processed foods are making your sodium intake completely out of whack. Like PP said try aiming to eat back half your exercise calories unless you have a hrm then aim for 50 to 75 below (as long as it doesn't fall under 1200), watch your sodium, up your water, and try to eat more natural (less processed foods, stick to grilled or roasted lean meats, fresh or steamed veggies, fresh fruit). When you start seeing results then you can loosen up the rules a bit, but tighten it up a bit until you find the right balance.
  • nicolekz
    nicolekz Posts: 10
    Options
    I would recommend changing your ratios to 40/40/20 if possible (protein/carb/fat). You are consuming almost all your food as carbs, which will hinder your weight loss. Personally, I do a lot of weight training and eat 50/30/20 (p/c/f) and have gotten excellent results, but you don't need to have that ratio unless you do a lot of heavy weight training. I would also encourage you to consume fewer processed foods and more whole foods. Eat your carbs as green, leafy veggies and whole, slow-digesting carbs such as oatmeal (no sugar), sweet potatoes, beans, ezekiel bread, rice, etc. You may want to go to your settings and add the column for sugar so you can track that. Try to keep your consumption of sugar as low as possible (especially avoid foods with added sugar, but don't be as concerned about sugars from berries or, say, nonfat yogurt with no sugar added, whch has some natural sugar). Also, do not go over your calorie goals, or if you get to the end of the day and are starving but close to your goal, eat mostly protein (egg white, low-fat meat, sugar-free greek yogurt, etc.).

The dietary changes are more important than the exercise, but I would strongly encourage you to do weight training with free weights and do high intensity interval training for your cardio. These will increase your metabolism and you'll be burning more calories all day, not just in the gym.
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    Yeah I have just been letting MFP tell me how much I've burned since my elliptical is obviously lying to me. Over 400 calories for 30 mins I know is not true.

Thank you for the feed back, I will be going shopping for some healthier options and lower my intake.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    my elliptical is obviously lying to me.

I don't know why, but this totally made me LOL!

(Oh, and I suggest getting a hrm with a chest strap. You can usually find a Polar for a good price.)
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    It looks like you're going over quite often. If not in everything then in at least 3 areas. At least for the last few weeks. Also, you should increase the amount of water you're drinking. Even if it seems like you're only going a little over, it all counts and adds up fast.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Oops, just saw you already replied to same advice. Good luck!