Heartburn or Gull Bladder Stones?

Options
A few days ago I woke up in the middle of the night having intense heartburn.. felt identical to it; have had it before, on the left side of my chest under my boob. I tried to take Tums and it didn't work after 30 minutes I took Rantidine, 40 minutes later I took some Tyenol.. and it didn't work. It started at 2 am. I somehow managed to sleep.

I woke up at 10 am, feeling ok but within a few minutes of standing up it was back. The pain my stomach making me want to throw up was gone but the burn was still there, not as bad but still there.

I get a Prilosec OTC around noon or so that day, but the guy at the counter suggested I try a liquid Heartburn Equate since it could take a day for the Prilosec to take effect. I did this, 30 minutes later to an hour I was fine.

I have been taking the Prilosec every day now and no problem. I just went to the doctor and she told me to only take it when needed... she didn't seem overly concerned.

But my husband said a gay at his work had a friend with similiar symptons with heartburn and pain and it turned out to be gull bladder stones! I asked my doctor about this and she said cuz I'm loosing weight it might be, but since I wasn't showing alot of symptoms she didn't want to do the test which was a X-Ray and just let her know if anything happens.

Now I'm worried though! I know nothing about Gull Bladder Stones! I told her I didn't have stomach pains alot and I don't think I do, but my husband says I complain more than I realize? I don't know if that's true or he's counting my muscle pains that I do get when exercising.

Either way now I'm scared... Anyone have experience with this...?

And back to what I ate the day it happened, it was a cheat day. I ate Taco's with 80 percent hamburger, my mom made them so they were greecy, but I finished eating at 2 pm and the pain didn't start until 2 am. I didn't eat anything else that day, but I did drink a Coke Zero at 9-10 pm before bed, which I don't normally do but it was soooo hot and I had forgot to fill up the water bottles.

So does it sound like normal heartburn to you guys or could it be more? The doc didn't seem to concerned like I said, but I can't afford a professional second opinion, my insurance won't cover it.. so thought I'd get your opinions!

Thanks!

Replies

• hillendahl
    hillendahl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Definately could be gall stones. Gall Stones will cause heart burn symptoms. I had to have my gall bladder removed a few years ago. I was having on a little heart burn, but lots of unexplained vomiting.

Come to find out the gall stones were causing erosion of my esphagus...which I will always have...and which put me at risk for esphagial cancer...

It could also be the H pylori bacteria...which they also discovered I had at the same time they discovered the gall stones...the two were unrelated...but both detected in all the tests they had to run.

Since you can't afford testing...I'd suggest trying to cut all fat from your diet for a few days...to see if the symptoms let up. For the few days from when they discovered what was wrong...to when I had my surgery...my doctor had me on a 0 fat diet.

Fat causes your gall bladder to work and produce bile which breaks down the fat...if you have gall stones, the more your gall bladder has to work the more pain you could be in.
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It could be gall stones. I had them after my pregnancy/c-section. A lot of women get them during pregnancy. Anyways...The key to avoid the attacks it to eat very low fat bland foods. No spicy and no greasy! Pizza rolls triggered my first attack. The attacks got worse. I had my gallbladder out and it was a super easy surgery. In/out in 4 hrs and I was back on my treadmill in 3 days. Hang in there..keep us posted!!!
  • shellythehippie
    shellythehippie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder disease would cause pain on your right side.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    Pain from Gallstones is on the right side under the boob.
  • Terriberry
    Terriberry Posts: 100
    Options
    It could be gall stones. I just had my gall bladder out a couple months ago. But my pain wasn't so much burning as it was a severe pain right in the middle of my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack. I ended up in the ER 3 times before my doctor diagnosed gallstones. The surgery was simple, but my recovery was about 2 weeks before I could exercise again. I would definitely try to get an xray to rule out your gall bladder. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You probably need to go to the emergency room. It's most likely gall stones because you've made changes to your diet, and this is what happens when you're overweight or you make drastic changes to your diet. Whenever you eat anything, it probably feels like death is knocking on your door. You should ask your mother, grandmother, and some of the other women of your family if they've had the same problem. Stones can be hereditary too.
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It def could be gall stones. I had them when I was pregnant and thought it was pregnancy related and after my daughter was born it went away for 2 weeks. Then I had attacks nearly everyday for 2 weeks straight. I remember the day I went to the ER for it a cup of coffee set one off. I had my gall bladder taken out 10 yrs ago and never had problems with "heartburn" again except my other 2 pregnancies. I hope you figure it out and get it taken care of. Good luck!
  • sophiessweets
    Options
    It might be an issue with your spleen? Gallbladder's on the right, spleen is on the left
  • katrina1122
    Options
    Your gall bladder is on your right side, you mentioned this was on your left side.
    I had my gall bladder removed, it's a stabbing pain concentrated to that area. It sounds like yours is more into your stomach. You ate alot of foods you've been cutting out that day, sounds more like maybe you aggravated an ulcer or had bad heartburn. I'd talk to your dr again if the pain continues.

If it's your gallbladder it will always feel pretty much the same. Just to the right of your lungs on the right side. The surgery hurts like you've been hit in the stomach for a few days afterward, but isn't too bad. Had it done in 2004 on a Wed and was back at work Mon with no problems. Don't worry about it, that can cause an ulcer. Which I've also had, i'm on nexium daily for it.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for that info about it being on the right side! Wish someone would have told me that earlier before I started worrying! It was def. on the left said I was freaked out cuz it was near my heart.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    You probably need to go to the emergency room. It's most likely gall stones because you've made changes to your diet, and this is what happens when you're overweight or you make drastic changes to your diet. Whenever you eat anything, it probably feels like death is knocking on your door. You should ask your mother, grandmother, and some of the other women of your family if they've had the same problem. Stones can be hereditary too.

No I only felt it that once.. I'm fine when eating. Except while the symptons were going on but that was more nausiation than feeling like I was dying.

And no one in my family has had them that we can date back.. but one side doesn't go very far.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Gall Bladder problems are usually under your right rib cage.

Your symptoms of what you have been eating and the pain that follows sounds like gall bladder issues.

I had my gall bladder removed last November. When losing weight gall bladder issues can happen easily.

Try avoiding greasy or spicy foods, and soda. If it persists contact your DR. and make them listen to you!

Best Wishes~Rhonda
  • silhouettes
    Options
    It might be an issue with your spleen? Gallbladder's on the right, spleen is on the left

What could be wrong with my spleen? I feel dumb :/ lol
  • jul21r
    jul21r Posts: 34
    Options
    It's really hard to tell you if you have heartburn or gall stones. I just had my gall bladder removed 3 weeks ago today. I didn't have heartburn at all. I had intense pain on my right side under my boob and upper abdomen. I know after eating really well and low fat for weeks and then cheat I would wake up with pain, heartburn, and/or upset stomach so you probably need to monitor yourself and track your food and your pain. The surgeon who took out my gall bladder had me do this after an ultrasound confirmed my gall stones because he wanted to make sure it was the gall stones that were causing my pain. If the pain persist you will then have some data to take to you doctor so they will order an ultrasound. Just a warning everyone's surgery is different! I had it done laparosopic but my gall bladder was already infected which meant they had to tug and clean out the area, so they had to keep me in the hospital overnight and I've had lots of pain and am still sore. I was running 4 miles before the surgery and training for a 1/2 marathon in September and my surgeon said I can't run for a few months because they have to cut through your abdominal wall. If you work out intensively too soon you could cause an abdominal hernia. So all I am doing for a while is walking. Everyone is different and ever situation is different so take people's comment about it being a simple surgery with a grain of salt.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed. Months before then, I only had intense pain on my right side. Everyone is different.

Probably better to go to a doctor and have it checked out rather than asking people on a forum. I don't know what to tell you other than that.
  • silhouettes
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed. Months before then, I only had intense pain on my right side. Everyone is different.

Probably better to go to a doctor and have it checked out rather than asking people on a forum. I don't know what to tell you other than that.

Did you not read my post? I DID ask my doctor... and I wrote her response. My insurance doesn't cover any other doctor... She just said keep her informed.

There is nothing else I can do except wait and see what happens right now... so I just asked her to get opinions on if she was right or not.

I don't want to be a hypocondriate (and I know I can't spell) and spend our bill money on running to another doctor to find out I'm fine but oh we won't have electricity or water this month.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

No I only felt it that once.. I'm fine when eating. Except while the symptons were going on but that was more nausiation than feeling like I was dying.

And no one in my family has had them that we can date back.. but one side doesn't go very far.
    [/quote]

Honestly if you only felt it once, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it is your gall bladder it will bug you again, and again and again. I could be something very simple, like all you had to eat that day was greasy tacos and pop. Thats not good for anyones stomach.
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for that info about it being on the right side! Wish someone would have told me that earlier before I started worrying! It was def. on the left said I was freaked out cuz it was near my heart.

I had a similiar problem a few months ago. Frequent chest pains that had me really nervous. I started taking tums and that subsided the pain a bit. I finally broke down and went to the doctor. She did a chest x-ray and put me on a heart monitor for 24 hours. Both came back fine. She diagnosed me with having anxiety though. She put me on buspar twice a day, an anti-anxiety medicine, and told me to take the tums as needed since they have seemed to help. The anxiety medicine has really helped. I use to get this heartburn everyday, multiple times a day since then it rears it's ugly head once and awhile. Guess the moral of my rambling is maybe if there's been a stressful change in your life could possibly be affecting you. :)
  • silhouettes
    Options

I had a similiar problem a few months ago. Frequent chest pains that had me really nervous. I started taking tums and that subsided the pain a bit. I finally broke down and went to the doctor. She did a chest x-ray and put me on a heart monitor for 24 hours. Both came back fine. She diagnosed me with having anxiety though. She put me on buspar twice a day, an anti-anxiety medicine, and told me to take the tums as needed since they have seemed to help. The anxiety medicine has really helped. I use to get this heartburn everyday, multiple times a day since then it rears it's ugly head once and awhile. Guess the moral of my rambling is maybe if there's been a stressful change in your life could possibly be affecting you. :)

Well my husband did get a new job.. I haven't seen it as "stressful" but then again.. I haven't thought to much of it.. maybe it is a bit stressful and I don't even realize it.. it has messed up my eating a bit as we eat later than we have been... that doesn't have anything to do with that day but it does put a bit of a strain figuring out what to eat, when to eat since he never gets off at the same time... hmmm.