Five questions regarding strength training!

Options
helenium
helenium Posts: 546 Member
Just this morning my weight dropped below 150 lbs for the first time, and for the last 10 lbs I've been saying "Oh, I'll start strength training properly under 150 lbs...". Oh crap! If I don't start now, both Past Me and Future Me will be angry with me. :(

To be honest, the material on strength training on the internet isn't as good as the info for running (which I've been doing for the past 4 months). So far I've mostly limited myself to cardio - I'm running a half-marathon in September and am training up for that.

I think I need a few pointers getting started. I have weights 3 kg / 5.5 kg / 8 kg and I think I could buy more of the barbells if I needed to go above that. I have a few specific questions. Oh, and I don't have any gym membership, but that never stopped some people.

1. I want to ensure that I actually get stronger. I am not in danger of bulking up as I'm female, but I don't want to look toned but lack actual strength. I gather I should do higher intensity with lower reps. Unfortunately I don't think I have got a weight that I'd physically max out at right now on 1 rep, so I don't know how to judge the weight I should use. It's probably 8 kg.

2. I am not sure how to target my legs. I don't feel the burn when I do squats, which makes me think I'm not doing them properly. Lunges don't feel difficult either, so I'm probably messing those up too. Are squats actually difficult (and I can't do them) or are they just ineffective?

3. How often should I strength train? I would like to see some visible change in muscle definition by the end of September/beginning of October. Is this unreasonable, and if not, how much training would make a difference in 2.5 months?

4. My left arm is *significantly* stronger than my right arm. I'm right-handed too. Should I be worrying about this and giving specific attention to my right arm, or just go with the flow even though my right arm fails before my left?

5. I'm not sure how I should actually feel after a strength workout. I don't think I'm working hard enough when I attempt them - I never feel sore the next day. Then again I hear that the 'sore muscles' syndrome goes within a couple of weeks when one attempts strength training. How can I gauge whether I've actually made progress?

Thanks for your help in advance. If you have any thoughts on any of these 5 questions that would be really helpful. Hopefully I can start doing something I should have been doing months ago!

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I got Strength Training for Dummies and there's some good starter info in there! I got it really cheap on ebay/
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you want to get stronger, you need to lift heavy. Start with a weight that's heavy enough that you can't do more than about 10 reps. Once that becomes easy, go higher by a few lbs. You could probably start comfortably with an 8 lb dumbbell depending on the actual exercise.

You could be doing the exercises wrong, so I'd suggest trying a machine that works the same muscles you're trying to do with squats & lunges (leg press, hamstring curl, hamstring extension) ... or try a Jillian Michaels DVD. Even after I thought I was in decent shape, I struggle with her DVDs but I love them. Last Summer I did No More Trouble Zones and last week I started 30 Day Shred. It's great and better than NMTZ 'cause I can do it everyday! I'm in rehabilitation from a neck injury that affected my shoulders so I don't have a lot of strength in my arms anymore because I had to stop lifting...so this DVD is GREAT for building my strength again.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    try using the MFP search function - many, many previous discussion on this topic.

I currently strenght train 3-4 times a week, alternating between upper body (Shoulder / Back / Chest) and Arms (tricep / bicep) and lower body - legs. I don't max out my weights except push harder for the last sets, but try to stick to a middle ground for the first three sets (10-12 reps x 4).
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hello and well done on getting in to it and not being worried about the fact that you aren't going to the gym :bigsmile:

1) It depends on what exercises you are doing and what muscles you are using. If you are doing your shoulder muscles then they will max out a lot easier than if you are doing squats or lunges which use much bigger muscle groups.
    2) Try to do the squats and lunges deeper and really concentrate on your form (straight back etc.). You could build in static squats where you go into the squat and then hold if for 30-40 seconds (trying to keep low). That always gets my thighs burning!
    3) This is really up to you. My personal trainer recommends you do it once every couple of days and then change the muscle groups that you are using. For me after a workout with my personal trainer I AM VERY SORE the next day so that probably explains why I don't do weights all the time.
    4) I'd always try to do the same amount of reps on my rights as my left even though it might be harder with the left. My PT says you should always try to workout symmetrically.
    5) You may not feel sore all the time but I feel sore when I've really really worked a particular muscle group. If you don't feel sore you should at least feel that your muscles are tired when you finish a set of reps (and it should get harder with each set to do the full amount).

I also think you might benefit from Strength Training for Dummies or a similar manual - especially since you are doing it from home so you probably need some guidance in the kind of exercises you can do.

Have fun with it and I hope this has helped a little :happy:
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Your responses have been helpful. I've tried the MFP search function but didn't have much luck finding specific answers to some of the Qs (like right/left arm asymmetry).

I'll try and find a cheap copy of Strength Training for Dummies off eBay... if it's had two recommendations it must be useful! Thanks! :)