Wobbling on the scale!

Options
There are a lot of factors suggested for changes in the number on the scale: water weight, water retention in sore muscles, bladder full, eaten food recently... I wondered if the state of the digestive tract could also be a factor. I also wondered if this may explain the quick loss of weight seen typically at the beginning of changing one's diet (7 lb loss in the first week or so!).

When we start changing our diet and counting calories, typically most of us will take in a smaller mass of food compared to the over-eating we were doing originally. The amount going into the digestive tract will be a lot less. However, we would probably egest (/poo) material out - material from our previous unhealthy diet - at the same rate as previously. This means that we end up with a lot less undigested material in our digestive tract, and this will translate to a lower weight on the scale. When we continue with our reduced intake, we reach a new equilibrium and then our following weight loss comes from our fat stores.

I wondered if anyone thought this might contribute, or even be a greater factor than, the idea that the first few pounds of weight are water-weight pounds. I've never quite understood why one would lose a lot of water weight anyway unless one changed the intake of sodium - and as far as I know people don't start trying to tackle sodium levels until they've mastered calorie control, much after the beginning of the diet.

Let me know your thoughts! Do we poo out our first few lbs? :laugh:

Replies

• Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ha ha love it! I think you're right :)
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I certainly believe that. I know that when I first started changing my eating habits there was a difference in my bowels.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that that may be part of the initial fast drop. BUT to add to your water weight comment, Just think of all the first things people tend to cut out when they first start dieting(..ur I mean Lifestyle changing) Fast food, Soda Pop, Candy, chips and dip, Desserts of all sorts, etc. This certainly accounts for massive amounts of sodium and sugar.

Sodium isn't the only thing that makes people gain water weight, Sugar will do the same thing.