Blueberries - what can I do with these little guys?

Options
crazycranberry
crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
Hey there,

So anyone got any suggestions for using Blueberries other than just munching on them from the punnet?

I normally stew blackberries or raspberries in a little water & sugar to put into my morning porridge or mix with greek yoghurt but wondered if you can do the same with blueberries?
Anyone got any suggestions how I can use these little guys in a different way?

Thanks
:bigsmile:

Replies

• alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    I often add them to a smoothie, which I really like but the skin does make the smoothie bitty. HTH
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    of course you can add them to yogurt! or oatmeal for that matter.
    my grandmother used to put a bunch in a bowl and fill it with milk- eat like cereal! you can drizzle in some honey too if thats not sweet enough :)
    they also work in salads too , with the right dressing
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    On dry cereal. On oatmeal. Under cottage cheese. Under greek yogurt.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yep you can treat them the same way. I like to just toss them into the porridge as it cooks. They break open and I don't need to add more sugar it. I also like to add them to my Greek yogurt and mix with cereal. Yum!
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Blueberry muffins (whole wheat), or pancakes, add to cereals in the morning. Part of a fruit salad-great with cantalope or peaches
  • PositiveGoals
    Options
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    great suggestions already. . . I also pop them in the freezer and they are an awesome little treat to pop a few in your mouth. Bursting with flavor and cool on hot days
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    a square of disgustingly dark chocolate in the microwave microwave 10 seconds, stir, add a dribble of cream, microwave, stir until melted, add blueberries, stir, grab spoon.
  • Danigirl1028
    Options
    I usually make a fruit salad with them. I cut up apples & strawberries and mix them with the blueberries it's so good.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    whole wheat blueberry muffins!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/whole-wheat-blueberry-muffins.html

I made these and they are divine :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    a square of disgustingly dark chocolate in the microwave microwave 10 seconds, stir, add a dribble of cream, microwave, stir until melted, add blueberries, stir, grab spoon.

That sounds by far the best. Mmm
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Put in a blender with some vanilla or plain yogurt (and strawberries if you wish). Puree and add a little agave or splenda and freeze in freezer pops for a cool treat!
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    Make Blueberry Cranberry sauce (tastes AMAZING on chicken or turkey breast)
    Make Blueberry Muffin Mix OOIAJ (the recipe is in my recipes)
    Make Blueberry Banana Pancakes, with smashed bananas in the pancake batter and rendered blueberries as the syrup
    Make A Sweet Pizza with a pita, smeared with PB or Greek yogurt (you NEED the thickness) and top with mixed fruits
    Make Blueberry Angelfood Cake and add squeezed/pureed blueberry juice instead of water like the recipe calls for.

Hope these help!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    blueberry butter balls
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup butter, unsalted
    1/2 cup blueberries
    2 egg yolks
    3 T shredded coconut, unsweetened
    1T vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
    let the butter sit out until soft. puree your blueberries in a food processor. if they are frozen, defrost them first otherwise they'll give you all kinds of issues when you mix them in with the butter. in a medium mixing bowl, add egg yolk, butter, vanilla, and blueberries. use a hand mixer to combine everything until fluffy and peak-y.

you *can*, if you want, add some honey, but it is absolutely not necessary if you have good quality blueberries and vanilla. you can probably add a dash or two more vanilla, too, to taste.

fold in the coconut until well combined. stick the entire bowl in the fridge and let sit for 45 mins to an hour. you want the mixture pretty solid.

take the mixture out and form into one inch balls. roll in extra shredded coconut to coat.

store in an airtight container in the fridge, otherwise they'll get all melty on warm days.

VARIATIONS:
    these are awesome as is, but you can also add ground almonds, walnuts, shredded dried figs, etc, for added texture and flavor. i didn't because i am avoiding that stuff

enjoy!

(copied from Marks Daily Apple, btw. Props to batty!)

Also, these are way addictive:
    http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/10/11/bedtime-blueberries/

oh and don't forget the various assorted baked goods (blueberry muffins, pancakes, waffles, etc)
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm salivating! :wink:

I'm gonna try Greek Yoghurt, blueberries (stewed a little) and chopped walnuts tomorrow I think! Yay!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Most of these have already been mentioned, but these are my personal favourites...

In oatmeal.
    In yogurt.
    I love putting them in my bran muffins.
    In pancakes/waffles.
    In smoothies.

Possibilities are endless!
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Freeze them. Serve like cereal with vanilla soymilk poured over the top. SO yummy. Cold. Creamy. Sweet. It curbs my craving for ice cream.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    make a blueberry crisp with cinnamon, splenda and fiber 1! yum! put them in shakes, cereal, yogurt, yum!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I usually have blueberries with greek or normal yogurt + almonds. Yummy!
    Sometimes I add cottage cheese to the mix, usually hate the stuff but it makes it quite nice with yogurt too :-)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I like 1/4 cup ricotta sprinkled with splenda and 1/4 cup of blueberries. Nice little snack