1200 cal diet

Options
so i was curious for everyone who has been dieting with 1200 cals and little excerise what has your outcome been have you lost alot of weight without doing much excerise and how long has it took? any info id appreciate thanks!

Replies

• sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    You will lose weight, but you need exercise to tone your body and to lose fat
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    I am one of the many on the 1200 calories a day. But I hardly ever stick to it. Excercise is a must so I can earn the extra calories as also allows me to eat some of the same foods as before this life style change.

I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 months, and I'm down 25lbs... I don't eat back all of the calories I earn through excercise, but it's certainly much easier to stick to the Net of 1200 when you work out.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The first month just cutting calories was an easy water/fat weight loss.. But in the second month I'm having to really put more effort in exercising and I cut more carbs and eat more protein. I hope this helps!
  • shel_lee_1
    Options
    i eat between 1200-1500 and go for walks every day i have found that i have been losing but it has been slowly. i was 185 two years ago and am currently 140. hope this helps ;)
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    In about 3 months I have lost 50lbs doing 1200cals and exercising a ton. (5-6days a week burning usually 1000cals per day). So yea....you will lose weight. Just make sure you hit your target in calories because falling short of 1200 calories you risk putting yourself in starvation mode. which can hinder you more than help you.

Hope this was useful.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    so i was curious for everyone who has been dieting with 1200 cals and little excerise what has your outcome been have you lost alot of weight without doing much excerise and how long has it took? any info id appreciate thanks!

1200 cals may be okay to begin with, but you will HAVE TO increase your calories as you start losing weight or else you will go into starvation mode and everything will come to a screeching halt. Been there, done that. And exercise is a must. Eating right will only get you so far. Sad but true.
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Im on 1200 calories and I have been steady losing a pound a week. I am going to start incorperating excercise to help boost my weight loss thou. Good luck to you !
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I assumed going from eating fast food everyday (often twice a day) to eating healthy and reducing it to 1200 cals a day, that I would drop weight like crazy and never have to lift a finger. Yeah, I was wrong. I did lose a little but I stalled out once by body figured out what was going on. The truth is, you have to add some kind of exercise to have true weight loss. Weight loss based on eating alone is the kind that will bounce right back if you stray from your 1200 cals. That was my experience anyway.
  • spaceylaceys
    Options
    ive used that calorie level before...had some success but also muscle loss, fatigue, and hunger...the best thing ive ever tried and am still doing is low carb!!! stay under 20 grams per day and after 48 hours your body will start MELTING weight off...also you can have more calories and still have the same weight loss, normally still more (i do 1400 and lose fast), and no muscle loss. Go two weeks like this and you will most likely lose 5-15 pounds easy without exercise even...of course exercise helps even more though....good luck :)
  • Lexi_Living_Life
    Options
    it was easy for me. you'll still lose the weight, but you need to work out so that when you lose you don't have lose skin.
  • Qhoney24
    Qhoney24 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have the same intake but i workout 6 days a wk and cardio i do 5 days a week, i weight train 3 days a week so i have seen the weight come off.. I was at 180 when i weighted in and i am down to 170 ( dont know where i am now). But burning everything that you eat is what you need to do to help rid the weight. Good Luck
  • stefdye
    stefdye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Dino,

By 1200 calories do you mean that's what you net a day, or that you eat 1200 and exercise -1000 to net 200 a day?
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    The whole 1200 calorie thing has only worked well for my friends who had over 75 or more pounds to lose! It's because they have alot of fat stores to burn off.

For my firends who had from 10 - 50 or so pounds to lose they saw very little results and were very frustrated. It was when they figured out the "maintanance" calories and then just took off about 15% for their deficit that almost ALL of them began to start losing at a steady and predictable rate.

Same for me. I came at this with 20 or so to lose. Told MFP I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week, so it gave me 1200.....didn't lose....didn't lose......3 weeks later still wasn't losing.

Read a great article here and suggested that for those of us who are smaller losers (like you), we need smaller deficits. so I went from telling MFP lose 2 pounds to just lose 1/2 pound and viola` it all started working for me....

Best of Luck!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am one of the many on the 1200 calories a day. But I hardly ever stick to it. Excercise is a must so I can earn the extra calories as also allows me to eat some of the same foods as before this life style change.

I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 months, and I'm down 25lbs... I don't eat back all of the calories I earn through excercise, but it's certainly much easier to stick to the Net of 1200 when you work out.

OOPS! Tried to reply to this post, but it got separated, so my remarks are below... Thanks!
  • 1life2live_cjg
    Options
    I'm on a 1250 cal diet. I've lost 8 pounds in the past two weeks, but I do exercise almost everyday. And I eat my exercise calories back.
  • Qhoney24
    Qhoney24 Posts: 31
    Options
    another thing make sure you snack ( smart ones) between meals 2-3 hrs apart.. and this 1200 cal intake will be a breeze but drink plenty of water.
  • ActiveFaith10
    ActiveFaith10 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    weight training and cardio go hand in hand so you dont lose just muscle!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    im one of them thats on 1200 also. But I exercise to eat more.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to do A THOUSAND CALORIES if I don't exercise!!! WHAT????? Talk about STARVATION! No wonder I can't stick to it! And - the truly devlish thing is that a smaller person wil burn less calories when working out, so 1200 calories feels like a 10 course meal to me!!! Soooo furstrating! SO - yes - I understand about "hardly ever stick to it!!!" :drinker:
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat a total of 1200 calories of food a day. And burn 1000 of that off so at the end of the day i usually net 200 calories. It has been consistently working for me. Haven't lost muscle I have actually gotten stronger and faster.

But also what i left out in my last post.... I eat ALOT of protein and low carb low sodium. The first 2 months id say I averaged 5lbs a week in lost weight now its down to about 3lbs a week.. but the close you get to your goal the more it will slow eventually.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!