My lesson: Patience and trust pays off

Options
olyrose
olyrose Posts: 569 Member
Since I started really using this site, my weight loss has been consistent, which makes it easier to keep following the goals. About four weeks ago, my weight loss came to a halt, and I gained 2 pounds (and even though I hadn't gone over my calories enough to gain 2 lbs of fat, it was still a gain).

Any other time I've attempted weight loss, that's exactly when I would have given up. I would have felt like if doing everything right wasn't working, then why should I try? Then I probably would have ordered a bunch of takeout and gorged for a few days until I made sure to really sabotage any efforts.

But I kept trying to remember this process works if I have patience. I tried to remember some of the eating habits I had that might have changed in the past few weeks, I stopped eating sandwiches, returned to salads for lunch, small snacks throughout the day, and lots of water, got a stability ball to do some stuff at home when I can't/don't want to go to the gym.

This week, the weight has just fallen off, I've lost over 3 pounds from the high I was at last week. I know that this time is different, because I actually stuck with it when I wasn't losing, and trusted that if I keep doing what I should be doing, I will see results from it, even if those results sometimes take a little while to show up.

Basically, I really love this site! (And everyone on it!! :heart: )

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Wonderfull!!!! More people need to read this
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I really needed that read! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was the same over the course of a few weeks I was up 4lbs

changed a couple of things but the 4 have come back off again!!
    so yeah having patience does work!!!

hope you reach your goal and the way you are doing it is the best way
    well done xx
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I need to keep this post in mind when I hit a stall!! I am not typically a patient person, and I have hit my stalls, but thankful I have not buried myself in food to make the "pain and frustration go away"

WTG for you!! Such inspiration
  • jacknellis
    jacknellis Posts: 16
    Options
    your doin fab, keep up the good work!!! :wink:
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I have 3 week plateaus all the time, then 3-6 lb drops. Patience is KEY and people need to learn that!
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!!:smile:
  • olyrose
    Options
    Patience IS key with weight loss, but it's so hard to remember that when I want change NOW! :laugh: Tracking calories has helped so much, too, because if I show a weight gain, I KNOW it can't be a fat gain if I'm sticking to my goals. That helps me to trust to be patient.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Persistence and patience is definitely key to succeeding on this journey. Glad to hear that you have broken through that mental barrier and learned that patience pays off. That's a really big success. :happy:
  • 33runnergirl
    33runnergirl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've stalled too over the last few weeks. Could have sworn my scale was broken! Joined MFP last week to hopefully get it moving in the right direction:smile:
  • olyrose
    Options
    I've stalled too over the last few weeks. Could have sworn my scale was broken! Joined MFP last week to hopefully get it moving in the right direction:smile:

Good luck to you! I've never been able to stick to any weight loss plan before this. I know it's partly that I was really ready for it, but the tools and support are completely amazing.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I agree more people need to read it. Congrats on getting through it and losing again. I need to read this daily..lol
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Hun! It is sooo hard to have patience, but the hard work shows sooner than you know!
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    good job! That is the way to hang in there. I am glad you posted this because it is easy to get discouraged at that point but perseverence really paid off. Congratulations!
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    Excellent post! Way to go on sticking with it and making it work! I've hit a lull right now and I really needed some inspiration. So thank you for taking the time to share!
  • olyrose
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'd always made weight loss such a private thing, and it feels so good to be able to share motivation and inspiration with such wonderful people. The people on this site make me believe I can do this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!