Calling all abdominoplasty & breast augmentation vets

Options
Please please at least message me if you have privacy concerns.

Welp... my mommy makeover/put Humpty Dumpty back together again/reward for having 3 kids/investment-method permanent birth control surgery is scheduled for Aug. 12th.

Today I asked how long I should freeze my 24hr fitness membership for & was told I could return to intensive exercise after 6 weeks, but light stuff like walking I can begin earlier. I'm the type who gets pretty stir-crazy in similar situations; after each birth (granted, non-cesarian), I was doing rowing machines & light jogging at 2.5-3 weeks. Though that probably was more getting the schedule down related more than feeling up to it related; otherwise I'd have started a bit earlier. I was told that the concern was heart-rate related because it could put too much pressure on the healing vessels and cause a bleed (scary). It's bad enough I take Adderal so my heart rate is elevated anyway (thinking I might just drop it for a week or two).

So far my understanding of the post-op situation is SUPER limited and from other's experiences (all augmentation only though); I'm going to be kept pretty drugged out of my gourd for the first week, respect the post-op garment instructions, may have to sleep in a chair (?!?), and massage the area. Any other tips & tricks?

How long was it before you attempted light exercise? What kind did you do? How long until you felt totally back to normal exercise-wise? 24hr fitness has a free personal-training session promo right now that I'm on track for & I have a trainer I've been working with and like (4 sessions thus far). I spoke to him and let him know about the surgery, he said they can do an indef account freeze and to come back when I can & if it's before the 6 weeks he'll work on a suitably light program for me. Is there some additional qualification I should check for?

Replies

• Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm curious about the responses too.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No info here but I can't wait to hear how it goes!! A friend of mine just had a tummy tuck, implants and lipo - was back to working in 2 wks with no issues. She did only walk until 6 wks after. She looks HOT and has had 4 children ;)
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    Bump. Good question.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know how things go for you. I am at a point where surgery is the only real option for the saggy skin on my belly and a MUCH needed 'refill' on the girls. I'm 41, but have the boobs of an 80 year old as a result of my weight loss, but I'm scared about both procedures. I would love to know how things go ... and to hear what those whoe have been through it have to say!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Well I'll be sure to keep everyone posted! The girls I know who have augmentation done never had kids or breastfed, so I'm really interested in hearing the pain/discomfort comparisons from women who've experienced engorgement & nursing, because then at least I'll have an idea I can gauge from. I've heard plenty of c-section mammas accounts of pain, so I'd be interested to hear if any women out there have had both a c-section & abdominoplasty and how the pain/recovery compares too.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I didn't have breast augmetation so I can't help you on that, but I had a tummy tuck in 2007.

Your recovery will depend on how much skin you will need to have removed and how much the doc had to mend your muscle wall. I don't know how much skin you need to have removed. I had about 6lbs and my muscles were only separated about 1/2 inch. With the tummy tuck, try not to stand up straight too fast. My doc couldn't get all of my stretch marks, but they are not as noticeable. I did sleep in an oversized chair or lots of pillows propped in the corner of the couch. I couldn't lay in bed for the first two weeks. It was too uncomfortable. You can't shower until your drains come out, so its nice if someone will be there to wash your hair. It will be hard for you to reach up and stretch for things over your head and to put shirts on for the first week or two as well.

Like I said your muscles are extremely tight , so you will have to ease into that. Most people have two drains attached one on each side for the first week, I only had one and I was upright and walking and taking on Tylenol by the 3rd day, but I also only had the tuck and no augmentation or lipo. I did follow the doctor and did not workout for 6 weeks after, then I was cleared. When I started to workout, I had to take it really slow when doing anything with my abdominals, which was practically everything. I wore my tummy support band that you get from surgery for the first month. You will tend to cramp easliy when doing any type of situps or ab work. I walked alot and did very small weights. It took me a good 3-6 months to really get back into a workout routine. I have some pics of my tummy on my profile if you want to look, but I still have a good 10-12lbs to lose.
    Oh also, your belly button looks funny too when its done. :tongue:

Good luck with everything. I would love to see your results when you are done!! :bigsmile:
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    BTW....I have had a C-section as well.............. AND my c-section with a smaller scar was WAY worse than my tummy tuck!! :sad:
  • madworld711
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this thread! I have a consult on Aug 9 for a breast augmentation & tummy tuck. I already have one child and my husband and I are talking about another. So, I'll probably just get the breast aug first. I don't breast feed anyhow.

I would love to keep up with your progress. I am nervous, but it's something I've been wanting for a while now. :)
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Doc says since all of my problem area is from only about a 1/2" above my belly button he might not be able to totally get rid of the old belly button hole, so I might have a slight vertical scar in the middle of the hip scar (I'm giggling as I write because I'm thinking of how one draws a cat's mouth) since I don't have much loose skin over my upper abdomen. Uh, an odd belly button can be pierced maybe for camouflage in time? Anything would be an improvement over what I see as a "wrinkly old man's eye" shaped one... I miss the sexy little vertical slit shaped belly button of my youth!

I'm guessing not too much muscle repair, like you, as none of my OB's reported diastasis. My doc said during the consult that doesn't do drains, I hope that makes things easier and not harder. He did chirp up and threw in that he ALWAYS does a little (30-40cc) lipo to the sides/muffintop area with his tucks. At first I freaked because I felt that would take away from my curves/waist-to-hip ratio, but he explained that he does it because it looks weird and "pinched" if he doesn't so I deferred to his judgement there.

(TMI/Partial Nudity warning) This is one of his "mommy makeover" patients who I feel I most resemble before-wise (except more symmetrical breasts and my nips are a tad higher/pointing more forward) that I was very pleased with the results he gave her. I showed him this during our sit-down office-setting visit part of the consult and when the examination part of the visit came along, he laughed and said he was amazed at how accurate I was in how I perceived my body in choosing the other case for comparison. He said he has women all the time say in the office visit "I look like this patient" (pointing at gallery picture) and when it's time to show the goods, their WAAAAY off... Lol.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.thecenterforcosmeticsurgery.net/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=299&StartRow=1
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    I already have one child and my husband and I are talking about another. So, I'll probably just get the breast aug first.

Yeah, I never heard of a doc saying it was advisable to have kids after a tuck, simply because the results get totally undone vs. augmentation where there is usually some but tolerable change to the results. Though I'm sure it's happened before; I guess you just have to have major revision surgery later. I was considering "TITAN" before the tuck though as a stop-gap between kids. It's the abdominal equivalent to that "Revitalift" (???) thing they advertise on TV all the time for the lower face. Something you might want to look into if it'll be awhile before the next baby.
  • roziepozie4876
    Options
    I've only had breast augmentation. I was really sore for the first week. After that I did walking, stair master, eliptical (with a tight non underwire sports bra on) It's been a year for me and some arm and chest exercises are still uncomfortable for me. I had mine placed behind the muscle to feel more natural. So when I do pec exercises I feel it. For 30 Day Shred I have to skip the push ups, it's still painful. Just take your time. You spend so much money and time to want to look good. Heal right, go slow, and you'll have the best results. Don't rush nature. Good luck!
  • madworld711
    Options
    I already have one child and my husband and I are talking about another. So, I'll probably just get the breast aug first.

Yeah, I never heard of a doc saying it was advisable to have kids after a tuck, simply because the results get totally undone vs. augmentation where there is usually some but tolerable change to the results. Though I'm sure it's happened before; I guess you just have to have major revision surgery later. I was considering "TITAN" before the tuck though as a stop-gap between kids. It's the abdominal equivalent to that "Revitalift" (???) thing they advertise on TV all the time for the lower face. Something you might want to look into if it'll be awhile before the next baby.

Interesting... I will look into it. Thanks :)
  • Swimgoddess
    Options
    Bump for a new set of eyes...
  • FutureMrsPostler
    FutureMrsPostler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Lauren and I am a plastic surgery (registered nurse) in Austin TX. The majority of our patients are very fit and active in the gym, so I understand your concerns about wanting to exercise as soon as you get the green light. I highly suggest waiting until it's been 6 weeks post-surgery. You will run into complications if you try anything too soon. Walking a few weeks after is just fine, as long as you keep your heart rate down (I wouldn't let your heart rate go above 110) as increased heart rate and increased blood pressure can cause bleeding AND you can cause the internal sutures (the stitches used to tighten your abdominal muscles, fascia, and underlying skin) to burst, and in that case you will have to go right back into the procedure room to have it fixed. You spend so much money to get these procedures done, why risk trying to do something too soon that could mess it all up for you? Best of luck! I've had my breasts done and I'm so happy. Tummytucks are painful, no doubt, but will last a very long time and your tummy will be hard as a rock! :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Bump cuz I had an appointment for both in 2010 but chickened out... may revisit the idea once I'm at my goal weight.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    When I got my breast augmentation I was really sore for the first week, but was able to resume some easy exercising after that. I had no trouble breastfeeding my son with the implants. I also don't have any issues doing pushups or other chest exercises at the gym. It's been 2.5 years for me, and they feel so natural now that I forget they aren't even real sometimes, LOL.
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am interested in your results because I am considering the same procedures in a couple of years..
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I only got boobs, no tummy tuck so I can't offer much advice but if your not a member already the forum justbreastimplants.com is awesome and has tons of mommy makeover members who share their experiences and can give you all the first hand experience advice about what exactly to expect.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    for the "permanent birth control" id wait a week, i had my tubes clamped and was fine to return to work 3 days later, BUT!!! you will be bleedig like a mofo and tender. so no lifting anything for like 10 days at least id say. i was most sore from them inflating my abdomen to perform the surgery. i guess some air can actually be left in and kinda floats around ur bod?? my shoulders were killing me for the 1st week. odd, yes, but true.
    as for the boobies, i had a reduction when i was 19 and now since the babies, weight gains and losses, i want them pumped back up too! so i cant say what it would be like for implants, if thats the way ur going, but as for the lift, OUUUUUUUCH! you wont be wanting to do too much at all for at least 2 weeks, you even have to have someone else wash ur hair for you as ur not supposed to lift ur arms above ur shoulders. walking would probly have ur arms rubbing up against the sides of ur boobs and cause some major irritation. id go overkill and wait even longer than 6 weeks if ur doing it all at once.
    i understand youre wanting to get back at it right away, but u need to consider what the long term effects of doing that may be. more irritation can cause bleeds, infections and permanant damage. the incisions need time, the scars are the scariest part. so take care of urself and DO NOT rush ur recovery! you have made it this far and u have the rest of ur life to work ur *kitten* off. u will get back to it.
    im also on a waiting list for a tuck consultation...im in desparate need! not a fan of the pancake tummy flap, oooooh so sexy...NOT! i might opt for a mini tuck, i think i can get away with it and im still very upset with the scarring on my breasts from my reduction 10yrs ago. its a big step, but im with u on this one. u can only get urself so far when u bear the cursed marks of pregnancy!! lol
    good luck and i hope u will keep us updated with pics later!!! xo
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Being a guy, but who had a wife, runner, I say, wait until you are sure. No need to rush it. You don't want any set backs!!!

Basil