Working and Protein Shakes.

Options
Just to cut it short, I work over eight hours on my feet. I run around like a crazy mad woman and I don't have a sitting break [maybe 5-10 minutes]. Since my legs are getting a massive workout, do you think it would be a good idea to have a protein shake after work? Yay or nay and why?

Replies

• crystalmichelle82
    Options
    i dont think that you should drink a protein shake for that reason. i get massive workouts on my legs and dont drink just a protein shake i drink shakeology but that's just me and since you were asking, lol. :wink:

the protein shake to me is for those that are trying to build muscle and are lifting heavy weights to accomplish that. it sounds to me that you are doing a lot of cardio.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You'll get varied responses, but I have half of portion with breakfast (your body hasn't had any in eight hours) and sometimes another before bed, along with post workout protein.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    The protein shake isn't just for those that are lifting weights? Crazy... its to repair muscle. Muscle needs repair when it's being worked. But, I dont think you need the shake. Just make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet, like pork/chicken/fish, and you should be fine..
    the protein shake to me is for those that are trying to build muscle and are lifting heavy weights to accomplish that. it sounds to me that you are doing a lot of cardio.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Well, it's not like I'm lifting weights, but I am lifting heavy boxes periodically throughout the day. I am doing a lot of cardio, but it's various other stuff as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Just to cut it short, I work over eight hours on my feet. I run around like a crazy mad woman and I don't have a sitting break [maybe 5-10 minutes]. Since my legs are getting a massive workout, do you think it would be a good idea to have a protein shake after work? Yay or nay and why?
    Unless you're carrying a bunch of heavy weight, you're just doing daily activity. You didn't "break down muscle fiber" so really no need to have protein for muscle recovery.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? Then most definitely, you need plenty of protein. Whether you're working out or weight training or not, doesn't matter. The chemical reaction that burns fat requires 3 parts fat to 1 part protein. Obviously, you're hoping your body will harvest the fat it has stored, and burn that. But it has to burn it *with* protein. And you don't want your body harvesting that protein from your muscles, right? You want to lose the fat but not lose the muscle. So it's important to eat (or drink, as in a shake) plenty of protein each day. The guidelines on this site, as well as from the US Govt, are usually set way too low for overweight people. My doctor has told me I should be eating 300g protein a day. It depends on your metabolism. But I would err on the side of too much protein rather than too little.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just breifly....

#1) if you run around for 8 hours a day every day, your legs are not getting a workout, it just means you are not leading a sedentary lifestyle. Since your body has become used to this ruitine, it's no longer work, it's normal. A workout for your legs would require resistance, i.e., leg press, leg curls, extensions, weighted lunges, squats, etc.

#2) It's not cardio unless you keep your heartrate up for a prolonged period consistantly. i.e. walking, biking, jump-roping, roller blading, etc. for 20 minutes without stopping.

#3) Protein is not for building muscle only. It can be used as a great meal replacement if you don't have time to sit and eat but should not be taken instead of eating all day long. It is not a balance diet, but more of a filler if you are not taking it in high quantities for muscle repair and recovery.
  • jeaniedev
    jeaniedev Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Great resonses from everyone...If you are going to be home I think you should have a meal...even if it is milk and some eggwhites....
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options

#3) Protein is not for building muscle only. It can be used as a great meal replacement if you don't have time to sit and eat but should not be taken instead of eating all day long. It is not a balance diet, but more of a filler if you are not taking it in high quantities for muscle repair and recovery.

love it.....and my addition is that do what works for you...I lift weights 3 days and week but I still drink 1 scoop of protein in the morning and 2 after my workout....on the 3 days of weights, i'm still doing cardio after work....my protein is set for half my body weight and this way, i'm getting the amount I need along with my meals...
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Just breifly....

#1) if you run around for 8 hours a day every day, your legs are not getting a workout, it just means you are not leading a sedentary lifestyle. Since your body has become used to this ruitine, it's no longer work, it's normal. A workout for your legs would require resistance, i.e., leg press, leg curls, extensions, weighted lunges, squats, etc.

#2) It's not cardio unless you keep your heartrate up for a prolonged period consistantly. i.e. walking, biking, jump-roping, roller blading, etc. for 20 minutes without stopping.

Right on!!