Exercise once or twice a day.

Options
Hello everyone:

This is my scenario:

I consume 1200 calories daily; I drink protein shake as meal replacements and two lean meals for the day. I usually exercise once a day- 5 times a week; however when I have the extra time I either go to the gym for 1hr workout, or do a 24 minutes session with Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30. What I am begining to notice is I lose less the days that I exercise twice a day than when I exercise just once a day. I drink plenty of water and I don't go over the soduim as often. I never eat more than 140 grams of fat. It seems that I am losing less and less everyday. I know that because I'm on the scale every morning to check my progress. Lol!!!

Is it because I burn too many calories and not eating them back?

I don't know I just can not come up with an solution?

Please tell me what you think???

Replies

• Caitttlinn
    Options
    I have this same problem :/
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    Y'alls looking at the scale too often!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    You're probably working too hard. I know it feels like we need to work this hard, but exercising once/day should be plenty!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back any of your exercise calories? Maybe your body isnt getting enough fuel!!!

I was getting REALLY discouraged because I was only losing MAYBE a pound a week for over a month. Im a big girl with a lot to lose so my scale should be moving more than that. I took a few days and knocked back my exercise (one day with NO EXERCISE at all and then minimal for two days). I was kind of in the dumps - so I ate a bit of junk (I didnt go WAY over my calories but I went a bit over). And all of a sudden the scale was moving - and fast!!!

So this week I have been pumping up the exercise hard core - but Im also upping my calorie intake to go with it. MFP set me to 1800cals/day but I found this was too much - so I manually put it to 1500.

Maybe let your body relax from exercising for a couple days - and up your calories a smidge
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Is it because I burn too many calories and not eating them back?

I'm inclined to say yes. The general idea for most people stalling or slowing down their progress lies within diet 85% of the time.
  • pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself every day? You should try to weigh only 1x per week max & should be around the same time per day when you've eaten similar things over the last 12 hours and had similar bathroom breaks.

If you are weighing yourself every day then you probably will weigh more on days you work out, when your body is sore the lactic acid may build up in your muscles...

When you're working out 2x's per day, make sure to incorporate some weights and alternate your routine to avoid burnout.

Eat more too... you should give your body enough fuel for it to be comfortable letting go of it's (reserve aka fat).

I used to eat way too little and only lost like 0.4 here and 0.2 there each week... it was awfully frustrating.

good luck!
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    DON'T WEIGHT YOURSELF EVERY DAY!!
    I know we are excited to see our progress but out bodies can go up and down in weight every day based on water weight and as a girl menstral water gain. Stay off the scale every day, pick one day a week and it will help with the mental anxiety that you are feeling from not losing weight.
    Your losing girl but cant expect to see it on a scale everyday!!!
    As well if you work out twice your muscle will grow more from the exercise causing a gain in water and a gain in weight to repair from this extra work. don't worry that it is a bad thing, extra exercise is extra good!
  • sheilarivera
    sheilarivera Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you want to work out twice a day, DO IT! Maybe just switch up the exercises you're doing! you're body is probably use to the current regiment.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    You need to net at least 1200 calories a day, and if you do 2 routines in a day you need to eat more to give your body more fuel.
    The days I do 2 routines I eat more and get as close as possible to netting 1200 calories.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just did two weeks trying 2 exercises daily and I didnt lose anything in fact I gained on and off the same 2 pounds....so Im back to my original plan of 60min exercise and 1200 calories and all is well and losing again.....just have to keep pushing through the plateaus and dont get frustrated and change up your plan...
  • graceangel8
    graceangel8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since you are a fan of Jillian, you might really get benefit from listening to her podcasts. Here's the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jillian-michaels-show/id418368811

She would definitely say that you need to eat your calories. 1200 per day is already a caloric deficit for you. So when you expend energy (burn more calories) you are creating an even greater caloric deficit. By not eating calories to support the ones you burned, your body goes into starvation mode and stops losing weight...it thinks you need to hold onto every ounce you have and you lower your metabolism. Not good!

Try it for a week or two and I think you will see the scale start to move. :)
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is pointless, try once a week and measurements. Also most likley you are seeing less weight loss on the day you workout more becuase your muscles are holding onto more water to repair the muscles.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Omgosh, girl. I got hungry just reading your initial post. :noway:

Eat more and weigh yourself less.
  • sputkon
    sputkon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should never consume less than 1600 hundred cals, why Im not sure, something about the body burning off muscle instead of fat. I would use a measuring tape instead for feedback. I havent lost much in wt but my measurements are changing alot and this to me is more important than the scale. Good Luck and keep up the good work!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE!!!! You need fuel to get through those workouts, even if it's just one. That's why it is frequently suggested that you eat back your exercise calories. I don't lose weight when I don't eat back the cals.
  • sreece13
    sreece13 Posts: 12
    Options
    Taking a break seemed to help me too. I think when I first started working out alot and drastically cut my calories my body went into shock. Eating more calories one day and less the next seems to help. I've found that once your body gets into the routine of shedding pounds you will be golden...until then don't get discouraged. Just keep at it and I promise the weight will start coming off!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Y'alls looking at the scale too often!

Agree!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    2 things you might need to eat more and if you are eating 1200 caories 140 grams of fat is a LOT! You should play wiuth the exercise calories since everyone is different on whether they need to eat them oro not. Also lifting more wieghts might hep speed up your metabolism too.

Good luck
  • phany76
    phany76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow i agree with your response pauterson, i currently have the same problem with Maltidor and i was wondering also why am i not losing when i exercise a lot, and eat little. I would loose, 0.2, 0.4 never the big numbers, and yes that is very frustrating. Your advice really helps. My only problem is i am scared to eat more when i exercise so i don't gain wait. It will be even more frustrating to me to gain instead of loosing 0.2, 0.4 hear and there. I guess i need to choose my battles right. Well thanks for your response it helped me, i hope it helped Maltidor.