What are your food allergies?

Options

Replies

• stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I know its a food intolerance, but I can't do bell peppers of any color and they are hidden in so much food. I have to just say I'm allergic so I don' t have to eat them and be nauseous with severe heart burn for hours afterward.

I thought i had stomach issues, but it was the peppers, if I avoid them, I NEVER have heartburn or other stomach issues.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm allergic to is plantains (but not bananas oddly enough). My almost 2 year old we're watching for a possible peanut allergy though I have to be really careful with peanut butter.
    I do know how frustrating it is to try and eat and cook around food allergies though, we have a niece who has a list of over 70 things that she's allergic to.
  • bellathorne70
    Options
    Soy. It is not severe so I still eat it anyway but yeah.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1968474,00.html

Interesting article about building up tolerance to allergens. Not saying for anyone with allergies to do this, but the peanut allergy from 0-32 in a year was pretty remarkable :) There's no food allergies in my home but my kids won't touch peanut butter with a ten foot poll :(
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am Allergic to almost all nuts . Excluding hazelnuts, pinenuts, and chestnuts.
    It is annoying as i stick to mainly a raw vegan diet, and alot of recipe's use nuts... right down to organic almond butter, milks and nut cheeses!!

My daughter is allergic to Oranges - so we cant keep these in our house , And Now 4 days ago my 4yr old son was Diagnosed Celiac's and total dairy Intolerant. Not just lactose but also Caisen.

With all of the above in mind it's making grocerie shopping harder... but more creative in the kitchen!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Do they keep you from eating the way you should?

I'm allergic to apples, peaches, pears, plums, figs, apricots, cherries, and almonds! My allergist said because I was so allergic to tree pollen, my body thinks I'm eating pollen when I eat a fruit or nut from a tree that has a pit!

It sure makes eating healthier less fun!!

That's Oral Allergy Syndrome then, not a true allergy. You may find that you can eat these foods if they are cooked (changes the structure of the protein) or during seasons when the pollens to which you are allergic are not floating around. Folks with OAS usually have the worst response to the food in it's raw state.

I have OAS too. ;) Here's an article on it for those who've never heard the term before: http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/oas.htm

If you google Oral Allergy Syndrome, you may be able to find a better list of cross-reactions.

wow that sounds like what I have, but I've never gotten it diagnosed. I can't eat apples or peaches in their raw state, but I can eat them cooked. I also have a reaction to almonds and hazelnuts. I think I need to get tested to see for sure what I am allergic to.
  • FatGirlSlim89
    Options
    I'm allergic to all dairy. Everything. I can't eat anything with traces in it, I've been rushed to hospital after eating a tablet containing it. My face swells up if I even put a bit in my mouth by accident (ate a bit of salad with parmesan in it, spat it out) and I come out in hives. Since my allergy has been so severe it's been life changing. I've had 2 severe kidney infections because of my body's reaction to eating traces of it (by accident). I would a positive is I eat healthier though lol!

I have VERY bad IBS also, but right now I'm going through a remission period so i'm fine at the moment. It's just horrible that I have to cut wheat, grease etc out as WELL as dairy when my IBS is bad!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to wheat, dairy, lettuce, spinach, almonds, yeast and several others.

If are allergic to dairy, but not soy, try soy yogurt. It's very yummy and good for you. Feel free to look at my diary to see how I ear. :)
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to all dairy. Everything. I can't eat anything with traces in it, I've been rushed to hospital after eating a tablet containing it. My face swells up if I even put a bit in my mouth by accident (ate a bit of salad with parmesan in it, spat it out) and I come out in hives. Since my allergy has been so severe it's been life changing. I've had 2 severe kidney infections because of my body's reaction to eating traces of it (by accident). I would a positive is I eat healthier though lol!

I have VERY bad IBS also, but right now I'm going through a remission period so i'm fine at the moment. It's just horrible that I have to cut wheat, grease etc out as WELL as dairy when my IBS is bad!

are you okay with eating bovine protein?
    I know a lot of people who have dairy allergies developped intolerances or allergies to beef.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to:

Wheat
    Eggs
    Dairy
    Tomatoes
    Peanuts
    Corn

I also cannot tolerate meat because of IBS ad an extra 3 inches of ascending colon. AND I'm gluten intolerant which means I don't eat fake meat because they are either made from gluten, eggs, or dairy.

I eat ALOT of beans and rice. I LOVE almond butter. I stick to shopping at health food stores because the labels are easier to navigate. And I stock up on loads of fresh veggies and fruit.

Those allergies are what made me a ninja in the kitchen. My daughter shares those allergies so meal times became a real hassle. I started testing new recipes and tweaking, then I started tweaking old faves so we could have some sort of normalcy.

We sometimes eat those things anyway for convenience, but the payback isn't usually worth it. We get hives and BM issues, thankfully never an acute reaction. Though I do carry an epi pen just in case.
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24
    Options

Do they keep you from eating the way you should?

I'm allergic to apples, peaches, pears, plums, figs, apricots, cherries, and almonds! My allergist said because I was so allergic to tree pollen, my body thinks I'm eating pollen when I eat a fruit or nut from a tree that has a pit!

It sure makes eating healthier less fun!!

That's Oral Allergy Syndrome then, not a true allergy. You may find that you can eat these foods if they are cooked (changes the structure of the protein) or during seasons when the pollens to which you are allergic are not floating around. Folks with OAS usually have the worst response to the food in it's raw state.

I have OAS too. ;) Here's an article on it for those who've never heard the term before: http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/oas.htm

If you google Oral Allergy Syndrome, you may be able to find a better list of cross-reactions.

I have oral allergy syndrome as well. I can't eat bananas or any type of melons. I wish I could eat bananas because I love them and they would be good for me right now. I CAN eat them when they are cooked but no one cooks melons :(
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm alergic to certain types of "fake meat" vegetarian foods. Seeing as I'm a vegetarian, and this happens, it makes it even harder to get my protein....D:. I get incredibly sick to my stomach, where it hurts so bad I can bareley move until it's out of my system hahaXD.

just a suggestion, nuts are full of protein and peanut butter has tons of it. You probably already know that though
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to shrimp, which is no biggie b/c I'm vegetarian, but I have an intolerance to mushrooms so I tend to just say I'm allergic rather than explain. This is super frustrating as a vegetarian, b/c most vegetarian options at restaurants and in cookbooks feature mushrooms. That said, I wouldn't trade my intolerance for some of the allergies on here! Eep! I've lucked out in life.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I can't have honeydew melon. I was given it once as a child and it caused my lips and mouth to swell. (My lips actually turned inside out.)

I am also sensitive to dyes. Red dye #40 does a number on me. It can be fun for awhile, best energy drink in the world. But, then comes the crash. I can barely move the next day, everything hurts and I have to sleep because I usually get a migraine.
  • amyliu7
    amyliu7 Posts: 17
    Options
    i just did the alcat food intolerance test and i'm pretty much allergic to everything.... chicken, apples, bananas, almonds, strawberries, clove, cocoa, green and black tea, coffee, mint, cinnamon, coconut, fig, fructose, egg white, garlic, honeydew, iceberg lettuce, peaches, scallops, sesame, tuna, corn, green pea, halibut, green pepper, grapefruit.... the list goes on. but once i stopped eating all of these things, i've felt more energetic and am able to live a much more fulfilling life. and i've lost a few pounds in the process. :happy:
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to mushrooms and shellfish... Doesn't really slow me down... I know what they do to me so it makes me not want them. lol
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Chinese. Don't know what's in it that makes me allergic, but I can't go near the stuff.
  • cwolf1982
    cwolf1982 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am allergic to fish:(.. I wanted to go vegan but that is out of the question. I have a bad reaction of hives, ad hard to breath... I tried talapia and loved it but had a bad reaction. What is funny is if you can't eat talapia you can't have tuna.. although I have not had fresh tuna I do eat canned albacore alot and no reaction. I am afraid to try fresh because of the warnings of it... I can eat shell fish and shrimp.... thats a plus for the shrimp not so much for the lobster to high in fat...
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    I've got a strange one: cranberries. I only had to breath the steam from cooking them to get hives and mild breathing issues. I'm fairly paranoid about actually eating them.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    severely allergic to seafood
    mild sensitivity to cinnamon