First grandchild born - NSVs

Options
ShellyMacchi
ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
a couple of days ago my DIL went into labour with my first grandchild *S*

They live approx 1.5 hours away from me, and had not seen me since our family get-together at Christmas last year.
Since that time i have lost a lil weight *S*... i have sent before and 'during' pics to them (as i am not yet at goal... 19 pounds to go to reach high end of normal weight range) so they were not unaware of the changes in me.

When i got the call things were happening i immediately headed off to be there.
When my son first saw me his expressions was 'thunderstruck'.. no other word for it *S*
and the first thing he said was 'good god, you look anorexic!!!'
*L*
Now with apologies to those who deal with that condition, i knew that, being him, he did not mean i looked sick or bad... it was his way of saying thin at 2am in the morning when he is too tired and a lil nervous *S*
i said thank you... to which he assured me he did not mean unhealthy, he just meant he had never ever seen me this size (aka..small).
He was right... he never has seen me this size... neither have i *L*

The labour slowed... and son and DIL were sent home to rest, so i drove home too
... 2 days later it was happening again, 8:30 at night the call came through and off i went again.

When i arrived this time more people were already standing around waiting, including DILs parents who had not been there earlier in the week. i walked up to them, gave them each a big hug... and i could tell by the look on her face she was feeling uncomfortable about something.. it crossed my mind it would be funny if she was not recognizing me but i discounted that and was chatting with everyone, when suddenly she said 'Michele!'
looking at her i could see the recognition dawning on her face... and i smiled and asked 'you didn't recognize me did you?'.. to which she blurted out 'my gods woman, where's the rest of you, i did NOT recognize you though i was sure the voice was familiar!'

i swear that totally made my night... well... correction.. it added to my night since the birth of my granddaughter had pride of place for excitement for me *S*

There was a part of the event that was extremely emotional for me as well, let's just say upsetting (nothing to do with baby, son and DIL *S*).... an i left to drive home shortly after midnight... and literally cried the whole drive home. So many emotions at play *S*

As i pulled into the city, last couple of blocks before reaching the house, feeling rather exhausted from it all by then (why is it when you feel bad about something it always feels worse around 1:30am? *small laugh*)..and there i was sitting at a traffic light as a truck full of young (20ish) guys pulled up beside me.
They were determined to get my attention for some reason so i obliged and looked... they were waving and smiling, wanted to talk to me... then wanted me to follow them to a party, then one informed me i was sooooo pretty and my eyes were just gorgeous, and please please please come party with them.

Bless their hearts.. they made me smile..
Granted it was dark, late, and they were drunk... i am sure the shadows helped hide some evidence from them that they were making a pass at a 54 year old... but i still smiled anyway, and was flattered despite their inebriation *L*...
By the time i waved to them as i pulled away to their groans of dismay, i was smiling still...and i wish i could have thanked those 'kids' for the gift they gave me when i really needed one emotionally *S* 7 months and 62 pounds ago they sure would not have been so eager to try to get me to party with them *L*

btw... here's the proud 'nana' last night

this baby will be the very first member of my family who will never know the overweight/obese 'Shelly/Michele' everyone else has known all their lives

5939741688_236d5dd68b.jpg

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    what a beautiful baby....you look GREAT as well =) congrats
  • blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wonderful NSV! Congratulations on both the nsv and your new grandbaby! :flowerforyou:
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    OMG Im just about in tears! Great job and adorable little baby!!!
  • ReadyMom
    ReadyMom Posts: 59
    Options
    Such a cool story! You look great and congrats on the granddaughter!
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss and your first grandbaby... awesome :-)
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Tear :)
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    So much there to celebrate! You're awesome grandma!!
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    wow just wow so amazing!! Awesome story thank you for sharing it!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Shelly, your new grand babygirl is a lucky baby having you as her "nana."
  • trollins1754
    trollins1754 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congratulations on your first grandbaby!
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    That is so very, very sweet. Sweet right down to your soul. Congrats. Betcha you're looking forward to many fun years together - even more years now, after taking good care of yourself. See? Now your grandchild will also reap the rewards of your efforts, as well as yourself.

Mmmmm.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Shelly! I am so happy for you and your whole family!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh Shelly - what a wonderful time in your life - you look so amazing - and have done so fantastically well - you rock this new life of yours lady - and your grand bub will have a fit gorgeous grandma to drag around as she grows up :-)

I am so happy for you - and so glad that I have "met" you on here - hopefully one day we get to meet on a mountain top somewhere and celebrate our new lives!!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Shelly I am pretty sure I know what your sad moment was about. I have to imagine that in some ways there was also a good feeling........ a feeling of being so happy to have to deal with that bad/sad moment looking so really great!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Shelly I am pretty sure I know what your sad moment was about. I have to imagine that in some ways there was also a good feeling........ a feeling of being so happy to have to deal with that bad/sad moment looking so really great!

*soft laugh*... you are right hun.. on both accounts, and right about the touch of gloating i was doing inside too 'cause i knew i looked so much better in comparison. It helped alot *tight hug*
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Happy Grandparenting!!! You look fabulous... and think of all the energy you'll have to play with her for HOURS!!!! Yay!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Congrats all around!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options

*soft laugh*... you are right hun.. on both accounts, and right about the touch of gloating i was doing inside too 'cause i knew i looked so much better in comparison. It helped alot *tight hug*

darn right you had better have been gloating :) and you didn't tell me about the guys in the car yet :P that's a good one! now you could come out with me and people will be looking at you and i will be getting all jealous as they come up to me and ask me if you are my sister.
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful day you had!!! Congratulations to you and your family!!!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    How wonderful. One of my motivations is to get healthy for when I am a grandmother even though I am a bit older than you. Congratulations on this wonderful occaision and for getting healthy to enjoy it. You rock! and what a cute kid too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!