Who lost lbs eating exercise calories that MFP gives?

Options
I am curious to know who does NOT use a heart rate monitor, yet goes by MFP's exercise calories and eats them back and continues to lose weight? I have 2 heart rate monitors. I know that I am big but walking outside for 60 mins one says I burn 900 calories, mfp says I burn 400 and the other hrm does not take my weight into consideration says I only burn like 300... which one is correct? i want to just use mfp's numbers but I want to know if anyone has actually lost using their numbers. thanks!

Replies

• WowieGarcia
    Options
    I did. I used the MFP database for months until I got my HRM about a month ago.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Me. 40# since beginning of March. :happy:

Caveat: I've got MFP set for a 0.5# per week loss and average 2#. Maybe I'm just extra muscly? :bigsmile:
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I do. I've lost 10# my first 2 months. I don't have an HRM, just use the MFP guidelines and eat back my exercise calories.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i ate all my exercise cals this week (my first week!) and lost 3 lbs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I mostly used MFP's numbers.

When I do EA Active Sports, that has a built in HRM. That's a "video game" but it's really more of an interactive workout dvd. But I log the numbers that gives.

Otherwise, I go by MFP, the readouts on gym machines (since incline and resistance plays a part there), or when I run, the number given on runkeeper.com, which is pretty much the same as MFP's numbers, but goes by the exact pace I'm going rather than in increments of .5 mph.

I've used MFP's estimates for mowing the lawn and shoveling the sidewalk, too. But for stuff like housework, I only log it if it's a marathon cleaning session. Like when the inlaws are coming to town and I need to de-fur the house. They're allergic to cats and we have seven. :wink:

It's worked well for me. :smile:
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If I think it seems a little high I adjust it, but otherwise I log it as is on MFP and have lost about 40lbs (all total, i quit for a couple weeks but have since been back on track)
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For the first four months that I did MFP, I was using their calculated exercise calories for jogging, and I did lose weight. For the most part, I was losing the ~2lb per week that I wanted based on their calculated numbers. Any deviation was because of me going off plan. I've been doing Couch to 5K Now I have been using a HRM and I am on week 5 (I've repeated a lot) and it says that I am burning less calories than I did during week 1. I don't know which to truly believe, but most people seem to agree that the HRM is more accurate. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that there's been a big jump in weight loss because I've been splurging at a lot of barbecues this summer :D I am still at my 2lb/week loss rate, for the most part.

In the end, every day that you get up and do some exercise, I consider it an accomplishment! If you are going to use MFP's exercise numbers, I would stay strict to the daily calorie intake and don't allow yourself to go over. It worked for me.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump...curious to read responses
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    leave a little deficit..
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    leave a little deficit..
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's numbers, except for when I am on my exercise bike, as that tells me. Otherwise swimming, walking, bike riding, aerobics - I use MFP's numbers. I am set for 1 lb/ week, average 2 lb/week weight loss. I eat back my exercise calories - not always all of them - it depends on what I happened to eat that day and how much I exercise, but I always dip into my exercise calories to a point.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do too.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have, too I'm down almost 10 pounds using the MFP calculations and eating back my exercise calories. That's part of my motivation to exercise every day...more to eat! :laugh:
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump.. also curious
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'd do an average. The 900 for walking seems a little high. What was your average heart rate?
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank u everyone! it really helps, I think I just wasted money on two heart rate monitors this year and really don't need them
  • 4himalone
    4himalone Posts: 69
    Options
    Bump...curious to read responses

me too!
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'd do an average. The 900 for walking seems a little high. What was your average heart rate?

I'm walking of course there are hills, etc and my average heart rate is always between 146-152
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I have used MFP (don't have an HRM yet) for almost 4 mths now and I have lost 22 lbs. out of the 32 lbs I want to lose. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't own a HRM. I go by the machines at the gym (or the numbers MFP has on their database if I'm not using a machine - like today, I did circuit training that worked my legs, arms AND shoulders... plus, I DID run for 3/4 of a mile. Then I went swimming... I used MFP's numbers for all of it) and I always eat my exercise calories.

I've lost 60lbs.