Should I have MFP recalculate?

Options
When I logged my weight, it says that MFP can recalculate my goals. I'm scared to click it because I don't know what will happen and I don't want to mess up a good thing... What does that mean and what does it do to your goals? I've been doing this 30 days and have already lost 11 lbs I don't want to stop losing! Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    As you loose weight your metabolism also changes and your body will start burning less calories (your mass is smaller so the effort is also minimized), this is why it is wise to recalculate your goals. I see no problems with having MFP recalculate, if you don't think you can make those new goals you can always change them on your profile later.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I get that message a lot, but its only ever 1x done anything. It readjsted my calorie intake to keep losing the amt of weight I wanted to lose each week.
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    Your daily calorie alotment will be less. It goes down as you lose weight.
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    I agree with everyone else; your BMR changes with weight loss, so you will need to recalculate. You can adjust some of the other goals like daily sodium or carb intake on your own, but calories are the winning ticket for general weight loss.
  • livesthere
    livesthere Posts: 71
    Options

Maybe I started out wrong-- because I input that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week when I set MFP up, so my calories are already only 1200. I can't imagine eating less than that! Maybe I will change it and see what it says for me...
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MFP will ask you this after every 10 pounds you lose and log. I always do it so it keeps the calorie goals set for the right amount I want to lose per week.
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Maybe I started out wrong-- because I input that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week when I set MFP up, so my calories are already only 1200. I can't imagine eating less than that! Maybe I will change it and see what it says for me...

Oh....well it won't automatically let you go less than 1200 so I don't think it would do anything even if you said yes!
  • livesthere
    livesthere Posts: 71
    Options

Oh....well it won't automatically let you go less than 1200 so I don't think it would do anything even if you said yes!

I was afraid it was going to give me more calories! Haha... I'm a nerd.
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I get that message a lot, but its only ever 1x done anything. It readjsted my calorie intake to keep losing the amt of weight I wanted to lose each week.

I've gotten that message twice so far, and mine hasn't done anything (that I've noticed)
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ahh, since you are already at 1200 cals per day, changing your goals won't do anything, because MFP will not lower your cals below 1200. it just means you won't be losing 2lbs a week anymore.
  • wendraa
    wendraa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got to 20lb today but it hasnt tried to recalculate?