Net calories consumed

bittygirl51
bittygirl51 Posts: 7 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, this is gonna sound really dumb...but I'm a WW POINTS person that is totally clueless when it comes to tracking calories etc;...So here goes: I happened upon the reports for the first time today. When I look at my nutrition report it shows that I have consumed less than 1200 NET calories each day that I have tracked. Am I possibly not eating enough for all that I am working out?

I am eating my 1200 REAL calories daily, but I burn at least 500 - 1100 calories per day with exercise. It was eye opening when I saw that....I've been on a plateau (with a little gain) for almost 2 years now. That is why I switched to MyFitnessPal. I need to shake things up cause I wanna lose another 10 lbs.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• nakie22
    nakie22 Posts: 13 Member
    You may need to increase your calorie intake to increase your metabolism
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    If you're eating 1200 calories, but then burning 500-1000 calories through exercise -- you're only netting 200-700 calories a day. This is, as a rule, not enough calories for our bodies to function properly on - let alone lose weight. In order for our bodies to feel comfortable enough to lose weight (the right way) - you HAVE to fuel it properly.

I NET 2200-2500 calories a day. That is NET calories!

Now, I'm not saying everyone can NET that many calories and lose weight or maintain, but for me -- my body actually wants MORE calories.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    I'm new here but as I understand it we are supposed to 'net' whatever our daily goal is (mine is 1250). So if I eat 1250 but earn 500 exercize calories and I eat 1750 calories, I still NET 1250. This is liberating and offers a lot of control imo. Like I went out to eat last night and went over, I paid for it in almost 2 hours of exercize that night, but I still wasn't discouraged because I 'ruined' my day going 500 over...since I didn't :) I still 'netted' my goal.

If you're eating 1200 calories and earn 1100 from exercize you've only netted 100. So maybe nakie is right, you need to jumpstart your metabolism a bit, maybe you're in starvation mode? Are you hungry?
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Chevy - I am sooo jealous.
  • chevy88grl
    Also, please be prepared for a slight increase in your weight initially when you raise your calories. Since your body is likely in starvation mode right now, you may see a slight increase on the scale with the increased calories. Don't worry. It will come back off.

The completely opposite may also happen (this is what happens to me) - as soon as you raise your calories, you may lose more weight because you're giving your body enough fuel to function correctly.
  • chevy88grl
    Chevy - I am sooo jealous.

I upped my calories a couple weeks ago (from 2200-2500 to 2400-2700) and my body LOVED it. I lost 2-3lbs and stayed right there. Unfortunately for my body, I don't like eating that much. It may LOVE that many calories, but I find I eat too much junk because I feel like I can with that many calories a day. So, I dropped back down to my 2200-2500 -- the few pounds I lost with higher calories came right back within a few days of lowering them.

Yeah. My body is odd.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    wow Chevy look at you!! You look good!
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    They are.right increase those calories. Your body is in starvation mode.
This discussion has been closed.