Sportline S7 Watch

Options
I just got this watch today at noon (put it on my arm about 1 pm) and it is now a lil after 8 pm. In those 7 hours it says I burning 1570 calories. In that, I worked till 3 at a sit down job, answering phone. Went home, did my Julian Michael 25 minute workout of 30 day shred (20 minutes to the workout and 5 extra minutes of more situps), cooked dinner, and helped my husband in the yard. Now, all those calories I burned duing all of that, should I log all of those? Should I use the watch all day and track the calories I burn in a day total or just track the calories I burn when I am working out? I burned 433 calories working out which is WAY higher then the counter I have been wearing on my side for last few weeks. Any ideas? All help and answers are appriciated.
Thanks!!!

Replies

• lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    bump..id like to know too
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Only add the calories burned from exercise. If you wear the watch all day it's showing all of your calories burned. We burn calories all day long, even from smiling :) It's good to know how much your body actually burns in a day because everyone is different, but you probably should only really wear it when you exercise. Good luck!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Only log actual exercise cals. Now, you can count the yard work as exercise, but don't log in daily burn - a lot of that is your bmr. Did it come with a chest strap? Even.if it's a touch kind, you need a chest strap for an accurate record. I have a sport line too.
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    It did not come with a chest strap. Just the watch. Can you please tell me what bmr is? Or explain it? I am new to all this and just learning a lot of these meanings.
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    BMR is the calories you burn all day long if you did nothing but stay in bed. I believe this site has a tool to calculate that. Mine come to 1600 calories. We all burn calories even sitting down or laying down so this tells you what it is. If I were you, I would only worry about your exercise calories as far as what you log.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It did not come with a chest strap. Just the watch. Can you please tell me what bmr is? Or explain it? I am new to all this and just learning a lot of these meanings.

If it did not come with a chest strap then you need to return it and buy one that does. The ones that don't have a chest strap are not accurate at all due to the fact that it only gets a heart rate when you touch the watch and is not being continuously fed the heart rate like the one with a chest strap is.

Also, you're not supposed to wear your HRM all day. They are only made for tracking calories when you're heart rate is elevated. If you want one that you wear all day, you need to look into Bodybugg or Body Media Fit.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You can find your BMR here by going to goals, setting it to maintain your current weight and entering 0 exercise -- thats what you burn just being a live laying in bed all day. You can also google "bmr calculator" and find tons of information.

Basically you take that number and subtract 250 to lose 1/2 pound a week or 500 to lose 1 lb a week.
    That gives you the daily net calories you need to eat.

If you exercise and burn 300, you technically should eat 300 more that day but some people don't eat all of their exercise calories back. I try to eat at least half of mine and leave some to make up for miscalculations --- like crazy HRM calorie burns :)

I have tried numerous HRMS and none of them give even near the same results for the same class so I pretty much just took an average of them all and use that -- and then returned them since I don't find them to be very accurate.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

If it did not come with a chest strap then you need to return it and buy one that does. The ones that don't have a chest strap are not accurate at all due to the fact that it only gets a heart rate when you touch the watch and is not being continuously fed the heart rate like the one with a chest strap is.

Also, you're not supposed to wear your HRM all day. They are only made for tracking calories when you're heart rate is elevated. If you want one that you wear all day, you need to look into Bodybugg or Body Media Fit.

The ones without a chest strap work too -- you just have to remember to touch it often during your workout. When I use it in Zumba, I touch it between every song. Believe it or not, this one seems more accurate than the 3 I've bought with a chest strap so who knows!
  • MOMSHOME
    Options
    Well I paid enough for this one so I am going to stick with it for a while and see how it goes. Thank you all so much for the information.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

The ones without a chest strap work too -- you just have to remember to touch it often during your workout. When I use it in Zumba, I touch it between every song. Believe it or not, this one seems more accurate than the 3 I've bought with a chest strap so who knows!

Read this link about HRM's.. This is what I went off when I bought mine, and why I strongly believe that you need a chest strap for accuracy. Also, it depends on what HRM brand you buy.. if you a buy cheap one, the calorie count will be through the roof. I know my Timex was, which is why I returned it and got a Polar.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • MOMSHOME
    Options
    Thank you for the information. and the article. I will read that.