New to MFP, anyone else with autoimmune disease?

Options
Hi,

I am new to fitness pal! i am hoping to get healthier (love to lose weight) but I have several autoimmune disorders (It's a lot like Lupus) and I have problems daily to get exercise and enough calories.

Anyone have ideas on exercising with medical issues?

Thank you and good luck to us all!

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • s_a_ramey
    s_a_ramey Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I have Multiple Sclerosis (since 2002). I have had to learn my limits with exercise but it has not stopped me. Now, I can't go to the middle of a dessert and do Tae Bo or anything but I can go for walks in the evenings when it has cooled down or I can put in a DVD and exercise in the coolness of my home.

Learn your limits and if you need to ask your doctor what he/she would suggest. As long as you can watch your calories you will see the pounds drop.
  • kercherjm
    kercherjm Posts: 1
    Options
    Welcome
    I am 34 years old and have lots of lupus issues and the fatigue is the worst. It makes it really hard to exercise when some days it takes all I have to get my 3 kids off to school and go to work. I have started going to the rec center here. I go from 6-8 pm because then my kids can go swimming while I do that or I walk the lazy river with my 5 year old in a tube so we can have quality time. I am always open to suggestions because the steriods made me gain weight.
  • beliot
    beliot Posts: 5
    Options
    I, when not in a flare up, do dance workout dvds in my house during the day when less people are here. Where I live, the only place to exercise are gyms that require a paying membership and my medical bills took my money! lol

I like exercising at home because I can feel out my limitations without others watching or an instructor trying to push me to stay.
    walking the slow river with your youngest is probably great exercise. they had to start me out with aqua-therapy exercising and walking in a pool.

Hope that helps and welcome!
  • pegglesw
    Options
    Hi, I have autoimmune hypothyroidism and not sure what else. I also have gluten sensitivity. I try not to
    let them get me down , although numbness on right side of body gets totally buggy and the pits to do high
    intensity workouts. Take care everyone!