Is This Bad For Me?

Options
So this has been my strategy for the past month and a half :

I never eat more than 1,000 calories a day
I exercise for 30-40 minutes M/W and for 60 minutes T/TR
I drink only water

So far, I had lost 16 pounds on this plan, but I got on the scale today and it told me I had GAINED two pounds. I actually have been adding an extra hour of exercise for the past week or so, and this has really confused me. But I have been eating a lot more salty foods lately (I love salt more than sugar) Could this be causing me to keep some water weight? Is all the salt bad for me? Please, any advice/comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Eat more.
  • BlueJayMeg
    Options
    You are going to get tons of responses telling you that you should be eating at least 1200 calories a day!
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    You are going to get tons of responses telling you that you should be eating at least 1200 calories a day!

It's not that I starve myself. I am comfortably full with the 1000 calories, I never let myself go hungry. Could my calorie intake really be the problem?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

It's not that I starve myself. I am comfortably full with the 1000 calories, I never let myself go hungry. Could my calorie intake really be the problem?

Yes.
  • BlueJayMeg
    Options
    Not being hungry doesn't mean you are getting enough nutrients. Your body may be holding on to weight now. This is the entire premise of MPF. The intro links might be a good resource for you.
  • lrc7
    lrc7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Just because your full doesn't mean your body is. You still need to eat even if your not hungry keeps your metabolism going
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Yes, it really could. If you don't eat enough, your body gets scared that there isn't food around. It will hold on to fat harder to ensure you have the energy you need to fuel your body if you run out of food.

Most people need at least 1200 calories a day, usually more. Go with the suggestion MFP gives you, it's based on your height, weight, and activity levels. Your body needs fuel and MFP calculates how much. The website is built to help you succeed if you follow the method.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Yes, you are not eating enough.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    eat more.
    =] i work out probably as much as you and eat about twice what you do, and I lose every week.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Eating under/at 1,000 calories is only a good idea(And only works) for the first couple of weeks.
    Now that you are use to exercise, and are getting even more, it's a great idea to bump up to 1,200 or even more to meet your needs.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options

You eat 1000 calories a day and work out every day.

Yes you are definitely not eating enough. You have to take into account how many calories you are burning.

If you are eating 1000 calories a day and burning 30 - 40 minutes worth of calories EVERY day then you are asking your body to function on WAY too few calories and it's probably freaking out and holding on to whatever you feed it.

Just because you don't feel hungry doesn't mean you don't need to eat and fuel your body.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating a minimum of 1200, but the days I work out more than an hour I tend to up mine to closer to 1500 and still lose. Your body is going to hold on to your fat when it's in starvation mode like you have created with your low calorie intake.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    I guess I didn't realize how important the extra calories were. Thanks for the advice everyone! I guess I'll add to my diet and see what happens :smile:
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You need to eat 1200 calories AFTER exercising. Technically you are only eating 400-600 cal a day after excersizing.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's bad for you. Your minimum is 1200 but if you're exercising, you should be eating those back too. I stopped losing at -20 lbs when I stopped eating so many calories... once I increased my calories (because I was working out more) and eating most of my exercise calories back, I started losing again. I've lost 2 weeks in a row eating back my exercise calories.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Women should never go below 1200 and men should never go below 1500 calories or your body will think it is starving, add at least 200 more and be careful with the salty stuff and u should be fine
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE!!!!!!!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    try to make sure it is good calories and not the salty foods that you like!
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    your body goes into starvation mode and starts to hold on to everything it gets. You need to eat more... shananagins is right 1200 calories. You can get your metabolism all screwed up ... I sure did and I regret it. My doc told me if you want to burn a fire you have to add fuel... if you aren't putting enough fuel in your body the fire goes out.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing isn't working and you aren't losing weight (or you're gaining...) then it is time to switch things up some. The first place to start is to eat more. 1000 calories - for most people isn't enough for your body to function properly long term. When we starve our bodies, we may initially lose weight. But, when our bodies catch up with what we're doing - they'll freak out and start holding onto fat stores because it isn't getting enough food each day. Your metabolism will slow way down (which you don't want!). And you'll see a halt to your weight loss or a weight gain.