Long Term Goal Rewards

Options
So I'm setting my long term goals up, so that I can set my subgoals for the weeks/months as they come. I know I have to remain flexible and about the dates, but regardless...when I meet these benchmarks I want to reward myself with NON food rewards. Money isn't overly abundant, although there are some small funds for rewards available.

So what are some reward ideas people have had for themselves?

So far my long term goals look like this for long term (as far as quantity)

Goal General Time Frame

Weight
175 End of August
165 End of October
155 Happy Birthday!!! (mid Jan)
145 Easter 2012

Size

Bra

Benchmarks
Shorts (non capri shorts) w/o shame
Bathingsuit w/o shame
Tank tops w/o arm shame
Bikini w/o shame

Rewears *not in any size order
Favorite limited jeans 6 years ago
Favorite limited dress pants/suits 6 years ago
Cool light brown NYC Shirt 3 years ago
Green plaid tube top (never worn bought for fun)
Black I met hubby in dress 8 years ago
Summer dress worn for rehearsal dinner 6 years ago
Black express pants 3 years ago

Replies

• sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You might find, as you go along, that when you get to those 'rewears' and 'benchmarks', they will be sufficient enough reward.

That said, here are a couple of other suggestions. Since money is tight, a pedicure might be out of the question. BUT, you could go to SEPHORA and buy a REALLY NICE bottle of polish - maybe something you wouldn't normally treat yourself to, or a fun trendy shade. Would probably cost around $7.

Also, if you love coffee or tea, you could buy yourself a really cute mug.

A romantic day trip with your husband. You can pack your lunch and dinner, including a bottle of wine, and go for a scenic drive, stopping at a national park (free).

A shopping spree at Goodwill. You would be AMAZED at what you can find there. Sometimes things with the tags still on. And the first Saturday of the month is 50% off clothing, I think. Check with your local store.

Good luck!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What about clothes? Like maybe something to pair with one of your favorite "rewears" when you get to where you can wear it? One of my favorite "little" NSVs is wearing a skirt that I was too fat to wear for several years. Now every time I put it on it makes me smile!!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    So far I have only set 2 goals for myself, and I recently reached my first goal weight of 175!

I didn't have anything in mind to reward myself at this point, but I have come up with my ultimate end-game goal. I don't have a specific wight attached to it, but I would like to at least get into a healthy BMI range before I allow myself to do my reward. The reward is to take the Zumba Instructor Training, so that I can start teaching classes and hopefully making some extra cash on the weekends/evenings. I think it's a good way to keep myself at my goal, and stay motivated.

Other rewards will be clothes, but that's mostly out of necessity, lol. I cleaned out my closet a few weeks ago, and it's pretty bare bones, lol.

Good luck!
  • heathergettingfit
    Options
    I have a long way to go, but I broke my plan up into six three month increments with a reward at the end of each increment.
    They are as follows:
    Sept '11: A massage
    Dec '11: A nice dress and night out dancing on New Year's
    Mar '12: A facial, mani & pedi (spa day)
    June '12: Flattering swimsuit
    Sept '12: Sassy Fall Outfit (knee boots, cashmere sweater, sassy skirt)
    Nov '12 (goal deadline and 40th birthday): Trip to Vegas to celebrate the milestones!

My husband, who is super supportive, came up with the great idea of putting two dollars in a piggy bank for each pound I lose as a way for us to save up in advance for my rewards.

In addition to setting up weight goals and rewards, I have also decide to set up a fitness goal that I want to accomplish by the end of each increment.
    Sept '11: Hike a 3 mile trail along side a local water fall and gorge.
    Dec ' 11: Learn how to cross country ski.
    Mar '12: Learn to roller blade so I can do this with my husband,
    June '12: Take part in a long distance bike ride.
    Sept '12: Hike Black Mountain Loop in Lake George, NY (7 miles).
    Nov '12: Buy skis, learn how down hill ski, and spend the winter season enjoying the slopes.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I am planning to start buying myself small gift certificates somewhere I want to shop as rewards (Actually I'm gonna get them for the mall so I can use them multiple places) so that when I get to my goal size I can go a little hogwild without ACTUALLY spending all that money on that day.

You could scale that down or up to whatever is appropriate for you by changing the dollar amount.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You might find, as you go along, that when you get to those 'rewears' and 'benchmarks', they will be sufficient enough reward.

That said, here are a couple of other suggestions. Since money is tight, a pedicure might be out of the question. BUT, you could go to SEPHORA and buy a REALLY NICE bottle of polish - maybe something you wouldn't normally treat yourself to, or a fun trendy shade. Would probably cost around $7.

Also, if you love coffee or tea, you could buy yourself a really cute mug.

A romantic day trip with your husband. You can pack your lunch and dinner, including a bottle of wine, and go for a scenic drive, stopping at a national park (free).

A shopping spree at Goodwill. You would be AMAZED at what you can find there. Sometimes things with the tags still on. And the first Saturday of the month is 50% off clothing, I think. Check with your local store.

Good luck!

Hey thanks for the suggestions :) Already do a monthly good will trip for 50% off, our store sometimes does it twice a month :) Wearing my like new $4.00 outfit right now hehe I coupon so nailpolish is generally free, and I don't like the clutter of missmatching mugs. however, love the idea f wine and picknick w/ hubby. We are going for a hike in Payson at the end of the month, but I don't have a goal for that to be so I think that one will be w/o wine...we have to drive a little to get somewhere cool enough to hike this time of year (live in Phoenix). By the time I start actually hitting weight loss goals I think the park and some wine is a wonderful idea. In fact, you just reminded me, sometimes we have local free concerts in the parks and people bring wine and stuff to that :)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    What about clothes? Like maybe something to pair with one of your favorite "rewears" when you get to where you can wear it? One of my favorite "little" NSVs is wearing a skirt that I was too fat to wear for several years. Now every time I put it on it makes me smile!!

I LOVEEEE the iea getting something to pair with the rewears :) I think I'll pair this with the above Goodwill suggestion (which I already do but want to give mucho credit for the idea for anyone else who is reading - such awesome deals there!!!)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    So far I have only set 2 goals for myself, and I recently reached my first goal weight of 175!

I didn't have anything in mind to reward myself at this point, but I have come up with my ultimate end-game goal. I don't have a specific wight attached to it, but I would like to at least get into a healthy BMI range before I allow myself to do my reward. The reward is to take the Zumba Instructor Training, so that I can start teaching classes and hopefully making some extra cash on the weekends/evenings. I think it's a good way to keep myself at my goal, and stay motivated.

Other rewards will be clothes, but that's mostly out of necessity, lol. I cleaned out my closet a few weeks ago, and it's pretty bare bones, lol.

Good luck!

Awesome good for you!! I'm going to my first Zumb class next week and am SOOOOO excited. The extra cash is a great motivator and way to make sure you show up for your work outs :) Is the training expensive? I may consider that after a year or so if I still like it as well, I hear the classes here fill up quick !
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    I have a long way to go, but I broke my plan up into six three month increments with a reward at the end of each increment.
    They are as follows:
    Sept '11: A massage
    Dec '11: A nice dress and night out dancing on New Year's
    Mar '12: A facial, mani & pedi (spa day)
    June '12: Flattering swimsuit
    Sept '12: Sassy Fall Outfit (knee boots, cashmere sweater, sassy skirt)
    Nov '12 (goal deadline and 40th birthday): Trip to Vegas to celebrate the milestones!

My husband, who is super supportive, came up with the great idea of putting two dollars in a piggy bank for each pound I lose as a way for us to save up in advance for my rewards.

In addition to setting up weight goals and rewards, I have also decide to set up a fitness goal that I want to accomplish by the end of each increment.
    Sept '11: Hike a 3 mile trail along side a local water fall and gorge.
    Dec ' 11: Learn how to cross country ski.
    Mar '12: Learn to roller blade so I can do this with my husband,
    June '12: Take part in a long distance bike ride.
    Sept '12: Hike Black Mountain Loop in Lake George, NY (7 miles).
    Nov '12: Buy skis, learn how down hill ski, and spend the winter season enjoying the slopes.

My husband loves your Vegas idea! And now we're close enough to drive there. They have great deals in the summer when it's hot..we're talking like $50 a night at a nice hotel on the strip or $150 for some of the 5stars on the strip. He loves the idea of putting me in a sexy dress and going out there :)

You're right about the fall outfit too...because my calves got too big for a lot of the fall boots I like, It'll be great to wear those again! I can buy the 'wide' ones when I can find them...but usually those aren't as cute.

I really like the idea of making FUN fitness goals....I'm not all that much for the mundane exercize. And you'll LOVE skiing, it was my favorite sport before becoming financially prohibitive. If I could ski again, that would be enough motiviation to get in shape all in itself!!! I also like to hike :)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    I am planning to start buying myself small gift certificates somewhere I want to shop as rewards (Actually I'm gonna get them for the mall so I can use them multiple places) so that when I get to my goal size I can go a little hogwild without ACTUALLY spending all that money on that day.

You could scale that down or up to whatever is appropriate for you by changing the dollar amount.

I like how this goes w/ the idea of saving as you go above (like putting 2 dollars a pound in a jar) so you don't get hit with the financial reprecaussions of a reward so hard....and then get depressed over the money...and then eat lol

Good planning!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Awesome good for you!! I'm going to my first Zumb class next week and am SOOOOO excited. The extra cash is a great motivator and way to make sure you show up for your work outs :) Is the training expensive? I may consider that after a year or so if I still like it as well, I hear the classes here fill up quick !
    [/quote]

OMG, you are going to looooove it!
    The training is a little over $200, for a 7 or 8 hour day of instruction, plus you get cds/dvds with the music and some sample dances to get started with. I think it will be totally worth it. I love going to my classes on Tuesday and Thursday, my instructors both rock, and the classes pretty much are always full!