Should you push through if ...

Options
... your entire body hurts and you can't walk comfortably? I killed The Biggest Loser Cardio Max last night and the pain has consistently gotten worse and worse today. Specifically, my legs, butt and sides are in misery.

Should I tough it out and do it again tonight, or could I risk an injury? :sad:

Replies

• j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for you, only you know how you feel, but there is a big difference between pain from exercise and pain from injury. When I started Jillian's 30 Day Shred, I was SORE for 3 days! I couldn't walk normaly, sitting down to... well, you know... just killed me every time, but I pushed through the pain. By day 4 it was pretty much gone and now after day 10 i feel great.
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked. I have the very same question. When is sore too sore to workout? My thighs are sore enough that I have trouble squatting down to the floor and getting back up. Any advice is appreciated.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If I can't do normal things (like walk, sit down or whatever) then I give myself the day off. I've been through a stress fracture in my hip from trying to "push through the pain", so I've changed my stand on doing that. Last week I did hack squat machine, leg press and a machine that works your calves. I couldn't walk right for 3 days and was in pain for 5. I didn't do ANY other workout until it felt better.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    At least go for a short walk. It's counter-intuitive, but more movement actually helps with soreness. Walk, hot bath or shower, bed. That's what I'd do.
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Generally, if your body is in that much pain it probably needs recoop time. Go for a walk, or hop on an elliptical if you have access to one-- something low intesnsity. It will get your heart rate up and not kill your muscles. You don't want to tear something. Eventually, it won't hurt as badly and you will be able to do it everyday. That's just my two sense though. I am in no means an expert.
  • momofcole
    momofcole Posts: 18
    Options
    If it's just major muscle soreness, push through it- you'll feel better after. If you suspect an acual injury, though, rest!
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cardio Max is one of my favorite workouts. I totally get what you are saying about the soreness though. I have found that if I push through the soreness it gets better. If I "wait it out", I get just as sore the next time I do the workout.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i would. it might make you feel less sore =P
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i toughed it out and did it again the next day and i am glad i did. I just finished the 2nd week today and I am not near as sore
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    At least go for a short walk. It's counter-intuitive, but more movement actually helps with soreness. Walk, hot bath or shower, bed. That's what I'd do.
    I'd second this. And as much as I am *NOT* an advocate for medication - a couple of ibuprofen can work wonders.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    All of you are THE BEST!

I'm going to attempt it but do the modified versions of some of the moves and not feel bad about it. :) We'll see how things feel tomorrow!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    If it's just major muscle soreness, push through it- you'll feel better after. If you suspect an acual injury, though, rest!

This is correct. Increasing blood flow to the muscles will help with the soreness. If it's an injury...rest it.
    After my 1st workout doing Legs & Back from P90X I could barely walk. I went to sit on the toilet and it hurt
    my thighs so bad to slowly lower myself and I just dropped. Of course that hurt my sore butt muscles. I
    couldn't win. I just pushed thru it and the end of the next week all was good. Stopping will just put off the
    inevitable.
  • tifffanyD
    tifffanyD Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you can, I would try some yoga/pilates... something with lots of stretching. That always helped me when I was super sore.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had to come back and post tonight! I went for a short, brisk jog through the neighborhood and returned home and worked through Cardio Max. The time FLEW by and it was MUCH easier than the first day.

Thanks for the advice on big muscle soreness ... that makes a lot of sense. I was a dedicated runner in the past, so I should know when I can push through and when I can't, but when you add a 100 pounds on your old body things don't work the way they used to!

Side note: I did two of the cool downs which are focused on yoga poses, and I feel 100 times better.

Thank you again for all of your support. At the end of the day, it's all about trusting and knowing your body.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Soreness is nothing. If you feel pain (sharp pain that can be the result of an injury), don't push through. If it's just intense soreness (trust me -- the first week of any new body conditioning program you WILL be REALLY sore) then push through. Get some icy hot, eat more lean protein to help your body recover faster, and drink lots of water.