someone has to care :(

Options
Okay, so I have been working on losing weight since December, my new year's resolution as alot of peoples was to lose this weight that I am tired of carrying around. So I lost 20lbs and basically started to lose motivation and started slacking again...I went from doing Zumba and walking 3miles a day and doing Jillian Micheals 30 day challenge to sitting on my butt and maybe doing a few crunches every now and then and calling it a day when deep down I know I need to do this to make myself feel better, and to make me more confident and not so harsh and critical on myself. I also was accepted into nursing school this summer so since May my life has pretty much been devoted to studying, and of course nursing school requires tons of study hours and I feel like I have no energy because my class and assignments and reading are draining me so much! I currently weigh about 185 and am 5'6" so obviously this isn't a healthy weight for me. I have looked at my recommended weight and it says about 145 so that is what I am aiming for but I have a LONG ways to go:( and I hate to say this but not very many of my mfp friends I have so far have been helpful in motivating me so I am hoping by posting this someone out there will be able to give me some helpful advice and push me forward so I can get out of this rut I seem to have myself stuck in!

Replies

• grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You've done well so far by losing 20 pounds!!
    Have you tried figuring out a schedule for yourself? It may really help to have one with all the studying you will need to be doing..and you can schedule your workout time in there as well. If your exercising regularily you will find you have more energy and that will definately help with your long study hours!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post - make a schedule/routine for yourself. This way you know what you're doing each and everyday.

Once you get into a routine, it'll become like second nature and you won't feel like you are running around crazy.

If you know you're going to have to study a lot - then try and get up 30 mins early and find a workout dvd that fits into that 30 mins or join a 24/7 gym so you can go whenever you want to go vs during set hours.

You can do this! You really can! You've lost 20lbs so you know how to be successful at it! Congrats on nursing school and those 20lbs! Now. Let's keep going and lose the rest! :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    As I started this site, I started my semester. It was rough! I made sure to schedule times to do my workout, like grover0ca mentioned. That really helped me. It also helped me wind down and really focus on studying after the workout. I did a 2 or 4 mile jog, or a fitness dvd. On my days off I would go to the gym and lift weights for 45 mins. It was tough because I work 40hrs a week and had 14 credits going. I was at school on my days off of work, and doing homework at all times of the day, it felt. Eventually I was able to sneak in an extra day off, so that I could have one day every 2 weeks where I had no school or work. Those were such glorious days!

Keep at it :) It is so tough, but so so so worth it!
  • TiffyCooper
    Options
    Is it possible for you to get your school books as audio files and listen to them? That might help you get into a groove of working out.since you won't have to sit and and study. Just a thought I had.
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can add me, I love watching peoples progress and helping motivate them, but forewarned I may chew your butt a little! Good job on your progress so far, you apparently are already moving in the right direction!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student too. I started last August weighing 242lbs, I'm now down to 174. YOU CAN DO IT!

I only work out 30 min a day (5-6 days a week) I don't have time for more, to add on to school I have a 4.5 year old son and a husband, plus work part time.

I read on the elliptical machine on days I do that and then I'm running on other days. Make a schedule just like you do for school and include work out time on it.

If you want to add me feel free, make sure you put a note about where you found me (LOL) or I'll ignore ya. I have other friends here who are also nursing students so we can do it together!!
  • CathyKat
    CathyKat Posts: 12
    Options
    i will keep in my thoughts hope you get out the rut your in im in the same rut your in only im in it with weight wise im higher than you i used to smoke thats why i weigh 263 because it caused me to go so high in my weight i stopped smoking aug 30th 2003 aug 30th of this year be 8 or 9 yrs since i stopped smoking . I hope that anyone out there struggling with what i went through in smoking isnt easy . i know what your going isnt easy .you can add me as friend here if we arent :)have a lovely day
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't the type of answer you were looking for, but there are studies showing that, from a purely weight loss point of view, exercise is completely overrated. How much of a calorie deficit you create is the key, and exercise is not, therefore compulsory. If you feel you don't have time now, just stay within your calories so that, when you do have time again,you'll be lighter than you were and perhaps find it a little easier to get moving.

That said, if you want to feel you're exercising, why not try the 100 push-ups club, or similar? It takes up minimal time, but encourages a routine whilst building up muscles that help you to burn fat.

Another thought, is there anyone you can exercise with? Maybe someone on your course? If it becomes a joint obligation both of you are less likely to quit.

Good luck, and keep going!
  • angelofmusic1
    Options
    I agree about the calorie deficit being the key thing (in my non-expert opinion) but that approach really doesn't tone anything. You will feel so much better if exercise is added in. I'm working part-time and studying and have a large family. The exercise routine was fantastic until the job ... now it is so much harder to get my exercise in. I am making sure I exercise well at least every second day but I do notice the difference in how good I felt when I did it every day and what I do now. The weight also comes off faster with exercise. It's not the be all and end all but it's a good thing to do for the toning and energy levels if nothing else (in my experience). Feel free to add me as a friend OP.