Slimming World - feedback wanted - does it work?

Options
Hi.

I am having a mind bending morning trying to decide what eating plan I can do to help me shift a few pounds. I tried calorie counting for 4-5weeks with no success and it was sooooo hard figuring out what my calorie intake should be. Confused.com! :indifferent:

I've been on the new Weight Watchers pro points system for a month and again only 1-2lb loss overall. Not so keen on the new pro points system as it seems very low carb & high protein and I am struggling with it - feeling hungry & having terrible cravings. I did so well on the old points system 8yrs ago to lose baby weight (I lost 21lbs in 3months) but WW have just re-vamped everything and I think I need to admit its not for me this time. :frown:

I only have about 7-10lbs to lose but I do not want to do a fad diet like Slim Fast or the cereal diets. I want a plan that involves me eating real food............. fruit, veg, meat & pasta/potatoes/rive etc as this is what I would normally eat if just maintaining weight.

Has anyone had success with Slimming World? Is it easy to follow?

I cannot get out to meetings so would have to join online but don't want to pay for another system without hearing some opinions from real people not what the website says.

Just looking for feedback guys. Any suggestions would be greatly received.

:bigsmile:

Replies

• bluey1980
    bluey1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi

I did SW a couple of years ago - in fact I've done it a few times - and I lost 2 and a half stone ( 35lbs) really easily and
    I never felt hungry or deprived, and I felt I was eating healthily. My only problem with it is that it doesn't teach you about portion control and that something I really struggle with and I ended up outing the weight back on

So I'm here to learn a better way

HTH
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've a friend doing SW and she has consistently lost 1lb per week the past 10 weeks but she is doing everything by the book... So I'd say yes it does work! In fact I suppose it's like anything always works once you put your mind to it and stay true xx good luck!!
  • 44longcopse
    44longcopse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have tried slimming world and WW but have found that inputting all my foods in here by far the best way as you learn about portion control and it is normal eating and not faddy diets. When I first signed up it worked out for me what calories I should be having in order to loose about 1lb a week taking into consideration my metobolic rate. It also calculates how many extra calories I could have when I input all my exercise. I feel so much more in control doing this than I ever did doing any other diet or slimming group. Hope this helps. xx
  • stred321
    stred321 Posts: 48
    Options
    My younger sister had a baby in March- and gained nearly three stone! She started Slimming World in June and has lost just over stone! She says having the cookbook really helps but she has a chinese takeaway once a week, and isnt one to deprive herself !!

She is 5'6 and usually weighs around 10 stone but is currently 11.

After her success I used it to break my plateau ( i am 5'8 and was stuck at 9 stone 10) I lost 6lbs in a couple of weeks!!

I also have numerous friends who have had great success on it so i hope this helps.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    It worked VERY slowly for me (less than a stone a year), and then when I started long distance walking and hill climbing, I actually gained half a stone over 5 moths - but in the 38 months I was on SW, I can honestly say, hand on heart, I was 100% on plan every day.

I've lost a stone in 10 weeks using MFP. Says it all.

Not sure why you had trouble working out your calories? MFP does all that for you?
  • dotjay
    dotjay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience to the others about with SW. I lost 3 stone (42 lbs) over about 9 months, and continued to lose a bit more towards my healthy weight, but I wasn't exercising enough, and was still eating large portions to fill me up. I started eating some things I'd given up rather than sticking to the diet, and over the next year or so, I put all the weight back on. SW is *great* but I'm doing just as well now I'm exercising more, and have the information I need from my MFP diary where I can watch my calories and saturated fats.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think you should try going back to calorie counting and you can always incorporate the slimming world theorys into your calorie intake, do the red and green days, still log everything and try to stay within your calorie goals.

Just let mfp work out your calories for 1lb a week loss, try to log all your exercise for the week and maybe try doing some strength training to help you.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I did slimming world almost to the letter, a bit less dairy that advised. I lost 1 1/2 stone in a couple of months. I never felt hungry but i got bored with bland foods, I have the problem on anything though i guess i'm used to the flavour of fat in food. Reduce the fat and i find food bland. The biggest problem is that you can eat a big amount of food so when you go back to normal eating you gain it back. A bucket of pasta and veg on a green day or a bucket of meat on a red day is fine on sw but after when you want to eat normal a bucket of pasta and veg with a bucket of meat isn't going to work is it?
  • coxy1968
    coxy1968 Posts: 77
    Options
    I love Sliiming World but it doesnt suit me at all, in 10 months i lost only 10lb and i was sticking to it and following the plan correctly.

Its just way to much food to eat as their theory is the more free food you eat the better..! but when i started this calorie counting and watching portion sizes i realised i must have been having 3-4000 calories daily so no wonder i wasnt losing the weight.

I lost 21lb in 3 months since i stared calorie counting and MFP.
  • CamilleBates
    Options
    Yes it works, if you stick to the plan. I lost 38lbs in just under 4 months on it. I had some off days, and nights outs etc in that time and never gained weight once while on it. I stayed the same one week, and lost every other week. It's a great plan as long as you follow it correctly. With the Extra easy plan it teaches you how to eat for life, I reached target at the end of April last year, I'm still roughly there now (I had a month of going totally nuts and gained half a stone!!! Oops!)
  • Ruby53
    Ruby53 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi andyandcam

I am doing SW on my own at home at the moment, and it is very slow, when you did it did you log it on here? or did you go to a class, i have tried to log it on here but it goes weigh off my calorie intake?

Would love to know

Ruby