D.O.M.S (Delayed onset muscle soreness... ) :(((

Options
Ok, so after a very tough work out, doing , and learning new techniques and such, I CAN'T WALK lmao. I've done everything from Icy Hot on my legs, to taking a hot bath with epsom salt, and I even took an ice bath after my work out.... but still I feel like death....

I was wondering... do any of you have any tips or techniques for soothing or speeding up the muscle recovery process??

Thanks a bunch!!!

-Michelle

Replies

• farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    stretches and keep moving
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I take Glutomine powder. One tsp before you work out and one tsp after you work out. It is for speedy muscle recovery and a healthy immune system. It really helps me through the transitioning period when I change my routine.
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I take Glutomine powder. One tsp before you work out and one tsp after you work out. It is for speedy muscle recovery and a healthy immune system. It really helps me through the transitioning period when I change my routine.

how does it taste?? do you mix it with water ??
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    LOTS of water, stretching, get a massage if you can. sometimes if your sodium is high it takes a bit longer to recover. I feel your pain though, I went bowling with my hubby the other night and haven't done that in a few years..MY left "cheek" and right arm are feelin it!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    lol time my lovley x
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options

how does it taste?? do you mix it with water ??

It is tasteless. Yes I usually use drink mix with water. Mix about 1/3 of a cup and drink it that way. I have also mixed it with my soy protein before.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I did different exercise to normal on Tuesday and was a touch stiff on Wednesday. And in frigging agony on Thursday! Just a wee twinge there today....!
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My calfs are killing me! This morning my fiance tells me to go to the kitchen and take a pill labeled potassium glutomine.. I took the pill and nothing... My legs still feel like someone wacked my calfs with a tire iron!
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mine is similar I'm afraid....lots of stretching and fluids......hope you're feeling less sore soon!! Vx
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    DOMS can pretty much be because of three things (in layman's terms):

1. Muscle tissue damage from working your muscles in ways they aren't used to
    2. Inflammation from strenuous activity
    3. Lack of protein

Unfortunately there's no real scientific research on how to treat it but a few things you can try are:

1. Stretching or yoga (This has worked for me before.)
    2. Eat foods high in protein today to feed your muscles.. meat, dairy (milk, yogurt, etc), walnuts / almonds, a protein bar, etc. You should eat foods high in protein after any strenuous activity on your muscles, to avoid getting sore later on. Your muscles are looking for nutrients and what you're feeling may be them eating at the tissue.
    3. Give your muscles the proper rest they need. Don't know what you're sleep pattern is like but try to get at least 7 - 8 hrs of sleep the night after a hard workout. Or take a nap during the day if your schedule allows.
    4. Sauna or a hot bath
    5. Go get a massage :tongue:

I feel your pain.. I've been in the same boat before. Try the things i listed above and then just wait it out. Don't worry, you said you learned new techniques. As soon as your muscles get used to being worked like that, you'll stop getting sore and the DOMS will eventually go away.