Food inc movie

Options
wadesha
wadesha Posts: 360 Member
Has anyone seen the movie Food Inc.? I saw it a while back and never ate meat again and was terrified of Mcdonalds and other fast food restaurants. If you have seen it would did you think about it? If not you should....

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have watched it. We only buy grass fed (local if possible) organic/natural meats. It's really an eyeopener, huh?
  • wadesha
    Options
    yes it is I have never looked at chicken the same :/
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've seen it--love the guy from Polyface Farms! We still eat meat, but we were already eating cage-free/organic and grass-fed. We're likely going in on a whole grass-fed/no abx/hormones cow this fall with a group of friends. There was a time when I did fast food 2-3 times a week. Now? It's been weeks, and it's likely to never be a big part of my life again.

Food Inc. was an excellent documentary. I really enjoyed it, and so did our 13 year old, who is now checking labels and figuring out where his food is coming from.

Kris
  • wadesha
    Options
    I've seen it--love the guy from Polyface Farms! We still eat meat, but we were already eating cage-free/organic and grass-fed. We're likely going in on a whole grass-fed/no abx/hormones cow this fall with a group of friends. There was a time when I did fast food 2-3 times a week. Now? It's been weeks, and it's likely to never be a big part of my life again.

Food Inc. was an excellent documentary. I really enjoyed it, and so did our 13 year old, who is now checking labels and figuring out where his food is coming from.

Kris

we would pick up organic meat from time to time but i have to be sure of where its coming from now because a 40 day grown chicken is not natural at all. People are coming up with all these health problems like cancer and its from the food we eat. Makes me think of " You are what you eat."
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    If shop at place that takes their organic, locally grown, free range, etc. seriously they should have that info available. I personally, don't buy the O brand from Safeway because of the lack of transparency. Whereas I can go to Whole Foods and see exactly what farm everything comes from and how it was grown, raised etc. For instance most of the meat in my local store comes from farms within 40 mile radius. I have visited some of these farms and/or seen their websites. I do not have to guess that the cows and chickens are free ranging, etc. because I can dive over and see it.

I don't whether Food Inc. covers this but all of the antibiotics that factory farms pump their cows, pigs and chickens with are one of the reasons why so many viruses and bacterias have become immune to so many antibiotics. That and people that go to their doctor any time they get the sniffles.

Meat raised the way it used to be pre-WWII costs more but it is the way it should be done.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    i've seen that, along with Food Matters and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix. It's all about making changes in our eating habits and where we get our food.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i saw it, and i've been trying to eat as much organic food as possible now. especially meat and chicken!!

you should check out Fast Food Nation, too. it's not a documentary, so it's a little more "fun" to watch cuz there's a decent plot and characters =) i'll NEVER eat fast food again!!!
  • megankayden
    megankayden Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fat Head is the last movie I watched, it made me change the way I eat carbs!!! Both are pretty scary movies.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    There all good docs but the one that is bunk is "Super Sized". It was clear from the start that was purely a stunt to sell a sensationalized story.

I can across a very good 25 min. program on YouTube. It's episode of fault lines specifically on the issue of fast food, food policy as well as how it specifically impacts low income neighborhoods. Ironic that this a program on the U.S. version Aljazerra. It's sad when Aljazerra does more reporting than our actually U.S. Media does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slwgXXVXM3I&feature=player_embedded
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Our family farm raises all natural hormone, antibiotic, and steroid free beef and eggs. Not every farm is like those large scale feedlots. We love ti have our customers come out and tour our farm we are proud of our little operation. Basically if you can't see where your food is grown or raised, and you can't talk to and shake hands with the people that are producing it you are taking a lot of risks.

Search out your local farmers and support small scale local ag. It's vital to your health and to our country that the little guys make it!
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Our family farm raises all natural hormone, antibiotic, and steroid free beef and eggs. Not every farm is like those large scale feedlots. We love ti have our customers come out and tour our farm we are proud of our little operation. Basically if you can't see where your food is grown or raised, and you can't talk to and shake hands with the people that are producing it you are taking a lot of risks.

Search out your local farmers and support small scale local ag. It's vital to your health and to our country that the little guys make it!

That's what we do. There's a lovely little farm just a few miles away where we get our eggs and chickens. They raise rare chickens for their eggs, so our eggs are blue, green, grey, brown--a rainbow!

We may be moving, and we've already been checking out the local farms and markets in the new areas. Not everything we buy is organic or "good," but more and more we take care to know where things come from and what's gone into them. We used to live not too far from some of the huge livestock operations in SoCal, and boy, if that doesn't put the fear of disease and animal cruelty into you!

Kris
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Kris

Polyface Farm is really close to my house. I buy a lot of meat and eggs from them. :-)
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Kris

Polyface Farm is really close to my house. I buy a lot of meat and eggs from them. :-)

I understand they deliver to various DC area towns? We're looking into that :-)

Kris
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I freaked out after I saw the chickens!!! I went down to Goosberries to buy the natural, cage free chickens.... WoW!!!! 1 chicken for $20.00!!! No Way!!!!!! Just can't do it! So, I have no choice but the sickly, crippled, antibiotic full chickens! Sad, but we eat a TON of chicken!
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I freaked out after I saw the chickens!!! I went down to Goosberries to buy the natural, cage free chickens.... WoW!!!! 1 chicken for $20.00!!! No Way!!!!!! Just can't do it! So, I have no choice but the sickly, crippled, antibiotic full chickens! Sad, but we eat a TON of chicken!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I understand they deliver to various DC area towns? We're looking into that :-)

Kris

They do! They have a 'buyers club' with drop spots in a few NoVa locations.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    The problem is that sometimes your fruits and veggies don't come from any better a place. I think it's more about taking an active role in knowing where your food is coming from rather than giving it up because some people are doing it wrong. I gave up meat for completely different reasons, but I do my best to pay attention to where my fruits and veggies are coming from. As a farmer's daughter, it's kind of second nature, anyway. I've seen firsthand how some farmers (even local ones) are more interested in profits than quality, and I've also seen how sometimes the farmers who try to do it right get screwed because the media starts crying wolf.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'd look around some more. You can buy them around herevfor lessmthan half that price.
  • kym215
    kym215 Posts: 4
    Options
    I can't afford organic free range, grass fed, etc. I still eat meat and poultry because I believe if that's what humans evolved on then it's good enough for me. However, the movie was quite disturbing. I believe all the food we eat should be treated with care and respect, just like we should respect each other. Humans still have a long way to go.
  • healthychelsea
    Options
    YES! I met the food investigator who wrote the book that inspired the movie (The guy that orders the hamburger at the diner in the beginning of the movie) he came to my college and showed the movie in our theater (which by then I had already saw anyhow, but went anyway so I could ask the question if the woman in the movie who lost her son after he ate meat containing that bacteria, EVER got justice..sadly, she did not :( )

BUT I am a vegetarian already but after watching that movie learned, that is only one thing to worry about. Now, I TRY to only eat organic food. TRY, it can be hard/expensive.. but instead regular corn syrup loaded cereal bars, I will buy organic ones or even just Kashi ones because they don't contain corn syrup. Great movie, but can really make a person with OCD a little crazy. (me.)