I need help :)

Options
amartine
amartine Posts: 125
Ok, I know nothing about cooking any kind of meat (I'm not a big meat eater, that's probably why). But I like chicken to an extent. Can anyone give me some pointers in how to bake chicken? I hear that's the healthiest way to cook it. Can I use frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Do I thaw them first? What kind of seasonings should I use? I need step-by-step directions haha, because I've never done this before. Thanks so much!

Replies

• amartine
    amartine Posts: 125
    Options
    Ok, I know nothing about cooking any kind of meat (I'm not a big meat eater, that's probably why). But I like chicken to an extent. Can anyone give me some pointers in how to bake chicken? I hear that's the healthiest way to cook it. Can I use frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts? Do I thaw them first? What kind of seasonings should I use? I need step-by-step directions haha, because I've never done this before. Thanks so much!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen chicken breasts, throw them on a pan (try spraying it with Pam so that the pan doesn't get everything stuck to it) and bake for 50 minutes. Because they're frozen when they go in, about half way through cooking (after about 20 minutes) I'll throw some lemon pepper or italian seasoning on them.

:flowerforyou:
  • prez_beck
    Options
    Hi Amartine - you should thaw your boneless skinless chicken breast first...it doesnt take long to do. The seasoning depends on the type of taste you want... they have pre-made marinade that you can use to put on your chicken. here is something quick and easy for you... 1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
    3 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. lemon juice , 4 chicken breasts

Combine teriyaki sauce, sugar, and lemon juice. Pour it over the chicken breast. let it chill and then Bake or grill your chicken.

:smile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My opinion....
    If you are interested in cooking more chicken and want variety...you may wish to invest in a good cook book (I like the ones with pictures). They have some that are specific for types of foods (chicken, beef, meatless, etc).

Look for step-by-step direction books if you need to. Most, if written well, will have that in them though.
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    there is SO MUCH you can do with chicken, here are some easy ideas (i cook mine thawed, and i always use boneless, skinless)

these usually work for 2 serving sizes, and you can either grill them or pan fry them

marinate in 1/4 cup no sugar added peach preserves, and add a packet or 2 of splenda and pepper
    (you can also use other preserves, orange is really yummy, raspberry, pineapple..... be creative :wink:

1/4 cup pineapple salsa with, a packet or 2 splenda and a splash of hickory liquid smoke (this one is always a BIG hit in my house)

cut chicken up in chunks, put in a pan, fill pan about 1/2 inch of lemon juice, add a little bit of light butter and sprinkle with fresh basil, and let simmer....... this one is also REALLY good.

i also keep my cupbaords stocked with premixed seasonings, like ms. dash, for those nites i really don;t feel like cooking, i just sprinkle a little ms dash and spray a pan with olive oil spray and cook 'em till there done.

i just thought of another easy one......... in a pan a little bit of olive oil, minced garlic and cooking wine, cook until chicken is brownish, not burnt but the sauce will turn brown.
  • wynsdayschild
    Options
    I made a really simple and quick chicken curry the other night with a little dijon mustard (2 Tbsp.for 1 lb. chicken breast) and curry powder and a little light mayo.

Another of my favorites it chicken tacos. You can buy the taco seasoning at the store or do it yourself. Some chili powder, paprica, cumin, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper should do it.

Chicken it easy and versatile. Once you start experimenting you should get the hang of it.:smile: