Frustrated - you've heard it before

Homewks
Homewks Posts: 2
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

I'd be grateful for some shared wisdom. It's been over a month now since I've lost any new weight. I keep losing and gaining the same 3 pounds over and over. When I started at MFP, the settings gave me 1200 calories (I'm 5'8", 154 lbs, 51 years old, female) and at first, I lost well with those settings and felt AWFUL. When I first stopped losing, I read on the forums that I needed to eat back exercise calories (currently about 375, five times a week for a one hour fast walk). That was huge - I still didn't lose, but felt so much better and had more energy that I was delighted.

Later I read that I had my goal set too low (1 Lb. per week) so I changed it, upping the calories again. Again, I felt better and enjoy the extra calories, but no weight loss. I've added a soy protein shake as a meal replacement a few days a week to kick things up, but no results. I've played around with length and intensity of exercise, but I can't see that it translates into weight loss.

And before you say it - I am measuring and I'm not losing inches, either. The Doc says that losing 10 more lbs. would be a good thing, but I'm not sure how to get there from here. I'd be grateful for advice.

Replies

• kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    I know you said you played with the length and intensity of your exercise but have you tried switching up your exercise totally? If you always walk/jog try doing a little bit of weights instead mixed with jumping jacks or something for cardio. Just do a totally different exercise. Also, make sure you aren't eating the same foods everyday bc although they may keep you in your calorie range the same foods everyday aren't going to give you all the different nutrients your body needs.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    I personally would check with your doctor - maybe you are not eating enough calories. 1200 calories is the absolute minimum that anybody should eat but that does not mean that it is "your" minimum. Your body may require a higher number of calories. If you are not eating enough calories your body will go into starvtion mode and store anything you eat as fat - meaning that while you may not necessarly gain weight you will definately not lose weight. Good luck :)
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    I took a peak at your food diary and saw a lot of cookies and other snack items that might keep you within your calories but aren't giving you much nutrition in return. Also your fat has been a little high.

I know I didn't lose when eating all my exercise calories. I'm trying a slight zig-zag approach - only eating exercise calories on the weekend. Haven't been at it but a week so I don't know if it will work but thought I'd throw it out there.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Clean up your diet. You eat way too much junk. Track your sugars. Sugar in your system causes you body to create insulin which promotes fat storage. At 1st just staying within your caloire goal will yield weight loss but after a while you need to get strict in order to keep losing. I not saying you can't have a treat now and then but not as much as you do everyday. I only went back a week in your diary but it's not good. Sorry to be so blunt but you did ask for help.
  • The only thing I want to ask is are you drinking enough water. I consider the 8 cups a day a minimum you may want to try adding a couple more cups of water. It really does help rid you of the burnt food.
This discussion has been closed.