Back Problems and Exercise Routine

lil_missfit
lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I have lost 31 pounds using MFP. I have been doing the Crossramp, Elliptical, Jogging and Biking. My workouts usually last anywhere between 60-90 minutes of high intensity. I injured my back in college and before then always seemed to have back pain. Three weeks ago after a jog my back has started up again, only this time its not going away. It seems when I work out it gets worse. The pain is intense and I am in pain all day. It hurts to stand long periods of time, lay down, and sit. I plan to see a doctor next week. In the mean time, I have reduced my workout time and intensity. I am putting off jogging for a while. What other exercises can I do. I am 17 lbs away from having a normal body weight and 24 lbs away from my goal weight. I have come too close to let this stop me. What are some alternative exercises that I can do that will produce results. Any suggestions would be great!!! Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    I have back problems from two car accidents and lately exercise has helped me, though sometimes it does hurt. One of the things that did help me was taking a few minutes out to do stretches between different exercises and making sure if I work out my abs I work out my back. Have you tried maybe doing resistance or just more fast paced walking. Try taking a break from an elliptical also make sure you watch your posture etc when your on the machines that can help too. Form is important.
  • Just as you are I have back pains. I don't where exactly your pain is located but I have a lower back pains and here is what's working for me. Most important, stretch before and after workout, I mean bend like a pretzel, I'm pretty flexible. Also, on the days of shooting pain I only do elliptical, nothing intense though. Also, swimming helps a great deal. You can google "swimming drills" and these are typical warm up exercises for competitive swimmers, that alone does wanders since it's working your core muscles and I guess that's where some of the back problems start, weak core. Hope it helps and best of luck on your remaining goal!
  • Have had 3 back surgeries in 15 months and my dr. said walking, or water exercise and I have a appointment with a trainer at the Y that will show me what I can do.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Thanks!!! I haven't done fast pace walking. I will do that and swim as well. Part of my problem was that I was barely stretching if at all. I have made it a point to do that now and do it longer. It has helped but the pain is still there. Thanks to you both:))
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    My back muscle was torn when I got hit from behind by a 44 ton truck aswell as a wrecked neck. I found that when I took up running again, my back muscle couldn't take the impact and everytime my right foot landed on the floor my muscle would get tighter and tighter until it eventually went in to a spasm. Im sure everyone who's got back problems on this page doesn't need telling how painful one of those is. so I started doing lower impact stuff like cycling, karate. Some days theres no getting away from back pain, so what i usually do is dose myself up on strong painkillers 45 mins before a workoput even if my backs not hurting. And that seems to help
This discussion has been closed.