What weighs more?????

Options
Just want to pose this question to you all.
Which weighs more........
1 lb of fat?
1 ld of muscle?

Neither! They are equal. A pound is a pound.
There is definitely a difference in appearance of both but weight is weight.

Sorry... just tired of seeing people write that muscle weighs more than fat.

Check this out
http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Well..
    Yeah, a lb is a lb. But 1 lb of fat is more volume than 1 lb of muscle.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What weighs more? A cup of fat or a cup of muscle?

When comparing the weights of two substances, do you first weigh out a pound of each and then compare them, or take equal volumes and compare them? The first would be pointless, don't you think?
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weight more than fat. If you were to measure equal volumes of muscle and fat, the muscle would weigh more.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    So lead doesn't weigh more than feathers? I mean, a pound of lead and a pound of feathers weigh the same, right?
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    a lb is a lb a lb is a lb... a lb is a lb... but a cup of fat and a cup of muscle do NOT weigh the same....
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Nice message, thank you!
    a pound is a pound.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You are totally correct.

Although we are phrasing it wrong, we mean that if you had the same volume, the muscle would weigh more.
  • Heather75
    Options
    By the way, I NEVER get tired of this discussion. You have made me so happy!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound, period. Muscle is more DENSE than fat so it takes up less space. Therefore, the more muscle you have, the smaller you look.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    By the way, I NEVER get tired of this discussion. You have made me so happy!

Amen.

Who the hell says 'What weighs more? Well let me grab 1lb of this, and 1lb of that...and compare!!'

You have to have an equal volume when comparing weight is the goal. How hard is that to figure out?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been guilty of expecting too much of people, but I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to really believe that one pound of muscle weighs more than one pound of fat. That's not what anyone means when they say that. They're talking about volume.

A 16oz glass of water weighs less than a 16oz glass of Mercury. A 16oz glass of Mercury would weigh about 11.5 pounds.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    1 lb of fat?
    1 ld of muscle?

Check this out
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx

I always love this discussion. . .lol especially as a studying trainer/nutritionist!
    I have a picture in my album of muscle versus fat tried to post it, but don't know how to post a pic here. .. .Yes. .. that same pound of muscle is denser and takes up less space! It is as simple as that!
  • Heather75
    Options
    No. Everything weighs the same.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    1 lb of fat?
    1 ld of muscle?

Check this out

I always love this discussion. . .lol especially as a studying trainer/nutritionist!
    I have a picture in my album of muscle versus fat tried to post it, but don't know how to post a pic here. .. .Yes. .. that same pound of muscle is denser and takes up less space! It is as simple as that!

Here you go Jade:

3923333_2065.jpg

The thing is, they know this...but they insist on comparing weight by...using the same weight.

It's senseless.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    1 lb of fat?
    1 ld of muscle?

Check this out

Here you go Jade:

3923333_2065.jpg

The thing is, they know this...but they insist on comparing weight by...using the same weight.

It's senseless.

Nice pic! The 1lb versus 1lb arguement is silly but the issue of density is very true. Its almost like what would you rather get smacked in the face with, a 32" steel pipe or a 32" nerf bat??
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    What weighs more? A cup of fat or a cup of muscle?

When comparing the weights of two substances, do you first weigh out a pound of each and then compare them, or take equal volumes and compare them? The first would be pointless, don't you think?
    thank you!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Nice pic! The 1lb versus 1lb arguement is silly but the issue of density is very true. Its almost like what would you rather get smacked in the face with, a 32" steel pipe or a 32" nerf bat??

No kidding, they're both 32", so they MUST be the same, regardless of the fact that one will smash your face!

Again, senseless!